1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Gayle Bradley 2 or Super Freek?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by somniloquist, Nov 12, 2020.

Ok, which one do you like best?

1. Super Freek

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Gayle Bradley 2

52 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. tgtodd

tgtodd

Dec 19, 2015
    I bet the black friday discount on this model being its a 2021 discontinue would be good.

2. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Two different animals.

The GB2 is a race car knife. It is going to be uncomfortable at the expense of performance and beauty. Think Lotus.

The BM is the Chevelle with a tuned big block.

bikerector likes this.
  3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Please read the post I made about 3 posts later. I was mixing up what I remembered about their sub par 3V blades.

marrenmiller and DMG like this.
  4. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    They are discontinuing the super freek? I had heard they were going to discontinue the base model using the rubberized handle material and S30v but heard nothing about them cutting the Super Freek. If true that would be a massive mistake on their part. It's a stellar blade and deserves the full custom work up on their site.

5. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    It's the standard model being discontinued. At least the mini. I'll have to look at the list but the Super Freek is WAY too popular to be let go.

As for cutting geometry, yes the Freek is a little thicker behind the edge, but it is by no means very thick at all. The GB2 is thin because of its hollow grind. I haven't had any trouble cutting anything with the Freek, or the Bradley. Then again I have no trouble out of my Shaman either and it's thicker than both.

DMG likes this.
  6. soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    The serrated version is discontinued. The plain edge 560BK-1 (Super Freek) is not.

7. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I put my money where my mouth is and picked up a GB2. Holy crap am I shocked by how nice this knife is. Now I kinda want a GB1 too.

7953FA32-3ACB-4B6C-8AC2-42A5CBA2B973.jpeg

8. XL883N

XL883N

Apr 12, 2020
    GB2 with Sharp Dressed Knives natural canvas micarta looks killer. I had a Super Freek. Good knife but I'm not a fond of g10 anymore.

9. somniloquist

somniloquist Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Now you are tempting me...I have to stop buying knives!

10. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Good comparison.
    But to be clear, the GB2 is very comfortable in hand.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  11. soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    This is true. Both knives have great ergos, the GB2 feels more hand filling than it is (reason for the proud liners) while the Super Freek gives you a bunch of meat to hold on to. Feels fat, but I prefer that to a too thin handle.

12. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Just one more :)
    [​IMG]

fonedork and somniloquist like this.
  13. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    G-10 can bore me now as well given how many examples I have wearing G-10 at this point but the scales on the super freek really are exceptional. Both the look and the feel is better than 90% of what you will find even aftermarket. I haven't even looked at getting aftermarket scales for it because they just fit so well.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. Skar

Skar

Mar 24, 2020
    I don't have either.

But... unless there is a exclusive that catches my eye.
    My next buy will be the GB2.

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

15. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I just picked up a GB2 and am really impressed with it. I would pick it over the Superfreak but maybe not the Contego. Since we are talking large knives in M4.

16. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005

The lock stick on my GBis really annoying. I may change my vote back to the Freek.

I touched up the GB and my M4 Contego the other day on my sharpmaker. Judging by the feel and how the ceramic bit in to the steel, the Contego feels harder but the GB didn’t feel soft.

17. soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Seems like this is common on the GBs. Mine had terrible lock stick. It went away relatively quickly. Just give it a little time.

GB940Rookie and DMG like this.
  18. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017