1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

GEC #72 with wharncliffe blade?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Kalsu, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Kalsu

Kalsu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I was just online looking at some Case mini trappers with the wharncliffe style blade. I have always liked that blade design. It seems really simple to sharpen and keep that way. I always thought that it would be a great work knife. So while I was looking at the Case knives I started to wonder if GEC made anything like that. So I searched and found pictures of the #72 with a wharncliffe blade and ebony handle! What a sweet looking knife. Perfect size and a wharncliffe blade. Now I have to find one for sale. Were these a limited run? Anybody with pictures they would like to share?

2. tomsch

tomsch Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I've been looking with no luck either. Seems like it was a very limited run.

3. Sonnemann

Sonnemann

Sep 21, 2010
    They crop up in the Exchange once in a while (I sold one about a month ago.) They are quite nice.

[​IMG]

4. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    That is a great looking knife. I think your sale post is the one I saw that grabbed my attention. I am having a heck of a time finding one. They are great looking, functional knives.

5. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Double tap

6. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    So if these prove impossible to find what is another brand that has a knife of comparable size with a Wharncliffe blade?

Edit: How about Bear & Sons India stag bone Wharncliffe lock back? How's their quality? I have heard of them but don't have any experience with their products.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  7. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    Knowing how GEC tends to operate, I'm hoping they do another run of 72's with a wharncliffe...I knew I shoulda bought that red handled one when I had the chance.

Fingers crossed!

8. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Fingers crossed is right. Here's to hopeing....

9. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    GEC vs. Bear and Sons?
    Not an apple to apple comparison.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/997008-Bear-and-Sons-Whittler

10. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    Don't know about that one. But the AG Russell regular curved jack is about the same size. Not a lockback though.

11. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Yeah I knew they weren't equal in terms of quality. I just ran across the Bear & Sons and thought I would ask about them so CE I don't have any experience with them. Thanks for the link though.
    I will admit I didn't search the forums before asking.

12. street soldier

street soldier Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2003
  13. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    I have one of those on order. That's going to be one heck of a knife. I can hardly wait.
    In the mean time I found one of these Case mini trapper ranchers with single wharncliffe blade. Pretty nice looking knife with burnt stag handles. I am still looking for the GEC but I think the Case will be a pretty nice addition to my growing collection.

14. roseskunk

roseskunk

Nov 2, 2008
    I've got Sonnemann's, and even though I own more and a dozen GEC's, it's one of my favorites. [​IMG][/IMG]

15. roseskunk

roseskunk

Nov 2, 2008
    Sure like to see a wharnie in the Trader or Trapper size, though honestly I only use the tip on these blades most of the time. [​IMG][/IMG]

16. roseskunk

roseskunk

Nov 2, 2008
    ...like to have more homegrown radishes too...[​IMG][/IMG]

17. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    What a beauty Roseskunk! Cool Pics too!

18. Sonnemann

Sonnemann

Sep 21, 2010
    Yes, those pictures are a great study in contrast and arrangement. Glad you're enjoying it.

19. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    Ah, you guys are killing me, darn it darn it darn it :D

As for B&S, I have a couple. A single blade OHO liner lock, OK but the handles are ugly as sin. A budget line medium/small stockman with stag jigged Delrin scales that was $20 which I quite like, and one of their Remington BSA Scout knife repros, another OK. It's disappointing that Bear's FnF isn't higher, but I can't answer for their more expensive models.

Like Frank said, I'm comparing apples to oranges with my Case and GEC's. I really do like the stockman but I hand picked it too.

20. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Roseskunk those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. That is exactly what i am looking for. It is proving to be quite the task.

I think that I am going to hold off on the B&S knives. I found a GEC #53 with the smooth black buffalo horn scales. Might hold me over until I can find the #72 I am looking for.