Recommendation? GEC #15 Navy Knife off center

Hey guys!

I purchased a GEC Navy Knife from KnivesShipFree. Its very off center. Not quite touching the liner but close. Is this something I should deal with? Or should I contact KnivesShipFree or GEC? Is this something KSF would do an exchange for?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If it's not touching the liner it's not really a big deal imho. The blades aren't put together like modern knives. The tangs are annealed and after assembly GEC literally bends them to be close to center. If it's important to you then you could send the knife to GEC. They should be able to center it within a few seconds. Don't know the turnaround time.

Pile side.

The Navy knife is a single blade and most of the blade sticks out from the handle so I'd be more likely to just pinch it open instead of using the nail nick. But if you use the nail nick, pressure from pressing on the blade can force it toward the liner. And since it is already close the liner opposite of the nail nick, it would be more likely to make contact from pressing. If you don't just pinch it open, pull straight up. It's the pressing instead of pulling that forces the blade toward the liner. Not sure if that's what Charlie had in mind or if there is another reason he asked.

GEC shoots for close to center but I don't think they are hung up on hitting dead center. Since they are just bending the blade to center, it does not have the same significance as it does on modern knives. Very different manufacturing and construction. In this video tour of the GEC factory, skip to 14:35 and you'll see how the blades are centered.

Last edited:
Supratentorial, thanks for picking up the ball and running with it!!
That was my thought.
"Bending" the blade is called "crinking", and it is a common production adjustment. Many of the knives get a "crink" as they go through production.

Back