G-Rex ?

slowride11

Gold Member
It`s been too long and my memory has faded, what exactly are G-Rex handles, are they always the same material or do they vary? Thanks.

"G-Rex" scales are G-10 slabs with the front area cut out for a bolster of different material.

I know of at least one G-Rex’d SFNO that was Micarta for both sections, but of course in contrasting colors and possibly in type of Micarta. Unless I am mistaken.

1,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=2,backgroundColor=000000.jpg

Other way around, I think...Bolster is usually g10 from what I've seen, with wood, micarta, contrasting g10 for rest of handle.
Oh yeah, whoops, that's what I meant, lol. Like in Petey's image above.

Lol, brain to hand disconnect when I typed that sentence.

Great SpyderPhreak and Petey! Huh. I could swear I have now seen two all-Micarta "G-"Rex's though. But they ain't mine so what do I know!

"M-"Rex'd???!

Yup, that is the second of which I speak. Looks like both are linen Micarta, but what do I know and I don't recall a Red & Black Micarta . . . .

BEAUTIFUL, though!!!

They look like micarta to me...View attachment 1356435
Yup, that is the second of which I speak. Looks like both are linen Micarta, but what do I know and I don't recall a Red & Black Micarta . . . .

BEAUTIFUL, though!!!
Black G-10 and red/black G-10. If you look closely, you can see the checkerboard-looking fiberglass weave in the mats used to make the composite. Micarta has a bit of a different look.

Black G-10 and red/black G-10. If you look closely, you can see the checkerboard-looking fiberglass weave in the mats used to make the composite. Micarta has a bit of a different look.

Great catch and call. I just put on my readers o_O and took a close look at some custom shop G-10 and linen Micarta side by side.

I do believe you called it. Thanks for the explanation of that subtle difference. And it is subtle on the two I just checked. Textured it so easy to tell the difference (to my eye).

Garth = Garth Rex (G-Rex for short)

Garth was the one who started making Busse's this way, so it's naturally named after him... or at least his nickname... :)

The bolster can be made of any material from what I've seen, usually G-10... occasionally micarta or other materials.

Howdy, Garth!!! Did you make this CS Flak Jack?? :confused::cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back