Pictures here! Gallery

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I designed this knife for Bruce 'Bing' Bingenheimer around 2014. It's called 'Bingalor', (as in Bing and Lorien). I've designed a number of folding knives, but this particular model is my favourite.

Bruce and I were very close, and his death several years ago was a crushing blow to me all who knew him- he was a very nice man and highly regarded here on Bladeforums and elsewhere.

I think it's fitting to start this gallery off with this photo, (by Caleb Royer) because I have doubts that I would be pursuing a knife making career if it weren't for my friend and mentor, Bing. Rest in peace, you lovely human.

4U1yklY.jpg

Last edited:
this knife- I called it River Knife- was my very first 'commission', ie; I kinda got paid for it. 154CM and multi layer G10 handle. Looking at it now feels a little cringey, but it was extremely challenging to make and I'm glad I did
8XXGE6Y.jpg

GZNq1Jv.jpg

Yl3AY3k.jpg

rYoXhzu.jpg

Last edited:
If memory serves, this is the third knife I made. The blade is S30V, walnut handle and copper guard. Apart from a drill press, it was made entirely with hand tools since I didn't have a grinder at the time- just files, hacksaw, sandpaper etc.

Ultimately, (unbeknownst to me or anyone else at the time) it would become the prototype for the Light Chopper, (LC) that I designed for Carothers Performance Knives.
It resides with my friend, Matthew Gregory Matthew Gregory

zlFK0Bn.jpg

this is kind of a weird knife I made awhile ago. It took years and years to finish, because I wasn't flush with time to make knives when I started it. But, I plugged away at it until one day- it was done!

Now, a lot of people would refer to this knife as a 'fighter!', but to me it's more of a fantasy knife. Yup, it's quick and agile and would probably be pretty deadly in the type of circumstance where those things would matter, but let's face it- it's a show piece. Something fun that I let my imagination run free with. It has the same handle material that I made for the River Knife, and belongs to the same guy I made that knife for. I think this is the first knife I actually got paid cash dollars for.

JZU14GI.jpg

hpkn9oN.jpg

ntzx5OW.jpg

JVCeg3F.jpg

My daughter checked out the sheath and display stand that you made for my seax. She was very impressed and especially liked the copper (great minds...).

Lorien edited here;

PXL_20220811_203713977.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter checked out the sheath and display stand that you made for my seax. She was very impressed and especially liked the copper (great minds...).View attachment 1943059
thanks for posting that, Richard:thumbsup:
If you don't mind, I'll add some of the pics and videos that I took to your post

here's a little utility knife I made fairly recently;
ZJBtTYF.jpg

n4FvWr8.jpg

zKXmHn7.jpg

cJR6bMD.jpg

zawWDDv.jpg

It was experimental, so there are some details and refinements that just didn't get done. The blade is A2 and the handle is lightning strike carbon fiber.

I'm currently working on an updated version in AEB-L with G10 for the handle.

I edited Richard338 Richard338 's post above and added some video

Here's one that I started YEARS ago and finished about 6 months ago.

It was originally designed for a company called Millbrook Tactical, which was an instruction based company who provided training for all sorts of high speed low drag types. The idea being it would be a limited run with fancy packaging and stuff. They called it 'Sentinel', which I think is a little cheesy but it's probably apt, given the gig and whatnot. Unfortunately, the whole thing fell through when the contractor we were working with shat the bed.

So, I designed this knife based closely off the original pattern and had it waterjet cut from 154CM. It's a stout .189" thick and uses the same sheet of laminated G10 that two of the previous knives I posted are made from. Incidentally, all 3 reside with the same person, who was the first person I ever sold a knife to. This is the first knife I made using corby bolts, and although I'm a fan, they kicked my ass. They're stainless, so quite a bit harder than the G10 and it took me HOURS trying to get them from standing proud of the handle material. Now, I'm sure I could pull it off in a fraction of the time, and actually have two knives on the bench right now designed for corbys. So, we'll see.

N7p3B4D.jpg

NHZ9mIv.jpg

7oMo7BP.jpg

uIpWcFv.jpg

fQAAWQQ.jpg

6n6GCdz.jpg

y8N7GsC.jpg

rzTpq9a.jpg

I was pretty damn happy with how this knife turned out and would have been pleased to keep it for myself!

this scabby thing was the first prototype I made for Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist which would later become the DEK1. The handle sculpting was subpar and I thought the project might die...
R1Pw93x.jpg

A3QMiRN.jpg

but then I found out I just needed to make a sparkly purple handle for it and we were good to go!
h6s0hQk.jpg

I delivered this knife to my friend of many years, Edward Tuson, for him to use in his meat shop. He told me about his huge accumulation of knives from years of being a chef, and how he was amazed by how well the one I made for him held its edge! That was high praise.

The blade is 8mm thick A2, made out of a drop from my prototype khukuri for Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist . The guard and buttcap are the some material. Edward had mentioned that purpleheart was his favourite wood for knife handles, and I happened to have some pretty nice pieces kicking around from a hull tech I knew years ago.

Edward passed away recently, his memorial is in a few days. It was pretty tragic- he'd made some huge, positive, life changing plans, was looking really fit and ready to change shit up. Had a heart attack in the night, never awoke.
Of mice and men...

dbtW3YH.jpg

HqOrhjI.jpg

opFTIBq.jpg

SRSzfhf.jpg

yGZzFXh.jpg

Qo7dUAO.jpg

Back