GEC #35 Churchill Thread

My Churchill finaly arrived in mail few days ago. To be perfectly honest, I am rather uńderwhelmed by the knife. This might be a combinantion of factors and circumstances. Probably I got too much into the hype and that might exagerated my expectations. Secondly, it took a few months from the purchase until I received the knife, which means my excitement somewhat deflated and I started looking at other knives. Then there are some minor issues with the knife, like blade rub, secondary blade sitting too high, it did not come with waxed paper and it has a tiny ding in the bolster. What is more bothering is the walk and talk, which is horrendous on the main blade. Gritty and very lazy on closing. I can make the blade stay at any position :-/ It will break in probably.
resource.ashx

My Churchill finaly arrived in mail few days ago. To be perfectly honest, I am rather uńderwhelmed by the knife. This might be a combinantion of factors and circumstances. Probably I got too much into the hype and that might exagerated my expectations. Secondly, it took a few months from the purchase until I received the knife, which means my excitement somewhat deflated and I started looking at other knives. Then there are some minor issues with the knife, like blade rub, secondary blade sitting too high, it did not come with waxed paper and it has a tiny ding in the bolster. What is more bothering is the walk and talk, which is horrendous on the main blade. Gritty and very lazy on closing. I can make the blade stay at any position :-/ It will break in probably.
resource.ashx

Hi - I am sorry you seem dissatisfied with your purchase.
Life can be disappointing at times. I run a hospital for unwanted knives. If you would send it to me I will give it new life and the love it needs. I will give you a yearly report on its progress. - Joseph

resource.ashx
Sorry to hear of your dismay with your knife. Every company will experience issues with quality control but it sounds like you purchased second hand? regardless I assume all but aesthetics (bolster ding) can be overcome. Clean and oil should correct grit and laziness. The sheep sitting high can be lowered with sacrificing flush when closed issues. My Chrurchill is a favorite of mine and hope it grows on you with time:thumbsup:

I was initially underwhelmed with mine too. But after realising what makes it good, it has grown on me and I am now a fan. The key to the success of the pattern, IMO, is a slim, streamlined and easy to carry shape, but it packs a high level of functionality with a good sized clip blade and sheepsfoot. I think the lighter weights of the wood and acrylic assist to forget it is in the pocket.

If the walk and talk doesn’t improve GEC will likely repair it if you send it back.

Thank you all.
Purchased from a dealer, but I had a middleman. Not sure if he got rid of the waxed paper unintentionaly. The ding seems to have been done before assembly, just at the transition between bolster and micarta.
There are more posts in the thread suggesting that the knife needs some cleaning/oiling/breaking in, before action gets better. I will give it some work out and see if it will grow on mw in the meantime.
If not I will find it a new home over here in Europe. GEC knives are not very common here, so it would be silly to send it back overseas.

Thank you all.
Purchased from a dealer, but I had a middleman. Not sure if he got rid of the waxed paper unintentionaly. The ding seems to have been done before assembly, just at the transition between bolster and micarta.
There are more posts in the thread suggesting that the knife needs some cleaning/oiling/breaking in, before action gets better. I will give it some work out and see if it will grow on mw in the meantime.
If not I will find it a new home over here in Europe. GEC knives are not very common here, so it would be silly to send it back overseas.

Which covers did you get? I would wash it relentlessly, joints, blade well, back springs, tangs, everything, with hot soapy water. Then dry and oil. Probably some polishing compound will seep out of the joint and spring. The blade rub is inevitable on that single spring pattern, as with a lot of the GEC single spring knives and even stockmans. If you use it you'll hardly notice after the blades start to patina and scratch. I hope it finds a place in your heart after all of this!

I got a maroon micarta. (I tried to post a picture, but it comes and goes.)
I didn´t mean to make it sound like a tragedy. I just had a slight "meh" feeling, when I opened the tube. As Camillus writes, there is still a lot to like. For me it´s the absence of half-stops (I managed to cut myself at least twice thanks to combination of this "safety-feature" and very strong backspring), usefull combination of blades and insane thinness of the secondary blade. I sure will give it a chance.

I got a maroon micarta. (I tried to post a picture, but it comes and goes.)
I didn´t mean to make it sound like a tragedy. I just had a slight "meh" feeling, when I opened the tube. As Camillus writes, there is still a lot to like. For me it´s the absence of half-stops (I managed to cut myself at least twice thanks to combination of this "safety-feature" and very strong backspring), usefull combination of blades and insane thinness of the secondary blade. I sure will give it a chance.
May it grow on you -- in a good way! It quickly became my favorite carry.

Back