GEC Beavertails

Status
Not open for further replies.
001-4.jpg

musk, cherry--scout,cherry--scout,smooth bone--slim trap,bubinga--pioneer farmer,smooth bone--pioneer,bubinga--ben hogan,cherry--lockback,bocote--fur trap,bubinga. i believe this beavertail theme by gec started with the light bones in 2007 & then continued with wood & special shields after. but as always with gec nothing is written in stone.---dennis

Last edited:
Nice line up Dennis. Have they ever used the beaver shield on a bone handle? (I'm assuming not...)

What exactly is the history behind the "Beaver Tail" knife? Was this an old brand or style from back in the day or just something GEC invented?

Glad you posted these.

The Beaver Tail 73 'Scout' from 07, was one of my first GECs and got me firmly hooked. Now although I've not actually used this knife, it's a desk-queen,the smooth bone has darkened a bit so it's more like an old ivory from handling. Fine knife with good proportions, really made me admire the marque and what they are trying to do. OK, they have some rather odd naming of knives/patterns and one or two designs I don't care for, but they are on the authentic ball as far as I'm concerned. Never yet-touch jigged wood-had a badly made or disappointing GEC pocket knife, that is genuine satisfaction.

As to the origins of the name (the shield came later) no idea, they may have dreamed it up! On the other hand, could it be a Canadian Conspiracy like the Trojan Horse?? :eek: Mind you, let's face it, Beavers are (frequently) attractive too :D

I think that's enough innuendo and double entendre folks. There are more suitable areas of these forums for such humor. Thanks in advance for keeping it family friendly per the guidelines.

Last edited:
hey blues, we all appreciate the job you do here and realize there are guidelines to adhere to but you really should RELAX

hey blues, we all appreciate the job you do here and realize there are guidelines to adhere to but you really should RELAX

Not the place for this discussion (read our guidelines) and you don't know what's been going on behind the scenes involving my co-moderator and certain aspects of this thread. So please just move on and discuss the knives. If you have a need to discuss forum matters and administration you can email Gus or me.

Nice collection, Dennis.

There was a Beaver Pond knife, too, that would be a great addition to that set.

When it comes to the atmosphere that has come about here through the years (which did not happen by accident) neither Blues or I are going to relax and let it degrade. Sorry if you disagree, it is just not going to happen. We have forums here where that type of humor is appropriate.

It is not appropriate in this forum.

joe bob is correct as usual in his observation of the beaver pond gec model. i think it was a pioneer farmer with a muddy looking bone. i passed since that bone looked dirty. wish i could have seen a better pic so my accessment might have been different. i've been gunshy since about a year back i bought a gec for 100 dollars & it was so ugly ' i sold the knife to my brother that week for 50.00----dennis

Last edited:
Great line up of knives the large bone model is attractive but I would love to see the bone with the beavertail shield! would be the icing on the cake...that bone really does look mint!

Dennis...what can I say, yet another stunning line up mu friend, ok..I have looked, and looked, my favourites out of that beautiful line up would be the smooth boned knives-but then that cherry lockback is lookin' damn fine too! :thumbup:
Dennis, I hope you dont mind me saying here mate....what you do is fantasticly inspiring, I look forward greatly to your threads and knowledgeable comments, thank you my friend :thumbup:

Yes, the Beaver Pond bone did look a little like it had been.....in a pond. Kind of a dirty water color, naturally, they varied a lot. But with hindsight, it sort of becomes a missing part of the "set".

thanks duncan & all you guys for looking , i believe my track record only shows an innocent interest in knives . a record check will show i never go in whine & cheese & try to present a wholesome display & comments but i'm only a player & not a coach.----dennis

And he issued another one for trolling.

See ya. Maybe you should have listened to the nice warnings (3 of them) regarding your thread titles.

I have a question about that knife on the far right (Furtaker trapper, I think). It seems like when closed, the wharnie blade sticks up a good bit and would make using the clip blade sort of uncomfortable, like when you're using the main blade on a stockman that has a really proud sheepsfoot blade. Am I right?

-- Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back