GAW/Swap: 12th Round of mrknife's Wild Ride of Unending Flat Rate Box Tetris

Happy Labor Day, Traditionalists!
The first round of this wild ride ended just over a year ago, with the first winner being announced last August. It has been an awesome experience following this box, and watching what each winner has selected. IIRC, there has been almost complete content turnover from the original GAW, which, I think, really speaks to the uniqueness of this sub forum! Anyways, on to to GAW:

HERE ARE THE RULES FROM MRKNIFE'S ORIGINAL GIVEAWAY THREAD

Doing another GAW but this one is a little different. I'd sort of like this to be more of a pass around/pay it forward.

Im going to put all of these in a box and ship to one winner. They may not like all the knives in there or they may. If they do, the giveaway ends there I suppose. But if they don't, I hope they swap the knife they want for a knife or knives they have in their collection that they'd like to pass on to some one else who may find it more enjoyable via a similar giveaway. It'll be on an honor system and I have faith in all of you It's a variety pack of knives in different costs, so I'm sure everyone will get something they enjoy and want to give a new home.

In order to be considered, please fulfill any of these conditions:
1. be a known member of the Porch (at least a decent amount of meaningful contribution via content or conversation)
2. have donated to the St.Judes Charities/or Bob (hang in there buddy, hope you are doing ok!)
3. have done any sort of giveaway
To enter:
A simple im in will do, or you can post a picture of some knives :) we all like that

This will end in August. Package will likely go out the first week before the Rendezvous. Name will be selected from a hat as usual. :thumbup: USA only please, 48 continental to save on shipping for me :D, no purchase necessary, void where prohibited. Ages 18 and older.

HERE ARE SOME AMENDMENTS ADDED IN ROUND 10 BY WURRWOLF
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ifes-epic-never-ending-gaw-swap-meet.1509163/
I'm going to amend in here that entrants need to be active on The Porch. We've had some instances in which entrants who were chosen were no longer around. We're all hobbyists around here, and as such, we understand that life gets in the way sometimes. I'm not going to remove anyone from the list, but until they are available to participate on the porch regularly, they will not be eligible for the box.

Just say "I'm in" to be added to the list.

*If you want to tell us all which knives you're pining for and what you'd toss in the box as a replacement then have at it. It's a good way to keep the thread going and garner more interest.*

The current list of entrants is:

1. BenHarris
2. @RobertJ1 (Inactive)
3. @Faiaoga (Inactive)
4. kysteve (Previous Winner)
5. @combatjiujitsu (Inactive)
7. Nature Boy (Previous Winner)
8. @GASOUTHERNBOY(Inactive)
9. neal70
10. @FelineGirl (Inactive)
11. Wurrwulf (Previous winner)
12. r redden
13. r8shell (PREVIOUS WINNER)
14. @BladeCommander (Inactive)
15. @Lesbaer1911 (Inactive)
17. Tilley Knife
18. davek14
19. Ernie1980
20. @TheWook (Inactive)
21. @Tyler.Bachman (Inactive)
22. Henry Beige
23. x
25. xxxxxxx
26. @netguy1999 (Inactive)
27. Gotsteel
28. @Jayday2727 (Inactive)
29. @TheDandyLion (Inactive)
30. JupiterPaladin
31. @TheChunk91 (Inactive)
32. AlwaysTomBoy
33. Fog2
34. x
35. Pàdruig
36. Jprime84
37. Glocktenman

As for my responsibilities in this swap-meet, here is how the box arrived from r8shell r8shell
IMG_5447.JPG

I decided to keep: the Rough Rider Peanut, for its ornate beauty; the Uncle Henry 886 and the Kamp King, because I've wanted to experience both of these for some time; and the Hartkopf lockback, because I'm a sucker for small lockbacks, and ebony(?).

It seems like most have added more than they have taken, in terms of number of knives, and I am no different. I hope I have added an equal, or greater, amount of value and/or interest. Here is what will be additionally crammed into the box:
IMG_5564.JPG
All of these were inspired by some of my favorite threads to follow, if not always participate in. A NIClamshell 12OT, A GEC slip, a Case bottle/knife opener, two Camillus TL-29s, a Robeson equal end pen knife, a Case burnt stag pen knife, a Taylor 8OT, a Rough Rider trapper, and a Rough Rider DIY stockman kit.

