GEC Warranty

I just bought a GEC Clerk 13 off of Country Knives. (yes i know i paid too much haha) When i received it today i noticed it had front to back blade play. I know you are thinking that’s silly it’s a slip joint but i kid you not it had an audible and visual click going from front to back on the pen blade before it hits the spring. Will GEC fix this? How good is their warranty?

I’ve always gotten excellent customer service from GEC. I have never had any warranty work done but they have repaired to knives I got on the secondary market which they charged $15 each and solved the issues and gave them both their spa treatment. I’m sure they will take care of you.
good to hear they do the spa treatment, the knife had some serious blade rub from the ten or so times i opened it

when I first read this post I thought it was about blade rub, but after re-reading this it sounds like an assembly error or parts out of spec.

I suspect you may need a replacement knife.

i hope GEC can make you happy.

Last edited:
As far as the play you describe, I've seen similar on a case knife. In my instance, the hole in either the knife or blade was out of spec, or the back spring was too short. The result was that there was a hair of a gap between the blade where it was supposed to touch the spring end and the spring end. It felt mushy in use, and you could visibly see and feel movement when moved with your fingers.

It would have been interesting if you'd gotten a short video of your issue, and some pictures of the blade rub.

I think you should complain to the dealer first and request a refund/replacement. If that's not productive then e-mail GEC.

Generally, the vendors don't hold any back for warranties (unless it's a less popular model that doesn't sell well and they price it high enough to have leftovers)

That said I have sent new release knives with flaws and gotten a replacement from GEC. I do have a heritage jack that developed some blade play, curious what GEC will do to remedy it. It's not much play, but it's enough to bug me.

GEC does hold back some parts for repairs, but no idea how much and for what patterns. I had a 48 trapper from 2017 I bought on that auction site in a group of mixed used knives. The blades turned out to have been shortened and the spines reground by a previous owner. The clip spine was ground down to the point where the nail nick was almost open on top.

I sent an email with photos and a description of the knife, but Joan Mae told me that they no longer had parts for that release.

I asked again after the new 48s were released this year and Joan Mae said they will only use parts from the exact release for repair work, because there may be design changes (like the pivot hole) that would prevent a newer release part from working properly in an older release.

GEC does hold back some parts for repairs, but no idea how much and for what patterns. I had a 48 trapper from 2017 I bought on that auction site in a group of mixed used knives. The blades turned out to have been shortened and the spines reground by a previous owner. The clip spine was ground down to the point where the nail nick was almost open on top.

I sent an email with photos and a description of the knife, but Joan Mae told me that they no longer had parts for that release.

I asked again after the new 48s were released this year and Joan Mae said they will only use parts from the exact release for repair work, because there may be design changes (like the pivot hole) that would prevent a newer release part from working properly in an older release.
That's disappointing. The wording there sounds like they won't even check to see if the new parts will work. If that's the case, it's just "policy".

Good luck with your warranty issue. I hope it works out, though GEC has one of the worst warranties out there.

Reactions: JM2
That's disappointing. The wording there sounds like they won't even check to see if the new parts will work. If that's the case, it's just "policy".

Yes, disappointing, but I know time is money and trying parts unsuccessfully on a repair might be hard for them to justify.

On the other hand, I'd expect them to keep a log on design changes from release to release. That would tell them if a pattern changed enough that parts from one release wouldn't fit properly in another.

Reactions: JM2
Time might be money, but customer service makes or breaks a company's reputation.

I have had Buck replace a blade on a 426 BuckLite with a new 110 blade at no charge. While they didn't get paid for their time and even though the knife was old and I wasn't the original owner, the benefits of that repair are paying dividends in free advertising to this very day/post.

Conversely, I just had an issue with a brand new Berkley (Pure Fishing) fishing rod, and they offered to replace it for a $10 charge. That's paying dividends also... but the advertising isn't favorable.

Back