General comments on BM/Pardue "Gents knife"

Hello all... I'm looking for a small (under 3" blade) folder that looks nice and is light to carry in pants too thin for even my small Seb. Could get an Umfan, but I didn't want something that small, and don't really want to spend that much either. Have a Spyderco Delica, the all-steel version. Right size, even heavier than the SEB. Spyderco Mouse & [all steel] Dragonfly also a little too small, but the latter is about the right weight.

Use will be general paper, tape, thin plastic, box, 1/4" rope cutting. Slicing apples, bagles, cutting burritos in half, etc. What ever I get, it should be unafraid of being drenched in water to clean it. Not expected to do heavy duty (like hack through walls, build a camp fire, or slice hose, miles of rope, or really thick cardboard).

Considering a BM/Pardue "Gents Knife" (model BM330P) you can view it here at http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?BM330P
Price is right (well under $100). There's no pocket clip, but in my intended application (semi-dressy office clothes) that isn't strictly necessary. <b>Does anyone have any experience with this knife who would care to make comment?</b> How do you like it? How is the lock up? Does the lock bar seem decently thick? If I grip it too hard will I unlock it? Tip strength up to an occasional use as a ice pick?

I have one (for sale too) and it is a fine little knife. Lock up is rock solid, and I don't think that you could unlock it with grip. Since it's a frame lock and titanium at that, it's pretty solid. It was just too small for me, but sounds right for your intended use. If you don't mind a combo edge blade I have a New one for sale (no box) for dirt cheap. Either way, from me or anyone else, I don't think you would regret it. Here is a link to my for sale thread

alphamaniv for sale thread

and here is a link to a decent pic of my knife, if you just want a better view than you get on the knifecenter site.

traders.jpg

Matthew, I have a 330 and carry it quite regularly. IMO it is well made and worth the money. I spend most of my time in office and professional settings and the 330 handles anything I throw at it. The frame-lock is secure and appears to be thick enough. As to accidentally opening it, anything is possible but I don't see it happening under normal circumstances. BTW, you may want to look at the BM Park Avenue if you like the 330. I got one in a trade and really like it. It has a chain/hook set up that attaches to your pocket. It's not as secure as a clip but it works pretty well. Hope this helps.

I'll offer another thumbs up for the BM 330. All and all, a fairly well executed little package. Lock-up is very good.

Another knife you might want to consider in that size range is the Spyderco Navigator. IMHO, the G10 Navigator was one the best designed small folders on the market and the almite version gives you a classier look. Solid lockback with VG-10 steel. It's actually a discontinued model, but you can get one at SMKW for only $29.95.

My only caution on this knife is that it is both very small and thin. This makes is a great carry knife, but depending on your hand size, you may not be able to operate it with one hand.

In this type of knife, I prefer the AG Russell One-Hand knife - small version. No clip though.

I have a BM330 I used to carry regularly. Quality knife, solid lock-up and the one I have is 154CM which seems to be pretty decent stuff...not sure if it comes in other flavors, but I would not hesitate to recommend this knife for your described requirements.

That said, I now carry a Navigator...it probably weighs twice as much as the 330 but is still small enough to qualify as a "gent's" and I've really gotten to like VG-10; just keeps goin' & going like that bunny!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Alphamaniv, appreciate the offer, but will go with a straight edge. My hands are only medium size, so I should be ok with the thin small knife. Given the mission in this case it won't be deployed that often anyway. I currently carry a small seb. or Spydie (all steel) delica, both just a little heavy for this application. Have a Mouse and (all steel) Dragonfly which would do also, but I'd like a little longer blade. Those last two don't see much use any more. They <i>were</i> my "air travel" knives once upon a time, but we know what happened to that...

Recently got a SOG BLINK which I really like and might fill the bill just fine. Notice the BM330 blade is only .2" longer than the blink, so we're not talking all that much more blade length. Down side of the BLINK is that the slightest bit of dirt (like pocket lint) in the mechanism will cause the lock to fail. I need something a little more robust than that.

Benchmite no pocket clip but look great and would be perfect for what you describe. The New Levitator lock is great and solid. The 310 Benchmite will tackle some fair jobs.

Hope this help you.

I've been beating up a 330 variant (it later became the 335 with a stainless frame) for more than two years now. My only problems with it have been keeping grit out of the washers. It has made me mostly abandon larger knives for everyday use.

The 335 is more compact than the 330 but has a clip and I've no trouble opening it with fairly large hands. Mine was the BM KOTM in Dec 2000 and is titanium. With the dimension, I don't see the stainless version weighing noticably more. Even with the clip, it dissapears in a pants pocket, I carry it with my pens in a shirt pocket.

I've tortured and twisted this poor little thing and it's done service above and beyond what was expected and is still rock solid. Frame locks generally just lock tighter when you squeeze them.

Wicked sharp and easy to keep that way, I often use mine to shave Sharpie felt tips.
It has cut miles of cardboard, picked a plethora of splinters and the very first cut I made with it was splitting a 2" belted exhaust hanger (who says you can't use Ford parts on a VW), I was sure it would snap.

The Benchmite looks mighty tempting but this thing seems to have a few hundred thousand miles left.

Cheers

GC

That Benchmite looks interesting, but blade length is almost 1/2" smaller than the 330, so I think I'll stick to the latter, which is already just barely long enough (I think). 2.5" is about perfect for a small pocket knife in the application I have in mind, and the 330 is 2.3" which ought to be close enough.

I'll be at the BAKCA show in Aug. and might be looking for a custom there, but I'm not really in a position to afford a nice custom folder unless I sell a few of my nice custom fixed blades I hardly get to use any more. Funny how these things work. When I'm not working (as in unemployed) I rarely use a folder. When I'm working I can't wear a FB except when I'm home which, for all practical purposes, is only on weekends...

Back