Now, as for r8shell r8shell 's "practice" scrimshawed synthetic knife.
IMG_5560.JPG IMG_5561.JPG
This was probably my favorite knife in the box, and it was a difficult decision not to keep it in my possession forever. But, I figured that there were probably many more porch members who would appreciate this little piece of artwork, dedicated to our favorite place on the internet!

So I am going to carry this one for a bit, and maybe take some pictures with it on my porch, and then box it up with the rest of the loot for the next winner to decide to either do the same, pass it on, or keep it as part of the giveaway.

So all that's left for me to do is to box this all up, and send it off to the next winner. I will try to think up some clever, random way to choose the next winner in two weeks. That should give me enough time to figure out how to get all of this in one flat rate box...

Attachments

• IMG_5554.JPG
    IMG_5554.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 12
Holy smokes! That's a lot of shwag going back into the box! I have no clue how you're going to fit that in there! Hahaha!

Congrats on the great selection from the box, and thank you so much for carrying this forward!

Come on, folks, step right up for a chance to have your hand smashed when USPS drops that box of steel on you.

Superb kick-off to Round 12, Mike! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Congrats on the "prizes" you gleaned from the box! :cool::cool:
I was astounded by all the additions you made to the box!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D Shoot, a couple of TL-29s are impressive by themselves, but you tossed in such a desirable variety of stuff, from DIY kits to pocket slips, from classic Old Timers to funky Rough Riders, from stag pens to synthetic trappers!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And I loved your decisions about Rachel's scrimshawed knife! :thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Happy Labor Day, Traditionalists!
The first round of this wild ride ended just over a year ago, with the first winner being announced last August. It has been an awesome experience following this box, and watching what each winner has selected. IIRC, there has been almost complete content turnover from the original GAW, which, I think, really speaks to the uniqueness of this sub forum! Anyways, on to to GAW:

HERE ARE THE RULES FROM MRKNIFE'S ORIGINAL GIVEAWAY THREAD

Doing another GAW but this one is a little different. I'd sort of like this to be more of a pass around/pay it forward.

Im going to put all of these in a box and ship to one winner. They may not like all the knives in there or they may. If they do, the giveaway ends there I suppose. But if they don't, I hope they swap the knife they want for a knife or knives they have in their collection that they'd like to pass on to some one else who may find it more enjoyable via a similar giveaway. It'll be on an honor system and I have faith in all of you It's a variety pack of knives in different costs, so I'm sure everyone will get something they enjoy and want to give a new home.

In order to be considered, please fulfill any of these conditions:
1. be a known member of the Porch (at least a decent amount of meaningful contribution via content or conversation)
2. have donated to the St.Judes Charities/or Bob (hang in there buddy, hope you are doing ok!)
3. have done any sort of giveaway
To enter:
A simple im in will do, or you can post a picture of some knives :) we all like that

This will end in August. Package will likely go out the first week before the Rendezvous. Name will be selected from a hat as usual. :thumbup: USA only please, 48 continental to save on shipping for me :D, no purchase necessary, void where prohibited. Ages 18 and older.

HERE ARE SOME AMENDMENTS ADDED IN ROUND 10 BY WURRWOLF
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ifes-epic-never-ending-gaw-swap-meet.1509163/
I'm going to amend in here that entrants need to be active on The Porch. We've had some instances in which entrants who were chosen were no longer around. We're all hobbyists around here, and as such, we understand that life gets in the way sometimes. I'm not going to remove anyone from the list, but until they are available to participate on the porch regularly, they will not be eligible for the box.

Just say "I'm in" to be added to the list.

