Gerber center drive

My thought is: It's your money, spend it how you want. It's not my cup of tea, but the last time I checked I'm not you.

My thought is: It's your money, spend it how you want. It's not my cup of tea, but the last time I checked I'm not you.

Exactly, I'd never buy it because its to different from the classic Leatherman or early Gerber formats I'm used to.
( I'm mostly a classic Leatherman format guy, and think my fuse was the perfect update to the classic format ).

However I've heard lots of good things about the center drive, so I don't think you'd be too disappointed.

I say get one. You won't be sorry. Plus it's now offered in black as of recently.

just know there are some reports of broken drivers (too much torsion and torque) and the prybar implement has broken on many Center Drive's users. The carbide cutter (as in all other Gerbers like the MP600, Legend, Urban Legend...) are very prone to shattering and cracking under normal cutting tasks.
But the tool itself seems like a nice attempt to innovate and put out a decent tool in the saturated, flooded market of multitools of today

I've also heard good things about it, especially the blade and the flicking action.

I took a look at one in the store. It was big, but the compliment of tools really left me unimpressed. If it came down in price (even just a temp sale) about 40-50% I'd probably pick one up to check out.

I'm on the fence for one. Largely due to price. I like the idea of the center drive so I hope they continue to evolve the idea.

I have owned many Leatherman and Gerber multitool made in the last ten to 15 years- I just like trying them out and usually sell whatever I don’t like or use. I found the Centerdrive driver to be flimsy on hard or stuck screws- it flexes due to the way it tapers near the pivot. You will not be using this to take out any truly stuck screws. The cutters also let me down- they are more of a shear than a cutter, so they snap metal. I tried cutting some mechanic wire and had to use a lot more force than I figured I would have to. Also, the bit driver magnet isn’t as strong as I thought and I lost a few bits. The knife is a nice size , but I think I’d take an OHT by Leatherman and just bring a 4 in one dedicated screwdriver if that’s what I needed. I paid full shot at Dicks sporting goods for like 120 because I had a gift card. It was worth to me maybe in the 65 dollar range max. It also has a very awkward shape to the pliers - hard to explain until you actually handle them. I sold the centerdrive for quite a loss but I don’t miss it. I’d spend money on something else if I were you.

Back