GEC Bullnose Redneck has landed.

Mine just showed up today. I have a few Soddies including a custom KR Johnson. I have to say that other than the KRJ this one is by far the best. No gaps, no blade play, perfect snap and a nice grind. The only issue is that it is butter knife dull with an edge profile that is >25 degrees per side. Not really a problem because I can reprofile it on my Edge Pro in less than 20mins. The blade steel deserves a very nice polished edge to see what it can really do. Of all the traditional knives I've picked up over the last year I can say that I'm VERY impressed with this one! Pictures to come soon.....

Last edited:
I LOVE my GEC bullnose sodbuster! First ever proper "traditional" knife and so far I'm quite impressed :thumbup:

pics to come shortly...

I just reserved another black bullnose from the next run. That will take my total Bullnose collection to 7:eek: Two of the orange test runs, two new orange rednecks, two original bullnoses in black and then a black redneck. I think I might be good after that:D

Hmmm.... My redneck Bull Nose is starting to get a few spots on the blade. i suppose it's either time to hit it with a little Rig and see it it cleans up or see about forcing a patina. Maybe I'll just let it go and eat some more fruit.....

I'm not too worried. I've been wanting to get it out and use it more, but it is still getting babied more than it deserves. So I suppose this is like the first scratch on the new truck. After that, it's no big deal. :D

It feels like O1 starts to rust even if you just look at it the wrong way!

Mine started to get some spots on the spine and along the liners, even with regular mineral oil application (and probably too much babying with not nearly enough use!), so I gave it the mango patina treatment this morning. Has a nice array of color in direct sunlight and I figure this will make it a little more resilient to the high humidity of where I'm moving. I may hit it with scotch brite pads to lighten it up a bit before touching up the edge tomorrow, but i also kind of like how it looks so I'm still undecided. And yes the "bull nose" logo is still visible under the right angle too...

imag1333a.jpg

I've got an Orange one coming, bought it off a fellow named Frank, runs an online shop. Might still have one or two left as his site will still let you put em in the cart.

I'm talking to a fellow about a Olive wood Herder and then all I need is a vintage Case (unless I get a custom)

looking forward to the workhorse blades

Thats a good trio of soddies Waldganger, you will be happy with your new companions:thumbup:

I've read nothing but good things about the fit and finish on the bull nose but mine came with a blade that was pretty far off center. Am I alone here?

I don't recall any of mine being off center except the one I ran over with my truck. If it's not rubbing the liner I wouldn't worry to much about it but I fall in the camp that the sodbuster is a work knife and I don't get to hung on that sort of thing. If it's a big deal to you, and that's ok since it's your money and the GEC isn't a bargain knife, then send it back to who ever you bought it from or send it to GEC. Goo dluck bro, hope you end up happy with your knife, the GEC is one of my favorites from all my soddies. Trevor~

Thanks man. I wish I could get over the whole blade centering thing. But for some reason it can just drive me nuts and it's all I can look at when I pick it up. Oh well. I'll probably keep it since I love everything else about it

I don't recall any of mine being off center except the one I ran over with my truck. If it's not rubbing the liner I wouldn't worry to much about it but I fall in the camp that the sodbuster is a work knife and I don't get to hung on that sort of thing. If it's a big deal to you, and that's ok since it's your money and the GEC isn't a bargain knife, then send it back to who ever you bought it from or send it to GEC. Goo dluck bro, hope you end up happy with your knife, the GEC is one of my favorites from all my soddies. Trevor~

I have a GEC bullnose redneck with the black handle and the 'red neck' stamped on the pivot. It does not have the 'red neck' stamp on the blade however. I am thinking mine is a one-off used from varying bullnose parts during the transition from the first run to the 'red neck' run. I am not sure if the handle on mine is thick like the orange 'red neck' version, or if it is thinner like the original version. If there were any blade differences, I think the blade on mine might be the pointer one.

My Black Bullnose 'Red Neck'...
8539163253_7c3736aa9a_b.jpg

8535923924_876b7e007c_c.jpg

I'm curious, are there any differences between the 'red neck' bullnose version and the newer F&F pivot stamped bullnose (which is still currently available at various retailers) other than the 'red neck' and 'F&F' stamping?

I've been wanting a sodbuster for a lil while now, and this thread is pushing me towards one. Been trying to decided between a Case Jr. and a GEC, and I'm leaning towards the GEC I think after seeing these pics.The question that keeps me on the fence is whether I want a yellow or orange one, decisions decisions, And then I start looking at the black ones and that could go to either company:D Too many purchases on the go lately so the sodbuster is going to have to wait, giving me time to make up my mind, but I definitely see a sodbuster on my horizon. Those orange handles are certainly swaying me towards the bullnose though, I can say that much.

NoNameNomad...

I have a Red Neck Bull Nose and a Case CV Sodbuster Jr. I'm very happy with the quality of the GEC, and extremely disappointed with my Case.

Now, the Case is not meant to be a show piece with perfect fit and finish; it's meant to be a cheap, hardworking knife. And I'm certain that I got a "lemon", and that most any other example won't be as bad as mine. Severe blade wobble, uneven handles, and the spring pin has rotated around and sticks out since the rounding is no longer flush.

Comparatively, the fit and finish on the GEC is great. The handles aren't 100% even either, but they're way better than the Case. No blade wobble. The half-stop adds a sense of refinement, as does the subtle swedge on the blade. IMO the O-1 tool steel is a lot better than the CV on the Case. While there's nothing "wrong" with CV, it's very soft. That makes it easy to sharpen, but it doesn't hold an edge nearly as long as the O-1, and I have no problem sharpening O-1. The only thing I prefer about the Case over the GEC F&F line is that the spring and liners on the GECs is not stainless steel. That means they'll tarnish/spot/rust just like the blade...and even easier than the blade, since your sweaty hands will be all over it. A patina'd blade is one thing, but I don't like rusty handles. YMMV of course.

Apart from those differences, the other obvious difference is the price. The GEC is about double the price of the Case. Some balk at the price of the price of the GEC, as they're used to the cheap price of Cases (and others), and consider a sodbuster to be a "throwaway" knife for hard, dirty work. But IMO, if you're only looking for a simple, hardworking knife that you can use (and maybe abuse) without feeling guilty, the GEC is still a great choice at its price. Just don't think of it as a "throwaway", because it'll last longer than that. The GEC costs twice as much, but even if I had received a perfect Case CV Sodbuster Jr, I'd consider the GEC twice the knife as the Case.

Despite all that I've said, I'm not trying to steer you away from the Case and towards the GEC. I said all that so that you'd think about what you're wanting a sodbuster for. If you're looking for something to keep in the garage to bust up cardboard boxes, or to dig weeds out of your garden, or to use and abuse until it's time to buy another one, go with the Case. But if you're something you expect to last a long time, even with hard use (but not abuse), go with the GEC and I think you'll be happier in the long run. After all, we're only talking about a $25 difference. I don't like to think of a sodbuster as a "throwaway", but I do think of it as a knife I'd rather use for certain work instead of a more expensive knife (traditional or modern), and the $50 price doesn't bother me. Now, granted, I don't really carry my GEC sodbuster much, but instead I carry one of its brothers, a Hayn' Helper sheepsfoot, but the principle is the same. If Case made a similar model, I'd be certain I'd prefer the GEC for its better quality and refinement.

And then of course, you can always get both. Get a GEC, and use it for things you don't want to subject your other, presumably more expensive EDC for. Enjoy its quality and refinement. But get a Case sb Jr as well, for those times where you don't want to risk damaging your GEC doing something that might damage the fine edge you put on its O-1 steel.

Back