G-Shocks

I have been wearing a Caio F-105 for 7-8 years now and it's finally starting to give up the ghost. The battery is fine but the plastic that holds the pins in is wearing away. Life tends to be hard on my watches and it handled everything remarkably well but I would still like to upgrade a bit and I would like a G-shock but I have a few questions.

Which G-shock under $100 has the smallest "footprint" (smallest radius/thinnest)?

Is the Waveceptor atomic function a passive receiver or does it send and receive information? Is it's utility worth it?

Does the Tough Solar feature re-charge in any light or just sunlight? Also I have read that the solar batteries don't perform as well as the usual ones. Has that been your experience or do they keep working for you?

I have a Pathfinder with Atomic Timekeeping and a Solar Rechargeable Battery and it's great. It calibrates with Ft. Collins every night and it's always fully charged. I'm not sure which G-shock you want but here are answers to your questions.
Is the Waveceptor atomic function a passive receiver or does it send and receive information? Is it's utility worth it?
The watch is only a receiver, it does not transmit and yes it's a good feature.
Does the Tough Solar feature re-charge in any light or just sunlight?
Any light but sun is the most efficient.
Also I have read that the solar batteries don't perform as well as the usual ones.
My watch is always fully charged, power is never an issue.

paw1200t-7v_detail.gif

Is the Waveceptor atomic function. . . worth it?

Absolutely. If you like having an accurate watch, this is it. I check my G-Shock Riseman (altimeter, barometer, thermometer) every morning to confirm that it has received the signal during the night. Its nice to have a watch which is accurate down to the second. Everyday.

Which G-shock under $100 has the smallest "footprint" (smallest radius/thinnest)?

I think its the DW5600 series, i also think its one of the most comfortable-

I have 1 watch with the Waveceptor function, and 2 without it. I dont think its worth it...its a pretty neat function, but its not like my regular G-Shocks misses several minutes a week and needs to be reset all the time. I like the feature and the fact that my watch is precise, but ive found out that its not worth the (often) steep price hike. My regular no-frills G-shock tells time just as well, as the fancy models.

Thanks for all the advice. Currently the ones on my shortlist are: DW5600E-1V, GW5600J-1, GWM5600-1CR. I may be leaning toward the 1CR at the moment. It has the smallest case diameter and even the DW I tried on in a store felt rather large.

NorCalMtn2 how old is your watch. The negative reviews about Tough Solar stated the issues started after 3 months.

I wear a titanium Casio ProTrek with altimeter/barometer/compass. Solar charged battery too--absolutely no issues after two years.

NorCalMtn2 how old is your watch. The negative reviews about Tough Solar stated the issues started after 3 months.

I've had a tough solar for about 8 years now, still going strong. Love it.

Thanks for the reassurance. Looks like I'll probably be going for an Atomic Tough Solar after all.

I picked up a GWM5600 on Amazon just for my vacation so I could tell what day of the week and month it was. (Movados are not particularly good at that.) And the Solar Atomic functions work great. Love the watch. The auto-EL is also a very useful function, IMO.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward a GWM5600-1CR though the mud resist feature on the Mudman watches has caught my eye. The thing is I'm not crazy about a 5.6 oz watch. Has anyone ever had issues with a G-shock due to mud?

I own a GW-M5600 and it has seen (salt) water, mud, sand and rocks. It still works fine, I don't have issues with it. I also own a Mudman (G-9010), but I wonder if it is much more mud resistant than the GW-M5600. Some guys on the G-Shock forum say that the mud resist feature is mainly a marketing thing.

The G-9010 is 54 grams and the GW-M5600 is 47 grams, so it isn't that much heavier. The G-9010 is 4 mm thicker. The case design of the G-9010 however makes it look much smaller than it is.

i have a G2900 G shock watch. love them. the last one i had lasted well over 5yrs. i am not easy on my watches. in that 5-8yrs i only replaced the battery once and the band once. it finally fell apart on the face. it still worked fine just ugly bc the rubber came off. the G2900 is like 60 bucks at walmart and has a 10yr battery life.

i had a casio (cant remember the brand) that had the digital compass. liked the watch but the bands kept breaking and i had to calibrate the compass quite a few times. not a big deal really and it did come in handy. i still have that watch and may put a new band and a new battery in it to keep it on the side.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward a GWM5600-1CR though the mud resist feature on the Mudman watches has caught my eye. The thing is I'm not crazy about a 5.6 oz watch. Has anyone ever had issues with a G-shock due to mud?[/QUOTE]

hell no. dont fall for that mud crap. any Gshock can handle tons of water and mud.

Thanks. I had a feeling the Mud Resist feature wouldn't do much. I'm definitely going with the GWM5600-1CR. The face looks much more readable which seems rather important for a watch to have in my opinion.

I have a Mudman. While it's large, it wears very comfortably. When I show it to friends I demo it's robustness by throwing it at my wall before I put it on.

@quattrokid73
I have heard many find it the most comfortable watch ever. Others are annoyed by the nubs. I'd rather not take that risk at the moment. Though I must admit I have come to really like their look. Perhaps some other time.

Back