G10

Hi , I have the Fox Knives Recon with G10 handle scales, which are ridiculously smooth and provide virtually no traction. Is there a way to rough them up ? I tried sandpaper but that didn’t make much difference. I was thinking about using a Dremel to make little dimples like a golf ball.
Thanks in advance.

jux t

Gold Member
Hi , I have the Fox Knives Recon with G10 handle scales, which are ridiculously smooth and provide virtually no traction. Is there a way to rough them up ? I tried sandpaper but that didn’t make much difference. I was thinking about using a Dremel to make little dimples like a golf ball.
Thanks in advance.
A dremel could work well, I’ve seen it done. Be careful of the airborne dust that is produced as it contains glass fibers. Maybe run water over it as you do it and definitely wear an appropriate mask.

Are you sure it's G10? All the ones I see have micarta handles.

Either way, when I work micarta or G10 I prefer to do it outside with a fan blowing across me to blow the dust away. And I wear a mask.

Where not talking cyanide dust, but you still don't want to be breathing the stuff.

Another option for making a handle very grippy is Plastidip. It creates a rubber coating. And if you don't like it, you can peel it right off. I use it on several knives.

Are you sure it's G10? All the ones I see have micarta handles.

Either way, when I work micarta or G10 I prefer to do it outside with a fan blowing across me to blow the dust away. And I wear a mask.

Where not talking cyanide dust, but you still don't want to be breathing the stuff.

Another option for making a handle very grippy is Plastidip. It creates a rubber coating. And if you don't like it, you can peel it right off. I use it on several knives.

yes definitely G10 with black coated blade the micarta with uncoated blade models were sold out . Thanks I’ll try Plastidip.

yes definitely G10 with black coated blade the micarta with uncoated blade models were sold out . Thanks I’ll try Plastidip.

Some advice on Plastidip (it comes in dip and spray, I've only used the dip)-

Following the directions on the can is very important. I's not rocket science, but following the directions yields the best result.

It goes on thick, but it dries thin. One dip looks like it will be enough when it's wet, but it's not. I use a minimum of 3 dips on my fixed-blade handles.

Don't store the unused dip in the can. Even with the plastic lid the can will not stay air-tight. Plastidip must be stored in an air-tight container otherwise the solvent that keeps the rubber in liquid form will evaporate and the dip will get thicker, and then turn solid. I use a new glass jar to store the extra, choosing a jar as close in size to the amount of dip left so there will be as little empty space as possible in the jar for the solvent to convert from liquid to gas. I get my jars from Hobby Lobby, they have a wide variety.

As far as I know, Plasidip only comes in 2 colors, yellow and black. Don't go by the picture on the can, you'll want to read the label to know what color it is.

The bottom 3 knives in this pic have Plastidip (3 dips each).

XALwfQd.jpg

What it is like when you have the knife in hand? Is it rubbery or solid?
How is the traction when the handle is dry? And wet?

It has a smooth, solid, dry feel. It's not tacky or sticky, clothing brushes/slides over it. I find it grippy with both wet and dry hands, more so with wet (slightly sweaty) hands. With slightly moist hands the handles feel like their glued in my hand. I've been using it for several years now.

Spikediesel

Spare time SAK builder
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Glass bead blasting G10 will give it a grippy texture while keeping the existing contours and a coating of WD-40 will bring the color back.

T
Some advice on Plastidip (it comes in dip and spray, I've only used the dip)-

Following the directions on the can is very important. I's not rocket science, but following the directions yields the best result.

It goes on thick, but it dries thin. One dip looks like it will be enough when it's wet, but it's not. I use a minimum of 3 dips on my fixed-blade handles.

Don't store the unused dip in the can. Even with the plastic lid the can will not stay air-tight. Plastidip must be stored in an air-tight container otherwise the solvent that keeps the rubber in liquid form will evaporate and the dip will get thicker, and then turn solid. I use a new glass jar to store the extra, choosing a jar as close in size to the amount of dip left so there will be as little empty space as possible in the jar for the solvent to convert from liquid to gas. I get my jars from Hobby Lobby, they have a wide variety.

As far as I know, Plasidip only comes in 2 colors, yellow and black. Don't go by the picture on the can, you'll want to read the label to know what color it is.

The bottom 3 knives in this pic have Plastidip (3 dips each).

XALwfQd.jpg
Thank you for taking the time writing all that information to help me, it’s much appreciated.