General Anvil Related Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
ome108,
As moderator, I will address that real problem here.

You seem to be a babbling fool at times. Your constant requests for information about things that basically don't matter, refusal to listen to any advice, and the fact that you don't seem to be actually making anything.....just talking about this and that......seems to imply that you are not serious, or are a troll.

You have made 155 posts over five months, all with questions that rambled from rail road track, to 4140, to H13, S7, Atlas forges, belt grinders, disc grinders, a basement shop, building a shed shop, power hammers, Chinese anvils, Nathan's specialty tools, buffers, bubble jigs,......... and more.

You have a basement filled with lathes and mills and metal working tools, but ask questions that would make one think you never saw a piece of metal before. Your budget is $4000 for a grinder and $2000 for an anvil. You have ordered grinders, tools, forges, big chunks of steel, specialty tools, etc.
Despite the fact that you claim to be an experienced metal worker, you don't seem to be able to smooth the end of a piece of rail track, make an edge on a piece of round stock, or complete any metal projects.

The real problem is that in all this time you have not talked about making knives. You did claim that in your past incarnations you had learned all you need to know about knifemaking, so maybe that is why (although many of your earlier posts started with ..."I am new to knifemaking.").

If you are serious about making knives, make some and stop babbling. Show us some plans, progress, finished knives, whatever.
If you are just talking to hear yourself talk...go do it elsewhere.

Ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you that I don't make posts like the above unless I see a real problem.

Apparently none of your many incarnations taught you how to not be a pompous clattering buttock.
But it did teach me to ignore those comments that are mean, derogatory, and hurtful, for no good reason.
But u are a funny guy.
Jon

On a wise suggestion, I am going to merge all these anvil and related threads for simplicity.

This thread makes my brain hurt. Then I saw a squirrel, and a blue car, and a dog with a puffy tail, and a piece of 5160 in my shop, and I rode a bmx bike once, and I like toasters, and I have three anvils, so what kind of dog should I get?

But it did teach me to ignore those comments that are mean, derogatory, and hurtful, for no good reason.
But u are a funny guy.
Jon

But u are a funny guy.
Jon

Speaking of....

ScreenShot2014-11-03at121937PM_zps3bff80d5.png

There are a limited number of people in this subforum that will cater to your needs. Be sure to understand that their willingness to engage is a choice and they are not obliged to give you any input whatsoever.

I've done nothing but try to help you. Resurrecting a thread in order to tell me "how wrong I was" is a more than a sufficient reason to bypass any and all attempts to help you again. Not that it hurt my feelings.... I'm just done following your absurdity. Your dribbling array of quasi-threads along with your self-righteousness will smother the likelihood of any and all future guidance from others. That is the best warning / advice I can give you from here on out, do what you want with it...

I still don't know why the interest in tool steels like H13. 4140 will do well and for larger anvils the higher hardenability 4340 should do well. I need more knowledge about anvils.
You could use 4340M for the bigger ones.
http://www.secotools.com/en/Global/...in/Heat-resistant-super-alloys1/Inconel-7181/

I recommend you invest in a copy of Anvils in America by Richard Postman. It's an amazing resource for any and all things anvil related... It's heirloom quality to boot... Postman even sent me a print of the illustration on the protective cover, which made it all the better buy for me...

http://www.anvilsinamerica.com/

Hi Guys,
Getting a piece of 3" diameter by 33" long professonally heat treated by a new company.
Is 58 a good RC number to go for in heat treatment of S7 for a post anvil for blades.
My heat treat guy asked me how hard I want, and I said about 54-58 RC, just going by what I had read.
Whats your opinions?
Thanks in advance ,
ome108

Last edited:
Is 58 a good rc number for heat treat?
Thanks,
Ome108

Nice of you , Stacy, for putting it where no one will see, whats with you?

that depends on what you want to do with it, if its a knife that may be fine, but if its a machete that's proly to hard, also you may have to play with the hardness for what you want to do.

Is 58 a good rc number for heat treat?
Thanks,
Ome108

Nice of you , Stacy, for putting it where no one will see, whats with you?

I can see the thread just fine, and I have you on my ignore list... So chances are Stacy hasn't done anything with malicious intent... Maybe the entirety of people that frequent this subforum just looked at the Author and figured it would be like every other thread you've started...

... and whaddya know.... it IS...

That fact aside, there are always people to help others in need in this corner of the forum, and contrary to your suspicion of Stacy "hiding" your thread, he'd be the first in line to help you out... No matter how frustrated we all might be with your history of posts... Kinda lame of you to name drop like that...

unless you have an at least 4X4 face this sounds like a bad idea. A real anvil can be had for 1-5 dollars a pound an 80 # would be fine for a beginner.

Ome108 why are you trying to get SinePari's blood pressure up by asking more post anvil questions? Just heat the metal up and beat the hell out of it till it looks like a knife already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back