1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

GEC artwork

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sogflash, Jul 9, 2013.

1. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    Just making a useless thread saying that I really like the artwork GEC does for each knife. I find the images charming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do they create all the artwork themselves, are someone making it for them or are they using some already existing images?

2. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Don't know who does the work but I like it as well. Sorta reminds me of Norman Rockwell or Terry Redlin type presentation at times.

3. jakemex

jakemex

Oct 19, 2011
    Took the words out of my mouth! The first thing that came to mind was Norman Rockwellesque looking.

4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    They comb the internet for nice images, which usually have something to do with the use of the knife, or the name they have given it.
    Tom Sawyer's Barlow of course.
    [​IMG]
    I tried to get them to use a Norman Rockwell piece of the famous fence painting, but the don't use art that requires royalty payments, of course!

5. I would like to see a book devoted to artwork used on knife boxes and ephemera.

Especially GEC's.

I am sure I am forgetting one that's already out there.

6. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    I bet it would sell to users here if GEC made a book with all the artwork they use. At least I wish they would share the original images without the knife in the middle.

7. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd buy that book!

8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I like their artwork too :)

9. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm a fan of the art also and I heard Tom and Huck had a time finding the right mixture to coat that fence.

10. pmew

pmew Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I like it, it reminds me of the pictures hanging from the walls of old Derbyshire country pubs. Opposite the rows of tankards with swan-neck pumps beneath.

Paul

11. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Yes, their artwork makes me feel nostalgic.

12. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I find it most appealing.
    My other collection of which I have over 200 is the old British Ladybird books from the 60s and 70s.Not sure if you had them in the States.
    Many of these images are now used for fatuous humour which destroys their innocence which is a bit of shame but nevertheless funny.
    Its difficult to tell which ones have been tampered with.Sadly many of these issues were unknown to children back then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I seem to remember suggesting a range of knives could be named after birds of prey.
    The artwork of John Leigh Pemberton would suit nicely.
    [​IMG]

13. Tensleep

Tensleep

Apr 15, 2013
    I also would purchase the book. How many other companies put that kind of effort into their packaging and promotional materials? I suspect very few.

14. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    The tube art and advertising art they use has a certain old timey charm to it, somewhat innocent too. I find it is the icing on the cake for me.

15. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Artwork ...... yet another one of the things the GEC team is doing right! :thumbup:

-- Mark

16. Old Hunter

Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Their advertising art reminds me very much of the old Calendar art used by Winchester, Remington, and Marlin in the pre WW-I up to WW-II eras; perfect for vintage style products - I like it! OH