• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Gerber camiliion (I wish I could spell today)

it is the Gerber with an axis lock.
it looks pretty neat but I will wait a while once the blade grows about 2 inches more
smile.gif

Since we're talking about it, how did Gerber get to use this name? Wasn't the Chameleon a semi-production done in a couple of variations (including the priciest Zytel knife ever) by Microtech and Butch Vallotton? I'm not real clear on the history of this knife - maybe an auto fan could elucidate. But I am certain the name is already in use.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

The pivot pin is the hole so you can't chop your finger off. Looks like a variation of the bolt lock which seemed to be the fore runner of the axis and rolling locks. Now if Gerber would use better steel and make it bigger it might prove to be something worth looking into IMHO. Gerber used to have a pretty decent product and they need to catch up with the rest of the companies making hi-tech folders.Now if they would throw a bolt lock on the AppleGate and offer it without those serrations "HHHMMM"
Bob

Sorry double post

[This message has been edited by Strider (edited 29 June 1999).]

Razor, I thought the same thing when I first saw it. But the way I understand it the blade pivots AROUND the hole. I've never actually handled one and don't quite understand how this would work but thats what I've read about it.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

Even if the Gerber Chamelion could change colors I still wouldn't buy one. What an Ugly useless knife. Thats Ugly with a capital "U". Pick one up, I think you'll agree. If you do like it then we really have different tastes.

Well, I'd be the first to admit that folks' taste in knives is pretty much like their taste in members of the opposite sex -- everybody's got a particular "look" that they prefer. Same goes for cars, too, now that I think about it...

Razor

Yeah, it looks like a weird pos, but at least it is cheap!

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

"...and it's cheap" is a compliment.

"...at least it's cheap" ain't.

Has anyone ever bought a knife because, hey, at least it's cheap?

I was checking one of these out the other day. Quite a piece of... novel thinking. Yeah, that's what I was gonna say
wink.gif

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

The blade does indeed use the "hole" aka Finger guard/grip assist as the pivot. Actually... with your index finger inserted through the hole it would be next to impossible to cut it, of course you might still want to worry about those other three fingers..... but then isn't that a possibility with all folders? With you finger inserted through the hole your chances of your hand sliding up onto the blade when thrusting into somthing are greatly reduced. I would like to see it in a larger version with a little more blade. It ain't the prettiest think I've seen...But over-all not a bad $25.00 knife.

The handle is actually quite comfortable.
With a little work, the blade takes a very nice edge.
The serrations are exceptionally sharp.
The lock however, doesn't seem as positive as my old bolt action.
You have to give the release button a little extra push to
make it feel secure. It's a novel looking knife, but
I think they have to do some work on the lock-up.
Doc

------------------
"When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep,
like my grandfather did.
Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car."
- Jack Handey -

Back