1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gemtor crash axe ?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by dingy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    hi , you all.
    yestoday i got a secondhand gemtor crash axe ,
    and i removed the shabby rubber handle off when i get it.
    maybe in future i will put micatar slabes on it .

and do you guys here have some exprience on using gemtor crash axe as a outdoor tool , in stead of a rescue axe ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    With the blade angled like that it isn't going to be useful as a camping or bushcraft tool. Other than grubbing tent pad stones I don't see much use for the spike either. Hang it in your vehicle in case you have to break a window, peel back a door or chop a hole in the roof. As a collector item (anyone got any idea of how common or how desirable/valuable these are?) the value is going to drop if you alter the scales.

Square_peg and Moonw like this.
  3. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Over here: fairly common, but I your side of the pond not so much I guess. The rubber grip makes it usefull for its real intended purpose: Cutting high voltage wires and used as a rescue axe: for breaking open doors and windows. Your assumption that it's not suitable for wood is correct. It's only kind of usable if the choice is between that axe and using your bare hands to chop wood. But if the choice is between that and a Knife id take the knife :D I believe it was mainly used in the English army. But not on the fighter planes of W.W.II as most believe, but later during the 50-70's.

It's kind of the same as an Adler RP-4 and both are rated at 20.000 Volts with the rubber handle.

Square_peg likes this.
  4. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Searching via Google I see that these are readily available 'brand-spanking new' for about $50. I guess you can have a go at modifying it into something that you think may be useful, without really jeopardizing your investment. You can always buy another one, or better yet check out Harbour Freight bargain hatchets and choppers.

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    It's flat like a knife and just won't perform like a real axe no matter what you do.
    I'd do as others have suggested and put it in your truck.