GEC steel

Anyone have any comments on the hardness and related performance on the 1095 and 440C steels on the GEC knives? There is quite a bit of discussion on the build quality of the GECs but I haven't seen much discussion on the steel or how that 440C does particularly. I like that acorn shield on the 440C models so I was considering trying one out. Thanks

So, the GECs that are listed as having SS blades, are 440C? Hmm, I might have to get that GEC Scout I saw with SS blades & Golden Rod micarta...:D

GEC's 1095 will Rockwell from 57 to 59 which is more than just good enough.
Greg

My Pioneer takes a very sharp edge and keeps it a long time. I can cut a lot of tomato stakes before I need to touch up the edge. They must have fantastic control of their heat treats.

I have found them excellent in hardness and edge retention.

Out of curiosity, is that with both steels? I'm sure the 1095 is excellent, but, like the OP, I am curious about the SS blades, which I'm taking to be 440C, right? I did/do not know what steel the SS is, although I'm sure it is excellent, too.

^It is 440c - Derrick's site lists them as such. It seems that the 1095 is much more popular given the production #s and the discussion here. I too like the goldenrod micarta - may need to take the plunge.

I have a Scout with the goldenrod micarta and the 440C blades - awesome knife. To be honest you, I haven't done anything with it yet that would tax the edge retention, but considering how well GEC does everything else...

I have had the pioneer for a week now and love the blades. I use the spey shaped blade for cutting up fruits and the other one for duty work like packages. Both are holding up very well :thumbup:

Just wanted to folow up on the 440C. I was stripping a branch to make a walking stick yesterday. This included cutting/gouging out a bunch of knots (some pretty big and nasty). I used my spey blade for the whole endeavor and I noticed NO loss of edge. Of course, I stropped it afterwards on a magazine because some things just need to be done.

Back