Gas forge

I almost start to build my first gas forge ,plan was to use old gas tank ....actually to copy the way you in USA build gas forge .Then I found this ............. Round or square chamber ? Is there any difference ? I can build one like this one on the video this afternoon .What do you guys thin about this ?
Hassan make me rethink about my first forge build :D This is so clean build , easy and fast to make .I have everything needed ?

Or this way ?

Last edited:
So the reason so many of us over here make round forges is because the swirling fire around the chamber make the heat more even.

Thus making it easier to do heat treat.

One advantage to a square forge is that it does have a hot spot. If you are doing blacksmith work, not just knife making this is kinda handy.

What size tank are you planning on using Natlek?

So the reason so many of us over here make round forges is because the swirling fire around the chamber make the heat more even.

Thus making it easier to do heat treat.

One advantage to a square forge is that it does have a hot spot. If you are doing blacksmith work, not just knife making this is kinda handy.

Thanks :thumbsup: Make sense.........square one for welding billet for damascus and san-mai ? Swirling one for forging knife from that ....That mean I need two forge ? I think that I have enough ceramic blanket to make them both :) I really like how simple was build that one from Hassan, I will make that one first .
And a few hours earlier I thought that I can go cheap and easy .............:D

What size tank are you planning on using Natlek?
Same like this one on picture , that is what I have .It is 30cm/12 inch Dia. and same height ? I think that is enough ?
nWCTEh3.jpg

That sounds pretty close to our 20 lb propane tank (if I recall correctly, holds around 7 gal of propane). With a tank that size and a blown burner you will only need one burner to get it to welding temps. A different style burner may need a second burner. My build ended up with a 6.25"x10" chamber, I have one blown burner and I will need a larger rear door to get the temp lower than 1440f. Easilly goes to welding temps very fast. Rear door is currently just a 1/2"x3" slit.

Well Dan , I'm glad you asked that .............I think that I don t need to mess with that gas tank ???? I can get 304L stainless tube like this one for 10$ ???? it is same dia. as gas tank /this one is for my second tube furnace with bigger Dia. ceramic tube / it will be less work than with the gas tank ?
yKjcrTh.jpg

P2L084J.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds pretty close to our 20 lb propane tank (if I recall correctly, holds around 7 gal of propane). With a tank that size and a blown burner you will only need one burner to get it to welding temps. A different style burner may need a second burner. My build ended up with a 6.25"x10" chamber, I have one blown burner and I will need a larger rear door to get the temp lower than 1440f. Easilly goes to welding temps very fast. Rear door is currently just a 1/2"x3" slit.
Thanks , good to know it :thumbsup: Yes , they are almost the same ,this one hold 9,9 kg gas .

Last edited:
Hey Natlek,

I have two forges, one for general forging work and one for Damascus/San mai. My welding forge is a vertical forge, and my general use forge is horizontal.

Vertical forges stay at temp better, while horizontal ones are easier to work with. I’ll send a pic in a few.

OK ......... Finally i make something which look like forge :)
Bricks are rated to 1400 Celsius , I cut them in half lengthwise, rest is 2x5cm rock wool and all that in toaster oven :D For burner i used 25mm straight stainless tube , flare is shaped in bricks , i used /for now/ weed blow torch on which I change original nozzle with one from moped carburetor , 0.54mm .They come in many numbers ....The one from weed burner is just simple straight hole , this one from carburetor have some geometry at the exit for better gas spraying. Chamber is 7 x 15 x 13 inch .I make some test tonight and i like it so far ..........it is very quiet. With the valve barely open it works great, if I turn up the gas I think it will open a hole in the brick. This is my first contact with this kind of oven so there should be learning curve in next several days.Of course it is not yet finished ......I make two plate for protection of bricks on bottom from borax ? , one with ceramic wool and one with 6-7 layer of carbon cloth .........both work great , but i think i like this hot plate from kitchen stove more ............Top is cool after about one hour work ,sides hot , will burn hand .I forge some ball bearing .........
iZY0RgJ.jpg

eMO2qUZ.jpg

R2sa82h.jpg

TYguVkb.jpg

tL269qH.jpg

msDJyvb.jpg

HPYtX65.jpg

AHNLvPD.jpg

Last edited:
Block up the front so it has a smaller opening, and you will get a more evenly heated, hotter chamber. I refer you to NCTool forges which have much smaller burners than most other brands, yet get hotter and have better chamber evenness.

Back