Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Problem?

Just thought I'd ask the members a question about my Gerber AF. I have the full sized model and the blade fails the spine whack test when struck from the thumb grooves on top all the way to about the half way point on the blade. Moderate force used. Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas about a possible fix?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Later, Jeff

------------------
Anybody seen the bactine, please?!?!?!?

I'd try it with mine but it's in pieces...
smile.gif

--PR

------------------
Civilian "Military" fans unite!!!

Ummmmm........pieces? That really doesn't sound good......

------------------
Anybody seen the bactine, please?!?!?!?

Mine was screwy too. Here's what I did. I took the blade off, wrapped medium grit sandpaper around a popsickle stick, and then sanded (lightly, just to roughen up) the contact points of both the liner lock and the blade tang. Now it locks up with more "stickiness." The fact remains that this wasn't the most thought-out folder in the first place in regards to the lock, but what are ya gonna do?

------------------
Professor

Ever notice no other candy tastes quite like Pez? Oh yeah, and the BM Axis rules.

I'll have to try that to mine
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

A screw in the handle got lose and fell out and was lost. I called up gerber and they sent me a complete hardware set for it and my covert. Talk about service!! Now back to mirror polishing the blade....
--PR
I never had a problem with the lock though, and it's been though alot...

[This message has been edited by prigger (edited 12 July 1999).]

The original versions of the AF folder (I couldn't speak to the later ones) were intensely...flawed, as far as I'm concerned, in their basic design. The blade locked open and sounded nice and solid until you looked at it closely -- classic liner lock engaging only the teeny-tiniest little portion of the blade tang on the far left. Spine-whack it and it would close like lightning. I sent mine to Gerber to be fixed and got back a knfie that was EXACTLY THE SAME as when it left, only they had tightened the pivot so it didn't open as easily. No difference was made in the locking mechanism.

I decided then and there that the knife could not be counted on not to close if even the slightest amount of pressure was applied.

Razor

------------------

And tomorrow when you wake up it will be worse.

I'll agree that too much trust in this particular model is probably a bad idea. However, I look at most factory knives new from the box as "a starting point" (I think Corduroy would agree), and though they may be slightly flawed sometimes they can be fixed or made even better than they're supposed to be with some machining. In the instance of the liner lock not swinging over enough for a good lockup, this is something that's gonna repair itself with wear and tear. One can also use the sandpaper/popsickle stick trick I describe above to speed up the process and to make the contact surfaces grippier. It's not a terrible design, but it's not the best either.

------------------
Professor

Ever notice no other candy tastes quite like Pez? Oh yeah, and the BM Axis rules.

I just tried mine with the spine test and it passed every time, but I have no problem understanding why it would fail. Mine is from the "First Production Run 1996", so if there were problems in the beginning I have them
smile.gif
If you look closely at the lock, it does not have good contact with the blade at all, and in some of the other ones I have seen there is way too much vertical motion.

Even though mine passed the spine test I don't think I would count on it for an everyday knife.

------------------
All the knives in the world go round and round, round and round, round and round...DAMN, one of them took my wallet !!! :)

I was examining mine last night. For me it's still the easiest, fastest liner lock I've ever handled. I don't "spine whack" my knives because I don't understand how that simulates the kind of stresses the knife may encounter. Of course that's my HO and I admit I'm still a novice at this. I just can't bring myself to bang a brand new knife until it "fails." It feels great in my hand, has a nice size (feels like I'm wielding a sword, which is good because distance is preferred I believe)
smile.gif

Anyhow I have confidence in it and I think that counts for something. It's the one I carry in the car because I can deploy it so quickly (again a confidence issue). In fact, it's size and weight makes it a great kobutan (?); with my fist wrapped around it and the right punch, I feel there's every possibility I can disuade a bad guy without even opening it. Just some random thoughts. (every post counts toward 100)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Jumbi (edited 13 July 1999).]

Back