Fusion Hunter-Revolver and Salute

Dylan,

A very thorough and well written review. You may have a future in the writing business!
You have given me thoughts of acquiring SOG tools and knives that I had really not considered before. Good job.

CP

Thanks for the compliments! If you want to try these out before you buy, I'm doing a passaround with them.

Dylside, great tests and write-up. Your introduction matches my impression of why SOG is and has been changing up their lineup over the last couple of years. If you want to stay in business, you have to change with the times as consumers are a bit flighty and there are so many good knives available these days. The competition is signficant.

The grippiness of the handle material has bothered me a bit and you're right about the designs creating "hotspots". This is by no means limited to the Fusion line. My reference point is the Vulcan and Mini-Vulcan knives which I like a lot.

Your review makes me want to take my pre-fusion revolver hunter out and put it through its paces. But I probably won't. I trust the knife design enough to take it to the field when I know I need a knife and that is important. The leather sheath was always one of the strong points of the knife for me and one of the reasons I chose it over the other revolver design even though I don't see using the gut hook. I have no idea how I would re-sharpen the gut hook if it lost it's edge. Maybe you can make a suggestion in that department.

Dylside, great tests and write-up. Your introduction matches my impression of why SOG is and has been changing up their lineup over the last couple of years. If you want to stay in business, you have to change with the times as consumers are a bit flighty and there are so many good knives available these days. The competition is signficant.

The grippiness of the handle material has bothered me a bit and you're right about the designs creating "hotspots". This is by no means limited to the Fusion line. My reference point is the Vulcan and Mini-Vulcan knives which I like a lot.

Your review makes me want to take my pre-fusion revolver hunter out and put it through its paces. But I probably won't. I trust the knife design enough to take it to the field when I know I need a knife and that is important. The leather sheath was always one of the strong points of the knife for me and one of the reasons I chose it over the other revolver design even though I don't see using the gut hook. I have no idea how I would re-sharpen the gut hook if it lost it's edge. Maybe you can make a suggestion in that department.

There's a diamond rod in the shape of a spike that I use for gut hooks. I've always found it hard to sharpen them, but this is the thing I've found that works the best. I use the DMT red "fine" sharpener. If you see them in a store, usually blue=course, red=fine, green=ultra fine. The red one has done everthing I've ever needed. I've never needed the blue one.

45969930.jpg

I remember looking forward to seeing this review a month or so ago and decided to look it up now. Very nice to read :) I had been wanting a new knife at the time and was curious about the SOG Salute.

I got myself the old Hunter-Revolver around 2 or 3 years ago and have loved it very much. The handle does star to get on my nerves after a while but I always took it as more of a necessary thing due to the handle also housing the other blade. The knife itself was great and the saw worked excellently when I was at the mountains w/ some friends for a week.

I didn't doubt the knife too much when it went to the Fusion line, and this review has convinced me it's perfectly fine to re-purchase if something ever happens to my old one :)

I remember looking forward to seeing this review a month or so ago and decided to look it up now. Very nice to read :) I had been wanting a new knife at the time and was curious about the SOG Salute.

The Salute is part of a pass around. You should get in on it and try it out. :thumbup: That goes for anyone thats interested in a Revolver or Salute.

Heber

It'd be cool to take part of, but I ended up buying a new folder already and shouldn't really buy another for a while :)

It'd be cool to take part of, but I ended up buying a new folder already and shouldn't really buy another for a while :)

Max, get in on the pass around. Even if you can't/shouldn't buy another knife, It's a chance at a free trial of two cool knives.

Heber

Hi Dylside -

Great reviews -

Thanks for posting them and the pictures.

best regards -

mqqn

Great review. I am going to get a seal revolver asap. Thanks for helping with my decision.

I have had exposure to the Fusion line with no great raving. I was horrified at the SOG going Fusion and spitting blood that I didn’t pick up the early version of the Revolver. My prejudices got the better of me.

Their throwers have been great to teach myself and the kids throwing. When pressed were suitable when fishing on holiday. They were easy to clean up and sharpen.

They are not the quality of the high performance blades I have come used to but being able to do what is expected of them is fine for their low price. There are so many people very short of bucks that are reduced to buying junk or make good using other kit the Fusion solves a real problem.

I am hoping to try the Fusion Bowie as a matter of interest when the $ come available. Add to this the hand axe, saw, folding spade, maybe a Spirit and a few other things put together in a basic travel pack for each car. I have some excellent gear but trundling out into the bush is a common situation and it can go down hill very fast. My friends are always borrowing kit that I would rather not lend even to best of friends but they are travelling with a GX wagon through very tough terrain. The sheath knife is always used. A full pack would even the odds, something not for everyday use but there as a back up. (sounds negative - stops everyone walking off with your kit and you finding it borrowed at inconvenient times thus a dedicated and affordable pack)

Excellent job on the Review :thumbup::thumbup:

I have the Original Seal Revolver. It makes a great camping/hiking tool :D

1245292574-Picture3.jpg

1254372054-seal_rev_fire.jpg

Back