Gerber Covert Opinions

I just picked up a covert (double-edge saber) on Friday. I have wanted this knife for a while and just found it on Friday. I have to admit to some mixed thoughts about this knife. The opening seems to be somewhat awkward (this may be partially due to the fact that I have been a Spyderco man when it comes to one-handed openers - almost exclusively). The best way to open it appears to be to push the blade partially open (past the liner detente) and then flick it fully open. Thumbing it fully open seems to be quite awkward. This may improve as the action breaks in.
On the plus side, it appears to be very sturdy and the lockup extremely secure. Because of this, it will probably become my weekend carry knife - able to handle the heavier outside use.
I would love to hear other people's opinions on this knife.

p_a: I have (had? I haven't seen it for more than a month now) a single-edge first-generation covert that I like a lot. Interestingly, for me it has been the smoothest-opening folder I've ever owned, it literally "flicks to life" with no effort. You seem to a different experience - maybe try loosening the pivot screw a touch, it could help. Also, I really like the fact that, for me, once the opening motion is complete the knife is immediately in the "ready" position in my hand, whereas with many folders I open them THEN establish a secure grip. The covert has a very comfortable handle, too, IMHO. My only beefs would be (1) this is not a CQC7, the covert is not a pry-bar and does not have a very sturdy blade (2) the tip of the single-edge version seems a little frail. But for the most part I love this knife.

------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

The Covert is one of the first linerlocks I picked up. I like it. My is a smooth opener. A cop friend looked at it and thought it was illegal because it looked like a dagger with the false top edge. (He was/is wrong.) Anyway, I thought, Heck!, I sharpened the false edge. It really is a dagger now and illegal to carry. It stays home.

I haven't gotten around to buying another Covert, with the flat grind. I like the safety for the lock lock -- the new one that is on top of the handle.

sing

I have the double-bevel Covert and like it a lot. The opening is very smoot when you do it the right way. The blade is opened by pushing straight forward from behing the knob in the blade. If your finger rides in top of the knob (like mine during the first openings) it does not open that easily. Ossi

I like the looks of this knife and the only reasonI I haven't considered getting one is the fact that they don't come without serrations. When they first came out I figured they would have a straight edge sooner or later but it doesn't seem like it is going to happen.
Bob

Strider, have you ever had a knife with partial serrations? I know most people either love serrations or hate them. I used to be in the latter group (would never buy a blade with serrations) until I got my Endura with the combo-edge. While I don't think I would ever buy a fully serrated edge (for anything other than a kitchen bread knife); the combination of plain and serrations does offer some advantages. It seems to be a good compromise: you have the smooth edge for most cutting jobs and the serrations when you need to go thru some tough fibrous material. I know the die-hard antiserrationists (cool word huh - just made it up) will argue that a properly sharpened plain edge will slice thru anything as well as a serrated edge. I haven't found this to be quite true - the best argument I can give to support this is - if plain edges can cut anything, why do saw blades have teeth?
If you have never tried a serrated blade - try a combination edge - you will either like it or it will prove your earlier thoughts correct.

Phone Archer
I have a few serrated knives. I keep a cheap ball lock Fury at work to cut bagels with. I have a Shrade Cliphanger with part serations (IMHO is the worst designed and weakest liner lock I have ever seen) I use that for really nasty cutting chores outside when I don't care also my wife uses it for gardening. There is a serrated edge on my Gerber Multi tool knife that is great for cutting plastic tubing etc. I guess I have all the serrated knives I either want or need.For a personel carrier whether a folder or fixed I would only go with a straight edge. Thats me it's what I like.With all the other companies offering an option between the two styles of blade it doesn't make sense to me that Gerber has not also.
Bob

Strider, I agree totally. I too have knives that I would never want in anything other than plain-edge. I guess I didn't consider this point when choosing the covert as its intended use was for heavier outside work where, for me, the serrations make sense. You're right, Gerber missed the boat by not offering the option of plain-edge. I guess companies have to balance adding SKU's against potential added sales. Gerber obviously decided to offer different grinds (flat vs saber) instead of different edges.

Bill (my real name by the way)

Cool knife, I also wouldn't get one because of the semi-serrated blade. One more thing...what's with the WIERD clip?

Gee guys, I don't know you might want to check with the ultimate "tactical" knife authority before picking up this knife.
Who am I referring to you might ask, why none other than Mr. Lynn Thompson at Cold Steel.
Seriously, I just read an article he wrote comparing his 4" voyager to the covert and could not stop laughing.
Ok I will agree he makes a good strong folder but give me a break. You have to read it to believe it adn I don't want to start a flame war as overall I like his products.
I just have to say they went a little over the edge trying to make a point.
I am not a fan of Gerber and like Buck knives I usually avoid them like the plague but I thought this was a bit unwarranted.
Who are they trying to convince with their long-winded and somewhat humorous claims.
AS I said from the outset, I like Cold Steel products and have some of their knives in spite of their advertising not because of it.

JMHO and another 0.02 to the pot.

------------------
God bless!

Romans 10:9-10

"Military" Fans Unite!!

Thanks, Fishface. I loosened the pivot a tiny bit and it helped. As well I flushed out the factory lube (some kind of grease) with WD40 and relubed it with Rem oil. It is now much slicker.

Ossi, you are right about pushing the stud with your finger rather having you thumb "ride" on top of it (the included instructions, which I finally read, say the same thing). But I am still not sure I like this method, it seems to offer less control over the blade than having you thumb ride in a hole or on a stud. If I ever have to use this knife in a defensive way (adrenal pumping, fight-or-flight reflex happening), I am concerned that I may fumble the opening.
I'll have to wait and see how my opinion of this knife evolves over time.

As an aside, this is the first knife I've ever had, that I couldn't decide whether I hated it or loved it.

------------------
Bill (Yes, we carry knives in Canada - we need them to fight off the polar bears and militant Eskimos ;) )

I have had several Gerber Covert Folders, all single edged, all of the original design. I usually carry one for some time until I run across a left handed friend, and end up giving it to him/her.

The ergonomics make absolutely perfect sense for a left hand user. I carry mine in my L front pocket for use with my weak hand.

The ergonomics are so terrible for right handed use, I cannot but think that somewhere there is a left handed engineer with a smile on his face, even though he no longer works at Gerber.

Try it out; you will instantly realize that this is a left handed knife, although it was not marketed as such. Walt

I have the current production Covert, I am right handed and the knifes ergonomics are excellent for me for right hand use. To be able to use the Covert smoothly with left hand also I changed the metal clip to the opposite side (requires a really small torx).

I wonder if Gerber has changed the Covert ergonomics somehow since many Covert owners say it is left handed, and my Covert purchased about a month ago surely came right handed?

Ossi

Walt and Ossi, I believe the original production run had the clip on the opposite side (std left-hand) of where it is now (std right-hand). This was to allow for the original liner-lock safety, which was a sliding button on the right side (as you look down on the knife). When they started producing the knife with the safety on the top, they were able to move the clip back to std right-hand position. I may be wrong on on this as I have only seen one example of the original (and that was around a year ago and only handled it for a few seconds).

------------------
Bill (Yes, we carry knives in Canada - we need them to fight off the polar bears and militant Eskimos ;) )

I have a Covert and am rather fond of it. I carry it either in the left pants pocket or in a sheath from a SOG Tomcat that I got rid of. Either way, the knife works great for me, right of left handed. Mine is the double ground version,BTW. Later

------------------
Yes it's sharp!!!! Now go get the first-aid kit!!!

Back