FYI: US cops caught with guns in Mexico

Naturally our "liberal" news media never made mention of this. I saw this on the Spanish news channel last night: two off-duty, San Fransisco PD, cops were caught and arrested in Tijuana, Mexico with their high-capacity, semi automatic, pistols and SFPD badges. These two guys sure looked nervous and scared posing behind the evidence table. I don't know what these guys were thinking carrying their guns into Mexico since it is illegal as sh!# to do so! I seriously doubt the Tijauna PD will extend a "professional courtesy" to these guys.

In case some of you law-enforcement types don't know this yet, your guns are illegal and your badges are literally not worth a "hill of beans" in Mexico or most other countries. There are signs on the highways leading into Mexico stating that guns are illegal there. I realize we all want to be "armed and ready" at all times but that scenario changes when we step out of the US. If you ever accidently bring a gun or even ammo into Mexico, I would advise you to disassemble it and throw it away before you get caught with it since it is a lot cheaper than spending a few years and thousands of dollars behind bars.

I would like to know more details about this situation but I only caught part of the news. If anyone else can clarify things please speak up. Just my $.02:(

.....and I am sure a firearm would not be a bad idea overall in our closest Third World neighbor to the South.

I lived in Tucson for a few years. I visited Mexico several times.

Made me glad to be able to go home....America.:D

American citizens ought to be able to carry them down there....or we cut off all of our financial aid.

The following artilces are extracted from the Mexican Federal Law for Firearms and Explosives:

Article 26.
"Licenses for firearms carrying shall be single for individuals, or colective for entities, when the following requisites are accomplished:

For Individuals:
- Have an honest way of life,
- Don't have mental o physical impediments for firearms use,
- Don't have been convicted for felony,
- Don't ingest drugs or enervanting substances,
- Demonstrate before the National Defense Secretary the need for carrying firearms because of: the nature of the job, special circumstances in the living place or any other justified reason.

Also can be authorized licenses, for one or several firearms, for sport activities or hunting, only if the concerned is member of some certified club or organization and accomplish the first four requisites above stated..."

Article 27.
"Foreigners shall be authorized for carrying firearms when, besides the fulfillment of the requisites stated in the preceding article, demonstrate their status as nationalized inmigrants, except in the case of temporary licenses for tourists with sporting purposes"

So, as you can see, you are able to get a license for carrying certain firearms in Mexico, as far as you accomplish the same requisites we Mexicans have to fulfill before the Defense Secretary. Of course there are caliber limits since some firearms have been reserved for the army use only.

back in the late 70's i did some whitewing hunting in mexico, and the guy had guns for us to use (and good ones too, browning 12 and 20 O/U, remington 870/1100 12 and 20, and a few others to choose from) because even then it was a hassle to bring in guns/ammo, though it could be done, my bud brought his - it is harder now i bet - oh and one other criteria to carry a firearm in mexico, being a drug dealer lol they all have AKM's or M16's - but the typical mex citizen, unless military/police, dont have guns.....WTF were those cops thinking?? i imagine they'll end up being released, but i bet it takes a while, and some $$, the cure all for probs in mexico, as long as ya know WHO to pay off lol

sifu

The firearms violation is probably a minor part of this. What were two buddy cops doing in mexico with guns in the first place. When we dig a little we will probably turn a a couple of corrupt cops.

Crooked cops?? No way! In reality, I was trying not to say that.

Actually a few months ago another off-duty cop from Chicago was busted trying to sell some kilos of powder down here that he had stolen from some drug dealers or evidence room. The cops here suspected him and his cronies were going to try to steal the money from the new "buyer". Furthermore, he had some stolen merchandise he was trying to sell. This place seems to draw these crooked bastids from all over. They just give the rest of the cops bad names.

Our cops "corruption" ain't **** compared to the number of money-hungry, badge-toting, vultures south of the border. The new "Presidente Fox" seems to be cracking down on these guys. I sure hope so. Believe it or not, the Mexican Nationals that are familiar with the US say our cops are a lot meaner since they won't hesitate to shoot you whereas their cops just want money!

:eek:

I'll be damned. I always thought/was told that firearms were a total No-No.

I guess I was wrong...

I shall research further.:D

You are all right, one of our biggest problems is the corruption in several levels: from the street cops to the bureaucrats at government offices. Things are changing now, but it will take a long time to clean our government.

Execution Style, firearms are allowed but the hard part is to convince the authorities you need the gun and a license to own or carry one. On the other hand, there is a limit for calibers above .380 with several exceptions and special circumstances. If you live in rural areas you may own almost any shotgun.If you are a hunter you can have higher power rifles (including semi-automatics) only if you have a permission for use it in other countries for hunting fauna non-existent in Mexican land. In real life, most of the legally owned firearms are caliber .22 (not a great thing) and the rest is reserved for army and police use.

Edited for including a side note: Mexican charros are allowed to carry higher caliber revolvers as complement for the traditional attire, but they must be empty (duh).

Orozcov,

My wife and I are thinking about "Early retirement" in a few years and finding a small hotel, bed and breakfast kind of business to run, and Mexico is one of our choices of countries. Do you think a business owner from the States could apply and get a permit to have a gun in Mexico, and what are the carry laws concerning knives?

I have always enjoyed visiting your country.

Just curious,

Mark

Back