GEC Hunters - Opinions

sceva

Gold Member
What is the communities opinion overall of the GEC Hunters?

I really like the folders and have more than a few, all of which get carried regularly. Their Hunters though leave me a little cold. Flat ground, no guards (except the latest) or pommels, Handles that are rather blah with many being just straight with no contour at all. They strike me as being utilitarian and look a little, shall I say it, cheap or modified from flat stock kitchen cutlery. I almost expected to see the latest ones , http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/2019/05/30/gec-hunters/ to be marked Genuine Bowie or Buffalo Hunter like some the cheaper imports of days gone by.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GEC folders but I think they could do a whole lot better with their fixed blade hunters. Maybe add a nice contoured (cast?) guard and pommel, and give the handles some contour rather than the same thickness end to end. How about a nice traditional stacked leather handle?

My opinion is that GEC is a company that makes traditional knives and that that pattern is traditional.

They have made some other patterns that might appeal to you more--they can be seen on their website.

What is the communities opinion overall of the GEC Hunters?

I really like the folders and have more than a few, all of which get carried regularly. Their Hunters though leave me a little cold. Flat ground, no guards (except the latest) or pommels, Handles that are rather blah with many being just straight with no contour at all. They strike me as being utilitarian and look a little, shall I say it, cheap or modified from flat stock kitchen cutlery. I almost expected to see the latest ones , http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/2019/05/30/gec-hunters/ to be marked Genuine Bowie or Buffalo Hunter like some the cheaper imports of days gone by.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GEC folders but I think they could do a whole lot better with their fixed blade hunters. Maybe add a nice contoured (cast?) guard and pommel, and give the handles some contour rather than the same thickness end to end. How about a nice traditional stacked leather handle?

I think that the simple utilitarian look is exactly what they were shooting for. I mean, look at the price point.. These were to fixed blades what the Bullbuster and Bullnose are to the folders. Work knives. Simple, fully functional, inexpensive.

I am certain that GEC could turn out some spectacular fixed blades, and perhaps they will, some day, but don't expect to see them at anywhere near the price of these work knives.

Plus, nearly anyone can turn out a pretty nice fixed blade knife, but it appears that not very many companies can make classic, traditional folding knives with anywhere near the consistent level of quality as GEC.

This is currently my only GEC knife , and everything you wish it wasn't is why I wanted it and why I'm really loving it so far.

I wish more companies would make carbon steel fixed blades along these lines.
I like the elegant utilitarian simplicity.
Usually these days when a company makes a fixed blade like that the handle is plastic or nylon or something, and the blades are usually stainless.
Not enough companies are doing it with truly traditional materials.

Last edited:
GEC makes superlative slipjoints, unmatched by any of their contemporaries. If you want a fixed blade however, there are many more choices. Look elsewhere.

The very simple H30, H40, H50 pattern you are referring to is called a “sportsman’s knife” and it is very traditional. I don’t know if anyone else is making that pattern, maybe that’s why GEC are producing them.

(Somewhat ironic that the modern fad of ‘bushcraft’ has moved toward Moras and the like on the basis that they are simple no-frills heavy duty work knives). All that is old is new.

(Photo to follow)

GEC also make the H73 series, which are really good knives and probably underrated on these forums

eK9SDsR.jpg

Last edited:
I have a H40. These knives were made for field dressing deer and other game. I have hunted for many years and have field dressed and processed many deer. I can tell you this is a great knife for that purpose. The edge geometry on the H40 is very thin. As a matter of fact it is thinner behind the edge than the Bull Buster, #86 or #97. They are a purpose driven knife made to be used not just looked at.

Geoff

Back