1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Garage sale axe find with a surprise (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by RockyMtnBushcraft, Oct 6, 2012.

1. RockyMtnBushcraft

RockyMtnBushcraft

Apr 14, 2012
    I was at a garage sale recently and found these gems hiding in a dark corner of the seller's garage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The double-bit is a 3.2 Pound Mann "KnotKlipper" Western Double-Bit. Except for a chip out of the one side of the bit, the overall head was in excellent condition. I was rather shocked to see how it turned out after restoring it (check out the restoration pics below).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pulaski is a 3.3 pound Kelly Works True Temper Flint Edge, stamped "C.S.F.S." (Colorado State Forest Service). My guess is that it was made in the 1950s, and was used by the CSFS until more recent times, based on the condition of the handle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage "Lakeside" Montgomery Wards axe head. I plan to to restore this head at a later date and give it to a friend.

[​IMG]

RESTORATION

The CSFS Pulaski cleaned up nicely. I reseated the head on the handle, removed the rust with naval jelly, and oiled the head. I also reprofiled the edge with a belt sander. The steel on this axe is really outstanding, as it took an edge as sharp as my best Mora knives. I also like the natural patina that's formed over most of the head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Mann KnotKlipper was the real shocker of the bunch. After several scrub-downs with a brass wire brush and naval jelly, it looks almost like a brand new axe head. The temper lines are also nice and clear.

[​IMG]

My only conundrum is whether to keep it the way it is as a historical piece, or re-handle it and use it the way it was intended to be used. Decisions decisions!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Why can't I find garage sales like that? [​IMG]

Those are fine axes. That pulaski came out great. And dang! The Knot Klipper looks fresh from the factory.

Why not do both? That original handle don't look too bad. If you remove it carefully (there's a thread here on BF about how to do that) you can re-hang on the original haft and be good to go.

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Wowza! Great job on those--both the find and the restoration work! That Pulaski is a real fine example!

4. slaroy

slaroy

Jul 9, 2012
    That's it. I'm gonna have to start going to garage sales again...

Great finds!

5. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Those are some very nice finds !
    Good work :)

6. jwaj

jwaj

Dec 19, 2002
    You really did great finding those. They all cleaned up real nice, especially the Knot Klipper. Great job and thanks for sharing.

7. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Woooweee...that Knot Klipper is sweet!!!

8. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Lakeside is a Ward's brand? I had the notion they were from Lakeside Forge in Lakeside Michigan on Tamarack Lake.
    Great bunch of axes.

9. RockyMtnBushcraft

RockyMtnBushcraft

Apr 14, 2012

Square_peg, yes, the handle is probably decent enough to get some life out of if I put a little work into it. This axe balances superbly, and feels really light in the hand. I'm really looking forward to getting her up to speed and start doing some bucking and felling.

10. RockyMtnBushcraft

RockyMtnBushcraft

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks fellow axe nuts! I was pretty ecstatic when I saw the metal starting to show underneath as I scrubbed that KnotKlipper with naval jelly. Took a couple of hours, but it was definitely well worth it. I've decided to put it into service and start using it. The handle just needs some TLC, and I think I can get some more life out of it before having to re-handle it. I'll probably sell the Forest Service pulaski. Got bills to pay, and it's just too nice to start chopping up roots with!

11. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    "THANKS FELLOW AXE NUTS"

Are you calling us crazy :D

12. RockyMtnBushcraft

RockyMtnBushcraft

Apr 14, 2012
    Absolutely! And add me to that list, ha!

13. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Hey, now! I resemble that remark.

14. rjdankert

rjdankert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    seems like you may as well go the rest of the way at this point, rehandle it and get to choppin

15. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Somehow I missed this post. Really nice work there. The Knot Klipper was the caddy of the Mann Edge Tool axe lines. Very hardy durable, sought after axes. Well done on the find, restore, and sharpening jobs.

16. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Wanna trade a GB double for that Mann????????????????

17. RockyMtnBushcraft

RockyMtnBushcraft

Apr 14, 2012
    PM sent EDITED- Can't PM or email you, please send me a PM, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  18. RockyMtnBushcraft

RockyMtnBushcraft

Apr 14, 2012
    Operator-

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, the Mann KnotKlipper appears to be an exceptional axe. I took it out this week and played with it, and it really chops! Light in the hand, extremely well balanced, and hits with pinpoint accuracy. Helds its edge well too. Can we say "addicting?" :)

19. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    Great find, and great restoration!

20. Adventure Wolf

Adventure Wolf

Sep 1, 2012
    Lucky! I wish I could find stuff at garage sales like that.