GEC Annual RendeZvous

Arrrgh, now I'm really kicking myself for not getting there. I couldn't convince Mrs. Z and Z Jr. to travel to Titusville as an interim stop between Pittsburgh and home as it would have entailed another hotel room, we couldn't have arrived on time Friday.

I've already put in for the days for next year's Rendezvous with both my family and my employer, I ain't gonna miss it again! Plus it gives another excuse for a slow wandering drive from home west via Rte. 6, always a treat in the PA summer :thumbup:

Cheers,
Griff

What a wonderful collection of pictures and memories!
Post more if you have them, please!!

The experience was just great; warm, fuzzy and family friendly, along with seriously informative. Knowledgeable staffers, and visitors alike contributed to the many lively discussions on all topics of this knifery we practice.

And putting faces and personalities to the forum identities was very positive! You are all much better in person!

My wife and I were there on Saturday and it was a great time! It was nice to meet Charlie, mr_badexample, Bob Andrews, and others. And it is always a pleasure to talk with Bill Howard, Chris Tucker, etc.

Charlie bestowed some barlow-knowledge and I picked up a walnut single-blade sheepsfoot. After I bought it, I also heard the story of the origin of the walnut handle covers and was even more pleased to own it. I sharpened it to my preference when we got home last night and am carrying it now. Awesome! I am sure I will enjoy owning and using this one. Charlie did a nice job on the tube-story for this one! Definitely an enjoyable read.

Well ever since I was telling the folks where I work at, they've been ribbing me with this quote from the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" where the two guys were getting a lift to a train, by a fellow named Owen and his small but tuff wife. They changed the towns just for me when they quoted

"Train don't run outta Wichita, lessen your hog or cattle...People train runs outta Titusville..."

You'll see that near the end of this clip...
[video=youtube;dbgOACJpZg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgOACJpZg0[/video]

they do a decent impression of Owen, everytime ;)

But then, I show them the knives I picked up from Titusville and they just look on in awe, as they should ;)
G2

So I take it you had a good time Sarah?

:D

Why yes, you could say that. Does it show?
balloon.gif~original

I'm still full-up from my time in Titusville. As last year, I once again enjoyed GEC's zero-pretense, welcoming "Here we are, here's what we do, here's how" hospitality (a wealth of resource and good company that cannot be overstated), but this time was all the more meaningful because of connections I've made here. How good it was to meet face-to-face and share our love of knives.

As just one (more) example, consider this opportunity:

Gary had this very box o' goodness along with him. As great as Gary's photographs are, it was education and revelation to handle the knives themselves, this particular selection which has made his cut (pun intended, if not necessary ;)).

I know I'm repeating myself, to a well-versed crowd no less, but there really is nothing like seeing knives in person and evaluating/understanding them in-hand and/or in relation to one another. To hear their owners' (or: makers'!) take on them? Gold.

No matter how careful we are to provide scale and helpful comparison and information online, most knives look roughly the same size to me in pictures. (As just one example, GEC's #55s and #85s look much larger to me online than they reveal themselves to be in actuality. I am always surprised at how relatively small they are, though I really shouldn't be by now.)

I so enjoyed seeing Gary's selection, Charlie's barlows and Lyle's farmer jacks, Bob's array of all sorts of patterns for chicken fingering and coon eyeing (or something like!), and maybe most recognizably, watching Brian pat his pockets and bring forth yet another knife he'd brought along (including really cool pieces I wouldn't have seen otherwise, like a wicked one-armed-man #85 and a Menefee). And all this in addition to asking Christ Tucker to please let me see this, and now this, and maybe these together, from the GEC store inventory. For example.

Maybe this is old hat to many of you, but being able to share like this -- not just the knives themselves, but the knives as seen and chosen and examined and valued by their respective owners and creators-- was a first for me.

Hopefully not a last. :)

~ P.

Also there was this:
IMG_0886.jpg~original

;)

That Owl looks HUGE in the picture!!:eek:

Delightful!:D

Oh, and everything Sarah said!!;)

I was glad to have thought ahead enough to bring that along!

I'm pretty sure that GEC really stands for:

Gary Enjoys Cutlery ;)

G2

I missed the rendezvous, but have a question for those who have been to the factory in Tittusville. I see in some of the pics that there is a nice display there of all their knives. Are any knives available to buy directly at the factory? Current models or both current and older models?

I live 2 hours away, and it would be a beautiful ride through the mountains to get there (from the boonies to the boonies). I'm thinking of taking a little road trip some time in the next couple weeks. It is so hard to look at these great knifes as pictures on-line - it would be such a great help to see them in person. I'm new to the collecting world, but have now focused on GEC knives as I move forward - made in Pennsylvania!

And by the way - just watched the great video on their new site - so great to see a knife being made there from start to finish. Now that has really made up my mind to start my collection with their knives.

Wow, its fantastic reading this, a combination of great interest mixed with a wee tinge of sadness I couldn't get there, but Great Reading!
Thank you Gary, Sarah, Charlie, Caleb for taking us there, just awesome.

Last edited:
I missed the rendezvous, but have a question for those who have been to the factory in Tittusville. I see in some of the pics that there is a nice display there of all their knives. Are any knives available to buy directly at the factory? Current models or both current and older models?

Check their website. Anything they list online as being available for purchase, you can buy directly from the store.

-Dan

I am saving up now for next year, fingers crossed that they will have another one, but after this year I would think so, also bringing along my wife's uncle next time too, he's more of a knife collector than I'll ever be! ;)
G2

Back