Gelbu Special is a real beauty of a blade.

Got my 21 inch Gelbu Special today. I am again amazed at what Bura has done. The blade on this masterpiece is a true thing of beauty. Absolutely perfectly forged and polished. The hollow "grind" gives this long blade a real nice balance for as long as it is. Nice horn handle that distributes the weigh nicely. Scabbard is typical great quality with good engraving.

In just the few hours I've been "playing" with it, I can tell that it has some serious spirit. I think it would be impossible to craft such a fine piece and not impart some of your spirit in it.

Again, many thanks to Bura, Uncle and everyone at HI for another fine addition to my collection.

Not sure what to get next...maybe it's time for a bit of a "breather"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

So many tempting delicasies
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by rdnzl (edited 01-06-2001).]

Rusty

Thanks, Rog. Bill will be delighted to know you are more than pleased.

I'm sure you are correct about Bura imparting some of his spirit into the khukuri. What makes me scratch my head is that what Sanu makes has a powerful presence to me, while the ones Bura makes - I guess you could say those khuks flat out ignore me and don't talk to me at all. If they do for you, so be it.

------------------
H I Forum posts to date: Active Forum Archive I Archive II = 36,000+
H I Office # (775) 825-2279

Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Rusty, Sanu's blades are marvelous also, but I just seem to "connect" more with Bura's.

Maybe he's an Aquarius
biggrin.gif

You know, I usually am not taken with the a blades "spirituality". The only thing I usually consider in that vein is whether a blade is male or female (it cuts me with a 24 hour period).

However, I have been sitting here, holding and polishing my 30 inch Kumar Kobra for the last couple of hours, and I find a strange comfort and warmth while I handle this blade.

------------------
Watakushi Wa Shinajin Desu
DeathDancer

The kamis pour their hearts and souls into making these Khukuris. Many, many years of tradtion and heritage are also part of it.
I never would have believed any "spritual" aura or whatever could be attached to an inanimate object like a blade, but after I hung my Kothimoda in my den, I swear it makes "calls" to me while I sit near it.

I am not alone in this one either:
I put a couple of my Khukuris in my safe. Not a good idea. As much as I would try to ignore them in there, I could not. As long as they were in there, I could not stop having them pop into my mind. Once I removed them and placed them about the house, they stopped "calling" to me.

I think this is the only place where I can share these facts without fear of looking like a looney, but that's the way they affect me, what EXACTLY is going on, I'll probably never really know.

Rusty

I don't know what it is, just that it is.

On the other hand, isn't it nice to know there really is some magic hidden somewhere out there?

Can't remember how they put it, but I'm not going to try to argue that what is reality here in the US and what is reality in Nepal must necessarily be the same things.

------------------
H I Forum posts to date: Active Forum Archive I Archive II = 36,000+
H I Office # (775) 825-2279

Khukuri FAQ

My BAS keeps calling for me all the time.I've put it in our bookshelf behind a glassdoor so I can see it most of the time.If I'm not at home and without my BAS my mind always comes up with "it would really be nice to have that big knife along right now"-thoughts.Thats even when I go to the supermarket.I dont want to do anything special with it, just have it by my side.

Weird is it?

Regards Daniel

------------------
boys newer grow up,it's only their toys getting more expensive....

:
Each of my Khukuri's as well as the Keris's I have in my keeping have a different spirit or feeling about them.
Some are stronger than others.

I have been privileged enough to have held some of the old objects used by my people in times past.
One of them is an Eagle Fan that an alleged ancestor of mine made and used during his life many many years ago.
The first time I got to hold the fan I almost dropped it. I couldn't believe that it had actually shocked me. I was privileged to hold the fan a couple of other times and I wasn't so started when the shock came.
I would be very honored to have the fan in my keeping and to learn what it has to tell me. Perhaps one of these years it will make its way back into its original family.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ

:
Will an Eagle Fan is made from the tail or wing feathers from an eagle that's used to fan oneself much like the Oriental and other Fans that people used to use before electricity was common.
The Eagle Fan among others is also used to help fan a fire into higher flames or for moving smoke from different herbal incenses around people in order to bless or "cleanse" them.
The Eagle Fan is the most powerful of all fans among most ndn people.
Almost all fans are made from birds of prey wing or tail feathers. The Cherokee also use turkey feathers as the wild turkey was/is held in high esteem by the Cherokee.
Sometimes the feathers of different birds are used in different style fans. Among the Oklahoma people pheasant tail feathers are also used along with the tail feathers of the Scissor Tailed Flycatcher, the State Bird of Oklahoma. Most fans of this type are "loose fans" and are used by the Native American Church members also known as the Peyote Cult.
Eagle feathers require a permit from the US Fish and Game Dept and are issued to ndns only for religious purposes.
The same is true for other birds of prey and also for migratory birds.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ

Yvsa,

Thanks once again for sharing knowlege of your cultural history.

rdnzl,

Thanks for the excellent pix. I have a GS made by Sanu that was calling to me before I even knew it existed. As I told Bill, the feeling I had when picking it up at the post office was just like picking a friend up at the airport. "Special" just doesn't say enough.
When I first drew it, instantly it became an extension of my body in a way that confirmed what I had been feeling. I have blades made by Bura (a GRS and a favorite), Murali, Sher, and Kumar. They all have Spirit, and are friends, but didn't "connect" so powerfully and rapidly.
The three blades I have made by Sanu have this powerful connection for me, but maybe not for anyone else.

If anybody needed proof there is Magic in the world all they would need to do is really experience the art of HI Kami's.

------------------
"To know and to act are one."

Thanks for the information Yvsa.

I am looking forward to somebody doing a comparison between the 18" WWII and similar size GS. By all accounts these two seem to be the best all round khukuri's.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 01-08-2001).]