GEC question . . .

What does the "UN-X-LD" stand for that's stamped on the bolster of the #25 Northfield Barlows?

But in many ways I think they are unexcelled as I think they are the best made production slipjoint at the moment.

Anything can CHANGE though:D

The "UNXLD" does mean unexxelled but the way in came aboout is the originial Northfield Cutlery Co. came up with it and used it while they were producing knives. At the time they were producing knves there were alot of cutlery companies around. Northfield and others used to come up with catching phrases to sell there knives like Tested XX so that is the reason Northfield come up with it. I think GEC just wants to bring some of that old stle back.

Welcome to Bladeforums AntiqueKnifeFan!
Thats some good info that I was unaware of. Are you a fan of GEC's or do you stick to the older stuff?

My wedding anniversary is coming up soon, and I caught my wife looking at GEC #25 Barlows on her laptop today . . . could it be?:D

GEC had a few issues when they began, but I think they are hitting full stride now!

My wedding anniversary is coming up soon, and I caught my wife looking at GEC #25 Barlows on her laptop today . . . could it be?:D

Funny that you brought that up. I just ordered a GEC Scout w/ Goldenrod micarta scales as an anniversary present to myself (my wife has already given up on giving me presents or even asking what I want). Being the romantic traditionalist I am, I figured the micarta scales would fit the bill as a Paper Anniversary present.

By it for herself? That's just cruel. In that case, I'll buy myself some nice jewelry and maybe we can trade!

Maybe she let you see it so you'd buy her one!!??
You know how subtle women are!!:D:D

Just caught a glimpse of a GEC Wharncliffe Barlow...wow. I'm probably gonna' pull the trigger on one...

My question how are the factory edges on these?

Just caught a glimpse of a GEC Wharncliffe Barlow...wow. I'm probably gonna' pull the trigger on one...

My question how are the factory edges on these?
Where?

I saw a #253208J Jack w/Wharncliff on their new products page, but no Barlow. The Jack has an end cap. Is that what you were thinking of, or did I miss something in the three places I checked?

-- Sam

Right off the Cumberlandknifeworks Home page...4 colors in stock Saturday. Got mine ordered this afternoon.

Yep, I saw that Wharnie GEC and could not hold back! :thumbup:

I'm expecting my new GEC barlow jack with a sheepfoot master blade to arrive any moment. I got the one with the "Patriot" acrylic scales- looks like it should be a winner.
The sheepfoot's pretty darned close to the wharnie in that stubbie configuration. I think it might be slightly better than the wharncliffe, because it lets the thumbnick be just a little bit further away from the pivot, for more leverage. You want as much leverage as you can get on the #25- those springs are no joke.

http://blog.tsaknives.com/2008/11/04/new-patriots-are-in-with-sheepsfoot-blades.aspx

And here's another cool one.

http://blog.tsaknives.com/2008/11/05/a-new-25-barlow-jack-is-in.aspx

I'm digging the barlow jack. I'm not crazy about the huge bolsters on the traditional barlow pattern- but I like the proportions. Smaller bolsters, and endcaps are nice. GEC is on to something here, I think.

Back