Garage Sale / Craigslist Finds

Garage sales are a waste of time around here. Nothing but baby clothing. Estate sales are where it's at. Prices are often still too high if they make it an auction, but if it's just a yard sale style estate sale, you can find deals on tools.

Leg/post vises are the only vises that should really be beat on with a hammer. Being forged steel they won't have the risk of cracking like a machinists vise will.
I've got a 7.5" one I rather love.
I believe I read something that said there's also something about the fact that the threaded rod/screw that closes the vise, attaches to a loose nut on the back side of the vise rather than a welded nut, that has something to do with it's ability to be beaten on vs. beating on a bench vise.

I believe I read something that said there's also something about the fact that the threaded rod/screw that closes the vise, attaches to a loose nut on the back side of the vise rather than a welded nut, that has something to do with it's ability to be beaten on vs. beating on a bench vise.
The loose nut allows the threaded rod to swing up & down. Nut usually fits on two protrusion & dimples oriented horizontally.
Geometry of a pivoting jaw requires it. Machinist vise jaw slides axially, its nut does not need to be movable, but sometimes do use a loose nut of some configuration to allow sloppy tolerences gained thru wear & tear or just sloppy manufacture.

Last edited:
I recently found a Ridgid 400a pipe threader on Craigslist. They can be used for twisting Damascus. I traded a creepy little Santa doll for it :D

Since I don’t even have a forge press yet, or a nice larger forge, I’m thinking about trading it for a larger forge to a local Bladesmith.

This is what I traded for the pipe threader:
CpHnUYK.jpg

9ssY5Iu.jpg

Picked up 32 four person tents for my school recently...free! Great shape and nicer end tents. Had been used one week a year for 6 years by a bike race association. They sold for $320 brand new. They go around $120 second hand....so $3600ish dollars worth. I will post pictures when I get the kids sorting everything out.

OK, since the season is starting up for many of us, I'll kit it off again. :)

$150 bucks! Sweet sweet metal.

Man that is sweet! I really need to get a lathe! They are so rare and expensive down here!

Man that is sweet! I really need to get a lathe! They are so rare and expensive down here!

Well, I have to confess, I paid $600 for one just like this, in much worse shape, with less tooling. I got lucky on this one. Now I get to sell that one, and try to get back some of the $600.

I'm jealous of that. A lathe about that size with a collet changer would do everything I need one for.
If you haven't ran an Atlas, I'd really recommend something else, even a small chinese gear head... Atlas lathes are pretty floppy, even by small lathe standards. Mind you I'm looking for a Lodge & Shipley right now....

Not so much for working with the metal side of knife making but will help processing handles, shelving, work benches, and wife’s projects. Not found at a yard sell but through a friend of a friend. All of these were bought for $1000 brand new still in the box.
0xWxXzi.jpg

qXKwcDQ.jpg

iH0EfVf.jpg

HNz87U1.jpg

HGMAbRP.jpg

uBAKkdd.jpg

And a radial arm saw I don’t know what to do with yet
02hSWAa.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
02hSWAa.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
02hSWAa.jpg

(Edit)had to get on the desktop. Phone didn't want to attach photos

Last edited:
If you haven't ran an Atlas, I'd really recommend something else, even a small chinese gear head... Atlas lathes are pretty floppy, even by small lathe standards. Mind you I'm looking for a Lodge & Shipley right now....

All I want at home is to spin out stand offs and pivot cups and custom nuts and the like. Any real turning I can do at work.

Back