GEC Stag Sunday

DSC00385.jpg
all the gecs are 1095 except the acorn musk in center bottom. mixture of genuine stag & burnt stag. i beleive all the models are here. sleeveboard, exe. whitt, stock whitt , big horn, musk, musk fur, fur trapper, big jack, moose, 25 barlow,lockback, scout,slim trapper, sunfish,bullet trap,, anyway i think joebob or black mamba will let us know if any were missed. stag is really king of the handle materials. [i.m.o.] dennis

What a nice turnout with everyone in their Sunday best...

Nice image, Dennis.

Dennis, I think what you refer to as bullet trapper is the Pioneer jumbo trapper, third from the left on top row (genuine stag?).

Did Remington make the bullet trapper in different sizes?

Dennis, your burnt 72 with threaded bolsters is my new girlfriend-- take good care of her for me! :thumbup: ;) :p

Did Remington make the bullet trapper in different sizes?

Yes, there was the larger R1123/R1128 (bone/wood) and the smaller R1173 (4.5" and 3.5" closed respectively)

Thanks, Elliott. I thought they did, but wasn't sure the size of the smaller one. Interesting that so many different companies make them now, but in all kinds of sizes: 3-1/2, 3-3/4, 3-7/8, 4-1/2, 4-5/8. Not certain, but I think I have even seen Bear MGC market a mini, around 3".

Thanks, Elliott. I thought they did, but wasn't sure the size of the smaller one. Interesting that so many different companies make them now, but in all kinds of sizes: 3-1/2, 3-3/4, 3-7/8, 4-1/2, 4-5/8. Not certain, but I think I have even seen Bear MGC market a mini, around 3".

You're welcome, Jeff. Never enough of a good thing, I guess. ;)

Interestingly, Remington only offered the large knife in bone or wood; the smaller in bone only. No stag.
(Though the 4.5" single blade lockback R1306 was offered in stag with a similar frame style. (Also in bone, R1303.)

Dennis, the stag on the Lockback 72 looks exceptionally bark-like. Got my Lockback in Burnt Orange on Friday and I'm well pleased with it-smooth opener,CLICK!
All the stag shown is very worthy, how about a Congress/Half-Congress?

Regards, W

well you guys are correct i missed the congress. in west texas congress were non existant. it was all stocks musks & jacks. was many years before i found out that in north carolina, tennessee, kentucky & that area it was all about congress. i guess those boys chewed more terbacky than we did. [we did our share of cut plug] i've heard that the old cases in green bone & congress bring 1000s of bucks. i believe i've only got 2 gecs in congress guess a skunk ca'nt change his stripes. my brother & nephews have hundreds of knives & not one congress.thanks for looking. i know my pics vary a lot in clarity & i really have'nt solved the techniques yet .dennis stag has gotten so expensive that i never buy straight knives with it. sure loved the pumas i used to have.

Hi everybody.

Please help me with a GEC stag question. I read the answer somewhere but

cannot find it now.

I know the difference between genuine stag and burnt stag but what is

red stag? Thank you+++ for your help :thumbup: :D

Dude, it looks like GEC has both dyed red stag (UN-X-LD shield) and also genuine red stag (no shield, but GENUINE STAG blade etch) which just naturally has the reddish coloration.

Dude, it looks like GEC has both dyed red stag (UN-X-LD shield) and also genuine red stag (no shield, but GENUINE STAG blade etch) which just naturally has the reddish coloration.

Thank you :thumbup: I think they are ALL pretty. I just need more money :(

Back