Gents Knive???

Generally a "Gentleman's Knife" refers to any knife that could easily be carried in a suit pocket and not look out of place in church or the office. Generally a small slipjoint with a classy appearance and natural handle materials.

My idea of a perfect "gent's knife" would be a very small, vintage, slipjoint with a bail that could be worn on a watch fob. The knife would have a small pen blade or two and a fingernail grooming tool.

In short, a "gent's knife" is the opposite of a military-style "tactical" knife, or a work knife.

My thoughts,
-Bob

Another style of "gent's knife" is a classy one-hander. Look at the knives made by William Henry for some good examples. They're high-tech, and operated with one hand (like most "tactical knives"), but they're still elegant.

William Henry Nautilus:
http://www.williamhenryknives.com/product/pocket/nautilus/index.html

William Henry Rio series:
http://www.williamhenryknives.com/product/pocket/rio/index.html

And the Meridian series:
http://www.williamhenryknives.com/product/pocket/meridian/index.html

A little bit too rich for my blood, but I'd still love to have one. :D

Gents knives are sheeple friendly knives that are usually smaller in size. Most are thought to be light duty in uses, such as opening envelopes, cutting or pushing back your cuticles, and stuff of that nature. The locks are usually light duty on them also so that the knife is not bulky or awkward to work.

Knives that qualify are numerous and although most have light duty locks not all do. Some are quite good and on occasion outperform even bigger knives. This has been noted more than once or twice with liner locks in particular.

William and Henry button lock folders are good gents knives.

The new BenchMade HK 14200 is a good size and type of knife to qualify as a gents knife with a heavy duty lock.

Some of the smaller production knives by Spyderco like the Kiwi are also frequently given as gifts to function as a gents knife. The Almite Walker as well as several other smaller liner lock folders all meet the requirements to be called gents knives.

STR

Sport said:
It's mostly designed for fellows who don't swear in public.

Didn't I tell you that I was not a gent? Besides, what is a hell or two between friends?

Thanks for the answers. I learned two things. One, I do have a few gents knives in my collection and Two, I have no need for them. I will have my Skirmish, or my Presidio or my Native in my pocket, whether I am at work, fishing or at church. And most of the time I will have two of the three in my pocket.

There are always uses for smaller, dressier knives. I like the Spyderco Kiwi and the BenchMade 770 for those uses. It is too bad that BM decided to stop production on that classy little knife.

lonewolf pocket paul - comes in burlwood;rosewood;ivory micarta; jade ;pearl etc - is a good example of gentlemen's knife

Even if I'm carrying a "gent's" knife, it somehow magically becomes an "insufferable bastid's" knife. :(

A Spiderco Kiwi or Kopa. I have 'em both and they are excellent "gent's knives".

I don't carry a gent's knife just as I would not carry a gent's pistol. I pack a .45 Auto or S&W .357. Nothing there for a "gentleman!"

irabren said:
lonewolf pocket paul - comes in burlwood;rosewood;ivory micarta; jade ;pearl etc - is a good example of gentlemen's knife

Very good example.
The CRK Mnandi is another one. Almost too feminine for my taste.
Kershaw Splinter is my ideal of a gents-yet-user-knife.

I carry my Mcusta Gentleman's folder every day, I work in cubeland and it nice to have a knife that looks good and non-threatening but still can tackle most daily jobs.

I picked up a brand new Kershaw Splinter with quince wood handle for only $51 off of eBay. It's a beauty!!

I've started a collection of antique pearl handled small pocketknives. You can find them from $25- $60 in antique shops, and flea markets. I only dress up 2 times a year, and really enjoy the feel of a special knife for those times.

Back