*If you want to tell us all which knives you're pining for and what you'd toss in the box as a replacement then have at it. It's a good way to keep the thread going and garner more interest.*

The current list of entrants is:

1. BenHarris
2. @RobertJ1 (Inactive)
3. @Faiaoga (Inactive)
4. kysteve (Previous Winner)
5. @combatjiujitsu (Inactive)
7. Nature Boy (Previous Winner)
8. @GASOUTHERNBOY(Inactive)
9. neal70
10. @FelineGirl (Inactive)
11. Wurrwulf (Previous winner)
12. r redden
13. r8shell (PREVIOUS WINNER)
14. @BladeCommander (Inactive)
15. @Lesbaer1911 (Inactive)
17. Tilley Knife
18. davek14
19. Ernie1980
20. @TheWook (Inactive)
21. @Tyler.Bachman (Inactive)
22. Henry Beige
23. x
25. xxxxxxx
26. @netguy1999 (Inactive)
27. Gotsteel
28. @Jayday2727 (Inactive)
29. @TheDandyLion (Inactive)
30. JupiterPaladin
31. @TheChunk91 (Inactive)
32. AlwaysTomBoy
33. Fog2
34. x
35. Pàdruig
36. Jprime84
37. Glocktenman

As for my responsibilities in this swap-meet, here is how the box arrived from r8shell r8shell
View attachment 760189

I decided to keep: the Rough Rider Peanut, for its ornate beauty; the Uncle Henry 886 and the Kamp King, because I've wanted to experience both of these for some time; and the Hartkopf lockback, because I'm a sucker for small lockbacks, and ebony(?).

It seems like most have added more than they have taken, in terms of number of knives, and I am no different. I hope I have added an equal, or greater, amount of value and/or interest. Here is what will be additionally crammed into the box:
View attachment 760193
All of these were inspired by some of my favorite threads to follow, if not always participate in. A NIClamshell 12OT, A GEC slip, a Case bottle/knife opener, two Camillus TL-29s, a Robeson equal end pen knife, a Case burnt stag pen knife, a Taylor 8OT, a Rough Rider trapper, and a Rough Rider DIY stockman kit.

Now, as for r8shell r8shell 's "practice" scrimshawed synthetic knife.
View attachment 760191 View attachment 760192
This was probably my favorite knife in the box, and it was a difficult decision not to keep it in my possession forever. But, I figured that there were probably many more porch members who would appreciate this little piece of artwork, dedicated to our favorite place on the internet!

So I am going to carry this one for a bit, and maybe take some pictures with it on my porch, and then box it up with the rest of the loot for the next winner to decide to either do the same, pass it on, or keep it as part of the giveaway.

So all that's left for me to do is to box this all up, and send it off to the next winner. I will try to think up some clever, random way to choose the next winner in two weeks. That should give me enough time to figure out how to get all of this in one flat rate box...
Looks like the fancy peanut and Kamp King finally found a home!
I really like watching this move around and change depending on what each person likes, keeps and gives.

Since it does change up a bit, do we get to hop on again at some point if we want?

That is a wide array of different types of knives in one box! I would have trouble choosing one- or two- if my turn came up!

Since it does change up a bit, do we get to hop on again at some point if we want?
I'm not sure there's a rule that previous winners are ineligible. Should we add a provision to the rules? Perhaps:
- previous winners are automatically reentered each round, unless they specifically remove themselves? (Makes sense because the box is ever changing)
OR
- after each person on the list has won, all participants are reentered? (Unless more people join, at some point there will need to be repeat winners, or the never ending GAW will end)

I'm not sure there's a rule that previous winners are ineligible. Should we add a provision to the rules? Perhaps:
- previous winners are automatically reentered each round, unless they specifically remove themselves? (Makes sense because the box is ever changing)
OR
- after each person on the list has won, all participants are reentered? (Unless more people join, at some point there will need to be repeat winners, or the never ending GAW will end)
By my count this morning, there are 14 qualified entrants. I hope more people enter but if not, by round 26 we'll have to re-enter previous winners. :p

Congrats, Ernie! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Looking forward to learning what you take out and what you put in! :D

Thanks for running an impeccable Round 12, Mike!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Congrats, Ernie! I know you're going to contribute some fantastic cutlery for the next lucky person to look over! I'm excited to see what you pick and add!

Thank you, Nature Boy Nature Boy , for doing a very fine job of keeping this train on it's tracks!

Good luck to everybody next round!

Back