GEC and Voos

I just picked up a Voos barehead jack and its essentially the same size as the GEC Barlow/Boys knife. Now if we can get GEC to reproduce some of the bone jigging from the past....
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I love the jigging on the Voos jacks, feels great in hand and the colour is about perfect.

Best regards

Robin
8016625040_2fbb7527e7.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Deja vu! I just commented on that pic of Dave's in the 'What Traditional are you carrying' thread! Thought I'd opened the same thread at first! :D Great-looking bone on that Voos, two beautiful knives there :thumbup:

Thanks! I get lucky sometimes...Now Charlie has some beautiful old bareheads! I wish he were my dad...lol!:D

Yes it is nice bone, fantastic. But, remember, it's old and genuinely pocket-worn it wouldn't have looked like this new.....Does GEC have an ageing process?:D

They did experiment with ready patina awhile back, I think.

Yes it is nice bone, fantastic. But, remember, it's old and genuinely pocket-worn it wouldn't have looked like this new.....Does GEC have an ageing process?:D

They did experiment with ready patina awhile back, I think.

I love playing with finish and surface on most of the things I make. REAL looking patina is very hard to come up with but with the right amount of playing you can sometimes get close. Fiebings dye, linseed oil, waxes, super fine sandpaper, lots of layering of colour all used together does a decent job.

Best regards

Robin

Of course you can always boil it in vinegar!!:eek:

NOT!:D

Real nice Voos, Dave! You can approximate, but never duplicate that nice aged look, IMO!!

Of course you can always boil it in vinegar!!:eek:

NOT!:D

Real nice Voos, Dave! You can approximate, but never duplicate that nice aged look, IMO!!

Well...mine are subjected the methane on a regular basis! :D

What are the odds ( I guess on THIS forum not too astronomical), I just picked up my GEC boy's knife and the first thing that struck me was how similar it is to my Voos. I LOVE these guys, they are quite the pair. You don't see a lot of Voos' around, I got lucky with mine, perfect walk and talk and the blades are almost 100.

DSCN8687_zps8b47405c.jpg

DSCN8688_zpscdcf5dae.jpg

DSCN8689_zpsfb3ae1e0.jpg

DSCN8690_zps2fc72dd4.jpg

DSCN8691_zps4a637c69.jpg

I love that old time jigging on your Voos! I just missed an auction for an old craftsman (camillus) with jigging like that.

I agree that it would be great if GEC could duplicate this kind of old jigging. Some of the old vintage samples that I see look much more organic (regardless of being pocket worn) than anything that I have seen from GEC.

The following Ulster was my grandfather's, and it has that old time pocket worn jigging...

8329849509_a4a70859ed_c.jpg

I'm going to have to look into finding a Voos Jack! I really like that old style jigging :thumbup::thumbup:

I was lucky to snag another VOOS which is on the way. I agree the jigging looks very organic. I suspect totally hand done pattern whereas a lot of the manufacturers today probably use a jig that does the whole pattern.

I've got one of those Voos jacks, with quite a bit more life on it. Had a pin missing, Bob Picklesimer took care of that and cleaned it up (don't scowl, I bought it for dirt cheap and already have put my own patina on it :D).

He also took my old Remington barlow down from a one and a 1/8 blade (just a nubbin on the pen blade). I've been carrying the Tom Sawyer two blade barlow with the 2012 forum knife. Redundant, yeah, but I think I might leave the forum knife at home in favor of trying the Voos jack with the barlow.

I've got one of those Voos jacks, with quite a bit more life on it. Had a pin missing, Bob Picklesimer took care of that and cleaned it up (don't scowl, I bought it for dirt cheap and already have put my own patina on it :D).

He also took my old Remington barlow down from a one and a 1/8 blade (just a nubbin on the pen blade). I've been carrying the Tom Sawyer two blade barlow with the 2012 forum knife. Redundant, yeah, but I think I might leave the forum knife at home in favor of trying the Voos jack with the barlow.

Man but that 2012 forum knife is a great carry! I keep mine handy even when cooking and I have good Shun cooking knives! Lol!~

I have it with me today, out in the truck. Alas, nothing larger than my trusty peanut in my pocket, today.

When I found my Voos, I knew I had struck gold. The pittance I paid for it, just because of a missing pin and some patina, made it even better. One of my favorite finds.

Back