Future Cold Steel Value

It’ll be interesting to see 15-20 yrs from now how much the original (pre sell-off) CS products will be worth, especially the popular models. I’m just a newbie when it comes to knives, but I have always liked CS….I mean who else makes a folding Boot Knife (ie. Counterpoint), LOL!!! And let’s face it, we all secretly got a kick out of the whacko promotional videos. In fact those coo-coo videos are probably what first caught my attention in the first place. Definitely a very innovative company. I think the ultimate testament to CS was that many regular everyday people (electricians, plumbers, construction, military, etc) spoke highly of CS and saw them as effective tools. So as the sun sets on CS, I’m left wondering if their original blades might just end up becoming highly coveted….even among the haters:)

I think it is likely to go the other way.

As the brand gets tarnished by poor quality knives, people will want to disassociate from the brand.

It might be ok if they only made new crappy knives, but they will likely take the classic designs and make low quality versions of them, tainting everything.

I think that the best thing that could happen, and it happened, was the logo change.

Thanks, GSM. 👏
Agree, and that change will probably be the deciding factor between the old and new stock. Out of curiousity, I looked up the Lone Star Hunter…someone is selling one at an auction site for $200+. I purchased mine new for $25 probably 7 yrs ago? I guess a lot of people were hating on it’s scales at the time, but that’s what made it unique. That knife and the Mackinac Hunter are absolute beasts (those of you that own either one know what I’m talking about). Most of my CS knives are safe queens and I’ll keep them that way.

I generally only buy CS products made in Japan or USA anyway, and that was before the GSM debacle. The GSM acquisition actually MADE ME SEEK OUT older CS era knives, when I hadn't even really been collecting much of for some years now. I actually added into my criteria "No GSM-era Logo".

I'd bet that the older stuff actually depresses the used value of the GSM era stuff. I mean, why spend $50 on a used GSM, when a used CS in the same model costs $50, and there's a metric shit ton of them out there already? Maybe I'd go $30 on the GSM for a truck knife.

I encourage everyone to keep the original packaging/box your “old steel” knife came in…the ones that say “Ventura” California. Yeah, I could be totally wrong about all this, but just in case 20 or 30 yrs down the road these knives become “vintage”, then the original packaging may even add to the value.

I encourage everyone to keep the original packaging/box your “old steel” knife came in…the ones that say “Ventura” California. Yeah, I could be totally wrong about all this, but just in case 20 or 30 yrs down the road these knives become “vintage”, then the original packaging may even add to the value.

Yeah, it's already like with any of the discontinued Cold Steel knives. AUS8 SRK made in Japan? Yeah, Cold Steel has been making an SK-5 SRK to date for $45, but the Japanese SRK still sells for $150 to $200 on eBay because not many are around and most people hang onto them. And anything made of Carbon-V may as well be gold based on the prices they are fetching right now.

I think the Cold Steel knives with the greatest long term potential are the Pre-GSM big folders made with AUS8/Carpenter Steel/AUS10/S35VN. Just imagine if GSM stops making the Espadas, Spartans, Talwars, XL Voyagers, and Raja II's? Or, replaces the steel with 4034? The older ones will be worth a fortune because everyone will want one.

Another category of Cold Steel knives that are underlooked are the entire Nightshade/Grivory lineup. Since Jan_6 there has been massive pressure to ban them around the country due to them not being able to be picked up by a metal detector. Lynn Thompson stuck his nose up at legislators, but I think investor-funded GSM would fold pretty quickly under pressure to get rid of them. Everybody wants something that's hard to get, so I can see these becoming very collectable in the future after they were banned.

Everything in the drop forged line is also potentially really collectable. Where else are you going to get a drop forged, 52100 steel knife like Drop Forged Hunter for $33? No where. I can see these being on the GSM chopping block first because they are more expensive to produce and are decent but not super hot sellers. Drop forged 52100 is superior to even Carbon V, and anything in Carbon V is now worth bucks.

The Urban Pal and Super Edge are still made in Japan with the old logo at only $19.99. How long will they be made there? Definitely a future collectable.

And of course, any discontinued Cold Steel Bowie is going to be sought after in the future.

Last edited:
I mean, yeah, we have “collectible” models like the Taipan and Master Tanto. I suspect their value will go up in the years to come especially if kept unused. But you don’t really buy Cold Steels to sell off later or stash as safe queens. You buy ‘em to use ‘em. If you wanna sell knives, other brands are more suited for that I think (Spyderco sprint runs, limited edition Chris Reeves, etc.).

Just my two cents though. No wrong way to enjoy knives as long as no one is hurt. 😄

Spydies are definately more collectible as a whole - they did a great job with steel/color of the month, as far as collecting goes.

I think some CS knives, especially the higher end models (Natchez, Trailmaster, etc...) in quality steels (Carbon V, SM III, etc...) will climb. 3V items will probably be in demand, if they never get legs and make more of them.

Last edited:
I am wondering if as the new anti gun laws continue it will push up the prices on certain types of knives. I keep a 1911 and a MT IX around just in case, if I can stab instead of shoot I will do that, much less hassle from the authorities.

I am wondering if as the new anti gun laws continue it will push up the prices on certain types of knives. I keep a 1911 and a MT IX around just in case, if I can stab instead of shoot I will do that, much less hassle from the authorities.
I was thinking about this exact same issue recently. I hope that day never comes where knives actually start getting banned, but I’m sure it’s on the horizon. If I’m not mistaken, Great Britain has strict knife laws. Of course passing such laws won’t make any difference in the end…will just harm law abiding citizens. In that respect, CS has some nice offerings for self defense.

Cold Steel knives are tough, reliable, and utilitarian, which I like. LT is a bold man. An innovative company? I'm not sure. What did they exactly innovate? San Mai? Last time I checked, it is not a CS innovation. American tanto? That might be only half true at the best. I do applaud they went for those XL folders, if that's what is meant by being "innovative."

If you have some old CS knives, keep them and I don't see their value decrease in the future though I don't expect it increase dramatically either. Inexpensive knives (which most old CS folding knives fall into) rarely increase the value significantly. There might be a few exceptions.

Back