Gary Graley sheaths: an appreciation

I’ve posted this in GBU but think it has a place here, too. Don’t panic -- I’m only posting it in these two places. And no, I’m not Dirty Dave
smile.gif

==========
Without being too harsh, I’ll say that Gary’s work is only *slightly* better than OUTSTANDING, and his service and communication is *just barely* PERFECT.
tongue.gif

A couple weeks ago, I ordered three leather sheaths from Gary: a belt pouch and pocket pouch for my recently-acquired Tom Mayo Gent’s folder (thanks for great deal, Farmer!), and a sleeve for a Grohmann kitchen cleaver. Conscientious guy that he is, Gary recommended another BF member, Tangus, for the pocket pouch, saying that Tangus may be able to make one much nicer than he could, and at a better price, too. I decided to stick with Gary because I trusted that he could do a good job, and also for convenience (since I was having the other work done).

The knives were returned to me, with all three sheaths, this past week. Gary’s work was on-schedule, and he constantly kept in-touch with me about my needs and wants. No pulling teeth here: you get the sense that Gary replies promptly and enthusiastically because he really enjoys the chance to do some fine work for you, and wants you to be in on every stage of its progress. Plus, he likes talking about knives.
smile.gif

I learned about Gary’s work here on the forums, where his work has received a chorus of praise. He has earned all of that, and deserves more: the sheaths he made for me show impeccable craftsmanship, thoughtful design, and a special creativity: his work is simply gorgeous and, honestly, even better than I’d expected. The cleaver sleeve and horizontal belt pouch are made of firm, tightly-contoured thick leather (3mm?), while the pocket pouch is made of supple deerskin. All three have precise, attractive, heavy-duty stitching.

The pocket pouch is the simplest, but elegant in its own way. It is a folded-over piece 6" long by 1-3/8" wide, sewn at the bottom and 3.5" up the side, in a deep, bright, almost orange-ish tan. It snugly holds the Mayo folder, yet has a big opening for easy insertion and removal. The generous length leaves about a 1.75" flap that can be folded over, to keep out lint and such.

The horizontal belt pouch is designed for rear hip carry, above the right rear pocket. Its rich, dark chocolate brown color matches the Ironwood scales on the Mayo Gent (good call, Gary!). Its white stitching subtly accents the sheath’s shape. The sturdy, molded, contoured leather holds the folder very snugly -- NO chance of having it slip out -- and leaves about an inch of the handle exposed for easy withdrawl and re-sheathing. "Classy" is too inadequate a description: folder carrying does not get more refined than this.

Last but certainly not least is the cleaver sleeve. Its design and construction is pretty simple: a folded-over piece of leather sewn along its "tip" and edge sides, with a hole near the top of the spine side that aligns with the hanging hole in the cleaver’s blade. It is stained a rich caramel brown that complements the cleaver’s Rosewood handle scales. But here’s the kicker: in response to Gary’s query about possible tooling, I vaguely requested a "simple flower-type design," as the cleaver and sheath are a gift for my aunt. I was expecting some tooled trimming to accent a corner or two, but Gary REALLY outdid himself! The top (tip end) has a fairly intricate weave pattern that he calls "dragon scales," while the "body" of the sheath is adorned with a beautifully-tooled orchid with stem and leaves, set amidst a black-dyed background! I cannot describe it any better than that, unfortunately; maybe Gary can post a pic, so you can see just how stunning it is!

What else? The guy even touched up the edge on my 420V folder! And to top it off, his packaging was itself far more thoughtful and careful than your average newspaper-and-box.

So I say, without exaggeration, that Gary went WAY above and beyond my requests to create one-of-a-kind pieces that perfectly and uniquely complement my knives. For anyone who appreciates the sturdy, dignified style of handcrafted leather, I give my highest recommendation for Gary Graley’s work. Leather gives a kind of warmth and character that you just don’t get with kydex or concealex, and Gary can bring those qualities out better than anyone I know. An all-round real gentleman.

Kydex, shmydex. Drop Gary a line, and go leather -- your best knives deserve it!

Glen

Glen, you are way too kind, I appreciate the post, the one on the Good Bad and Ugly gave me a start!

Here is a scan of the Cleaver sleeve that Glen requested, just sort of did some extra work on it for him, as it was going to be a gift for his `Fiesty Aunt' and wanted it to be special for her.

cleaversleeve.jpg

This does not constitute a fixed blade sheath, as I can hear those out there saying Hey, how come he made that and won't do my fixed blade knife sheath? well, this was a special request and wanted to help out and it really isn't a fixed blade knife....so
biggrin.gif

Thanks Glen,

G2

Is this cleaver going to be a 'carry' knife? Be scared... be very scared
wink.gif

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

I've got a real problem with Mr Graley, he won't do sheaths for fixed blades, just folders and clevers. My problem is I don't have a folder worthy of his work, and I want one of his sheaths real bad.
frown.gif

I do know this, when I do order my first custom folder it will have two things; stag scales and a G2 sheath.
smile.gif

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

Originally posted by Gary W. Graley:
This does not constitute a fixed blade sheath, as I can hear those out there saying Hey, how come he made that and won't do my fixed blade knife sheath? well, this was a special request and wanted to help out and it really isn't a fixed blade knife....so
biggrin.gif

How did you know that was exactly where I was going to go as soon as I finished reading the thread?!
tongue.gif
Nice work, Gary. As always. That's the reason that, if you ever decide to start doing fixed blade sheaths, I'm going to be at the head of the line. Or as near as I can be!

------------------
iktomi

[This message has been edited by rockspyder (edited 10-02-2000).]

Originally posted by redvenom:
Is this cleaver going to be a 'carry' knife? Be scared... be very scared
wink.gif

Yep, there it is! My auntie's neck knife
biggrin.gif

... As for the "no fixed blades" issue: you guys just need to be a little more creative in your perspective. "Gary, could you make a sleeve my my auntie's Busse Battle ... Cleaver?"

gmm

[This message has been edited by storyville (edited 10-02-2000).]

Originally posted by storyville:
... As for the "no fixed blades" issue: you guys just need to be a little more creative in your perspective. "Gary, could you make a sleeve my my auntie's Busse Battle ... Cleaver?"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
iktomi

Back