Gasoline killing G-2?

I was in my garage working with my crappy old snowmobile and had to cut some fuel hose.
I used my BM Panther and wiped it off directly after the dirty work. When cleaning it with some soapy water afterwards, I noticed some dark stains on the blade.
Now this makes me curious as I have used it for the most various chores and often left it dirty and wet and never ever found the slightest discoloration. Could it be that the gasoline was the reason for the corrosion?

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

Gasoline is not corrosive. It is, however, a solvent. Dissolve the colored substance of your choice in gasoline, paint it on your blade, let the solvent evaporate ... you have just discovered paint.

Probably the easiest way to get it off is with more gasoline -- but use clean gas this time.
smile.gif

-Cougar Allen :{)

Yes, that should be the logical solution. But, I tried that and the spots still remain...
And I know I am not running my noble vehicle on rocket fuel or any other alien fluids
smile.gif

But thanks anyway.

Be careful rubbing with gasoline, as it is not a good idea, especially if you are vigorous. I recall hearing about someone who was using gasoline to clean something (bugs or tar off a car???? oil off a lawnmower???) and rubbed hard enough that the gasoline caught on fire. OUCH!

You could always try Acetone. That takes care of everything I've run into so far. But it might be a good idea to keep it away from the handle.

Sincerely,
Adam

Or paint remover -- Zip-Strip will take off just about anything, even epoxy. Not casein paint, though. Maybe there was some water mixed in that gas ... maybe you ended up with something like those water-base paints that aren't soluble in anything once they're dry. Then only abrasion will work, fine steel wool or nylon wool.

-Cougar Allen :{)

I have examined the stains thoroughly and it is seems to be rust rather than "paint". Not that I am a metallurgist or something but I think I recognize this as case of corrosion.
Next time I am about to cut fuel hose I'll use the same knife and see what happens.

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

Back