1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

G-10 Handled Folders Question

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Guyon, Apr 11, 2000.

1. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    I apparently began buying Spydercos in the nick of time. To me, you can't beat the smaller folders in G-10 that Spyderco makes, and I've managed to acquire the Standard, the Rookie, and the Wegner Jr. before they were gone for good.

Since these three have all been discontinued, does Spyderco have any new designs planned for a G-10 handled folder with a blade around 3 inches?

------------------
    Guyon
    AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
    -William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

2. KenN

KenN

Jan 26, 1999
    Guyon,

Don't know if you already know about these, but if not:
    I believe the Bram Frank designed Gunting has a blade just a hair under 3" and the J. Keating designed Chinook will come in a smaller version with an aproximate 3" blade. Both are martial bladecraft models and the Gunting should be out in the near future.
    Hope that helps.

Ken

3. Guyon

Mar 15, 2000
    Thanks Ken. It's encouraging that Spyderco is continuing to use G-10 in these models, but they're a tad too "martial" for my tastes. I'm more curious about general utility blades in a G-10 handle.

------------------
    Guyon
    AKTI Member #A001044

4. Lokelani

Lokelani

Sep 20, 1999
    Guyon-
    Thought I'd mention a few other Spydie's with G-10 handles:
    #SP C25 Centofante blade length: 2 7/8"
    #SP C50 Centofante blade length: 3 5/8"
    #SP C24 Black Hawk blade length: 3"
    #SP C 19 Terzuola blade length: 2 3/4"
    Hope this helps.
    Aloha-
    Patti @ IDB

5. The Black Hawk and Terzoula have been discontinued for much longer than the Standard, Rookie, or Wegner jr.

6. Guyon

Mar 15, 2000
    That's what I thought too, Anthony. As for the Centofante, it's a sharp design, and I may eventually wind up with one. But I wonder about its worth as a general, work, utility blade. It seems a bit thin and a bit pricey for general carry. Seems more appropriate for dress-up to me.

My question still stands. Will Spyderco continue to make any smaller folders for general use in the G-10 handles?

------------------
    Guyon
    AKTI Member #A001044

7. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Guyon - G-10 is a good handle material and we are sure to continue to use it in new models. The recent "drop" of many models was simply because we had too many and couldn't handle or afford the large number of SKUs.

We'll probably have a few "concept" models in that size range at the "Blade Show".

sal

8. Guyon

Mar 15, 2000
    Thanks Sal. I'm relieved to hear Spyderco won't likely give up on this great material in the smaller folders. I'd already harbored thoughts of stockpiling smaller folders in G-10 but would prefer to enjoy newer models as they come out. Also, you've given me one more possible reason to make the trek to Atlanta in June. If you do have some concept models, I'll certainly be interested in taking a look.

------------------
    Guyon
    AKTI Member #A001044

9. cut finger

cut finger

Sep 20, 1999
    Guyon, you might try to get a Blue/Bladeforums Native. It has G-10 scales and a CPM 440V blade.

10. Lokelani

Lokelani

Sep 20, 1999
    The Blackhawk and the Terzuola are discontinued, but are still available for those who are interested.
    Aloha-
    Patti @ IDB