Review Ganzo FH922 D2

old4570

Banned By Request

Ganzo FH922 D2
HRC65 Files Skates over the blade ( No bite )

Factory edge gave a 250 slice fail ..
My guided 22deg edge gave a 250 slice fail .

This steel is hard - too hard ? Brittle maybe .. 250 slices for D2 is not great , or good !
Other than that it seems like a well made knife ..
So I put the knife to the white whale , I mean the white wheel ..
The resulting edge was / is sharp .. How will it fare at the rope ... ?
Till next time ...

The White Wheel !
The Ganzo got to some seven hundred slices ( I lost count ) and by then my hands were so cold = I GAVE UP !
That's right , I gave up before the Ganzo did !
At seven hundred slices the Ganzo was feeling it ( or was it me ? - maybe both )
But from un impressive to Boss Performance !
The 65HRC file skates over the blade , no hint of bite ! So the blade steel is hard .
But looks like the steel likes the white wheel !
Video Soon:

So after coming inside , I sliced some inside paper and it sliced better !
So the paper I took outside did absorb some moisture !

Last edited:
Your 80 grit "white wheel" raised your cut test from 250 to 700 cuts on Ganzo FH922 D2 at 22 degrees that your 65HRC file could not bite into... not bad for 30 for so dollars. Wonder how Ontario's Rat 2 in D2 would do...?

? Dont know what the bevel angle is ?
Between 18 and 20 degrees is my guess .. I forgot to check ..
My hands were so cold .. ( Suxs getting older )

My hands were so cold .. ( Suxs getting older )
Hope your not experiencing repetitive stress syndrome like Jim Ankerson here, or Pete from Cedric and Ada utubes. At least your not testing m390/CPM 20cv/Carpenter 204, M4, 3V, REX121 or Sanderin's Tungsten Cobalt blades. Take care.
I went looking for the FH922 D2 for gifting, prompted by your posts, but decided on Dozier and Ontario in D2.

It's the cold weather ! The colder my hands , the worse it is ..
And this would be the coldest / wettest winter in quite a while ..

RSI ? = I hope not !

Pardon me if this was already posted somewhere, but would you please clarify what constitutes a “fail” in your cutting tests and what your sharpening method/equipment procedure is? Or direct me to the right thread?

Thank you!

Blue Sky, I went over to old4570's utubes and searched thru thumbnails and descriptions to see his sharpening tools n process. Fail is no longer slides thru paper. His cut count is way higher for these steels then Ankerson, and Pete at Cedric and Ada who both used different tools n sharpening process and rope.

Pardon me if this was already posted somewhere, but would you please clarify what constitutes a “fail” in your cutting tests and what your sharpening method/equipment procedure is? Or direct me to the right thread?

Thank you!
Rope = 10mm Twisted Sisal ( Should be same as Cedric Ada ) with a pine board ..
Regular edge = 22 degree guided knife sharpener edge .. Cleaned up with 800 grit oxide ( De burr )
Wet Stone grinder 200mm - Factory ( wears a 220 grit wheel ) Edge is usually between 18 and 20 degrees unless I specifically try for 22 degrees .

To the wet stone grinder I have added a 200mm 60 grit ( bench grinder ) wheel !
Seeing how well some knives responded to the 60 grit wheel ..... I purchased a 80 grit 250mm Wheel . ( Bench grinder wheel )

Guided knife sharpeners = 3 ....
I have some 3 guided knife sharpeners now ..
Leather strops = 4 ..

Fail = Fails to slice printer paper ..
So I cut rope till the knife fails to cut / slice the printer paper ..
I go for a hard fail , knife actually / physically fails ... I dont want to make it about opinion , it either slices the paper or not !

Plan is to talk about sharpening at a latter date ..
Why knives respond diferently and the possible cause ..
I have a few more knives for 80 grit testing ..
But Utube is full of sharpening advice by experts , I'm not an expert !
One day , I would perhaps like to put my edge against others ( head to head so to speak ) .... Could be interesting to see how far behind I am .........

Last edited:
Thank you both! There’s a lot of info there and I wanted to be sure I understood it correctly. I’d like to see the wet grinder in action someday, that sounds interesting.

Thank you both! There’s a lot of info there and I wanted to be sure I understood it correctly. I’d like to see the wet grinder in action someday, that sounds interesting.
I have posted video ...
Start of the Ganzo 700 video ( Short ) ..

And this one is me grinding the Ganzo till the cam battery gave out ..
Battery gave out just as I was almost done !

60 grit 200mm Wheel ..

^^Thanks. I look forward to working my way through your video channel.

IMGP1400.jpg

Here is a picture I took .. Here you can see a hollow / dip in the bevel ..
Now with a guided knife sharpener , it follows this dip .. The wet stone grinder does not and shows it up right away ..
So even though I had cleaned up the factory edge with the guided knife sharpener and it looked good .
The wet stone grinder showed up a whole bunch of FUBAR .. That had to be cleaned up .. Pictured is the last of the FUBAR ..
See RR1869 review ..

Back