Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
[youtube]GbH8naZGKDg[/youtube]

Video speaks for itself please wait until it's done processing

Wow I'm shocked in some ways. I actually laughed when you said te pommell fell off and I seen the photo. I've never liked gerber and this adds to more of me not liking them. Great review! :thumbup:

Video speaks for itself please wait until it's done processing
beta464, thanks for your video review of the updated version :thumbup:, looking forward to more (esp. to see if the pommel breaks off as in earlier version).

Don't feel the need to chat so much to fill space as in desktop reviews (which would be a whole lot shorter if the reviewers kept to salient facts), like you said the video should speak for itself.:cool:

beta464, thanks for your video review of the updated version :thumbup:, looking forward to more (esp. to see if the pommel breaks off as in earlier version).

Don't feel the need to chat so much to fill space as in desktop reviews (which would be a whole lot shorter if the reviewers kept to salient facts), like you said the video should speak for itself.:cool:

Hey man,I'm glad you enjoyed the video and generally in my video reviews I'm very technical and that can make the video either really short or really long depending on how much I have to talk about,take care.

Beta464. I enjoyed the vidio. Last week when I was in the jungle I batonned my BG UK through some pieces of oak that were like sections of telephone pole. Managed to make fuel and kindling pieces. Used bamboo scrapings for tinder. I really had no problems with it, and enjoyed using it.
I started fire daily with it also. just need tinder from higher up in the trees in the jungle, or inner bark so it is dryer. What also took a spark well is the "hand sanitizer" stuff in the little traveling bottles. Its mostly alchohol, (used that trick during my 2 yr contract in Vn recently)

...generally in my video reviews I'm very technical...
Yeah, this is why I'm not a big fan of most "desktop" reviews - way too long, including parroted technical descriptive details which can be looked-up on the manufacturers or distributor websites and are more easily and quickly presented in typed-format: no repeating oneself, no stutters for those who do, no ridiculous hyperbole [my main complaint of many reviewers, yourself not included so far ;)], it's more easily translated into foreign languages, it demonstrates maturity, etc. "Technical" details, imho, are best left as text.

This is all just one user's opinion, of course, and I'm a user not a collector, so feel free to ignore. My favorite videos are more demonstration less description: reviewer shows the knife, names it (including manufacturer and maybe price paid), then demonstrates its capabilities. Brief descriptive statements: empirical ergonomics/comfort-level performing each task, level of effort required to accomplish each task, state of edge/handle/etc. after completion of each task. I felt that this video did a fairly good job, just giving my own humble advice for future use-videos.:thumbup:

Beta464. I enjoyed the vidio. Last week when I was in the jungle I batonned my BG UK through some pieces of oak that were like sections of telephone pole. Managed to make fuel and kindling pieces. Used bamboo scrapings for tinder. I really had no problems with it, and enjoyed using it.
I started fire daily with it also. just need tinder from higher up in the trees in the jungle, or inner bark so it is dryer. What also took a spark well is the "hand sanitizer" stuff in the little traveling bottles. Its mostly alchohol, (used that trick during my 2 yr contract in Vn recently)

Yeah, this is why I'm not a big fan of most "desktop" reviews - way too long, including parroted technical descriptive details which can be looked-up on the manufacturers or distributor websites and are more easily and quickly presented in typed-format: no repeating oneself, no stutters for those who do, no ridiculous hyperbole [my main complaint of many reviewers, yourself not included so far ;)], it's more easily translated into foreign languages, it demonstrates maturity, etc. "Technical" details, imho, are best left as text.

This is all just one user's opinion, of course, and I'm a user not a collector, so feel free to ignore. My favorite videos are more demonstration less description: reviewer shows the knife, names it (including manufacturer and maybe price paid), then demonstrates its capabilities. Brief descriptive statements: empirical ergonomics/comfort-level performing each task, level of effort required to accomplish each task, state of edge/handle/etc. after completion of each task. I felt that this video did a fairly good job, just giving my own humble advice for future use-videos.:thumbup:

@crispianranger I'm glad you enjoyed the video man,I'm also very happy to see Gerber fix the BG Ultimate knife,it's awesome that people can actually use them now instead of just look at them,sounds like you got some good use out of it it sounds like the knife did very well,take care.

@chiral.grolim Personal preference is what it all boils down to in the end,some people enjoy a technical video and some enjoy testing videos and that's why I do both,I'm glad to see your being honest with me,for me I always want to see technical specs on every review but that's just my preference and I can appreciate the test videos,take care.

Surprised that it held but still apprehensive

Even though i havent handled the BG-USK I still think a bk2 would be better. to me a "ultimate" survival knife shouldn't be to light

If I were in a survival situation I would want a blade I can trust and how can i when it's made out of plastic and stainless and weighs as much as a baby fart

I hop someone doesn't die trusting that knife in a real survival situation

Last edited:
Each to his own I guess. The Swedish "Mora" knife as issued to the British Antarctic Survey Teams, Forest Rangers and used by several top survival instructors in the US, is a stainless blade with a plastic handle and weighs next to nothing...The BG UK seems more robust than a Mora to me.

The BG could have learn't a few tricks from how the Swedes make knives. The Mora is inexpensive but uses a decent steel and plastic combo.

If they used orange g10 I would have bought it with that tang

Just to beat the crap out of it for fun and ten give it to my bro

http://greenbeetlegear.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/gbgtang.jpg
courtesy of the greenbeetlegear wordpress survival blog. I don't want to post a link for fear of breaking spam rules but it can be found by googling: greenbeetlegear knife review.

Thanks for the photo :thumbup:
I hope Gerber sufficiently worked out their plastic-issue with that handle. If the handle can't hold the pommel and tang at least as well as the un-pinned mora handles, it's a major flaw.

I just read this ENTIRE thread-- I was thinking about buying this knife. Glad I bought a BK 14. I'll wait until they fix it.

Looks just like my Finnish "puko" .....similer to the Swedish Mora....same neck of the woods as I see this one is made in Norway.

Green Beatle....read your review at greenbeetlegear knife review. Couldn't agree more. I got one of the original BG knives from Amazon and was using it when the reviews started coming in reporting problems. I liked the knife, fits my hand and does what I need it to do. So I got the "Mark II" and am happy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back