Gerber Custom Multitool (Fiskars' BYO)

Forgive me if this is redundant to someone else's post, but I remember everyone talking about the new "Build Your Own" Multitool program that Gerber has out (http://byo.gerberblades.com), but I didn't see anyone actualy commenting on the tools themselves (or the whole process of getting one).
I went ahead and ordered a Canary Yellow Needlenose w/ packages P1 and P2 (all black), choosing yellow because I thought it would be the easiest to see in low-light and the black just because I like it
smile.gif
Anyway, I ordered it on Halloween and received it in the mail today. One minor note--since I ordered mine, the "wine" color they have has changed to a nice looking red, which would probably be my first choice next time around <sigh>.
On to the tool itself: the first surprise was that the tool is not anodized, but powder-coated. For me, this was a little disappointing, as the pictures on the web site looked a *lot* like anodized (to me), but oh well. The powder coat seems baked on there pretty well, and will hopefully be as durable (I don't actually know if *all* colors are painted, or just yellow). The needle nose jaws are, as pointed out by others, not true needlenose, but more of a cross between needle and blunt. It's fine for me, and it seems incredibly stout. The much heralded "flicking" action works like a charm, and the saw coupler feature (of which I was both very curious and somewhat skeptical), although not super-tight, works well enough and I'm amazed no one thought of this before.
I work in pro-sound part time, and having a decent multitool is instrumental to pulling off most shows (and thereby staying employed). I've gone through a number of previous tools--I destroyed the jaws of a Leatherman PST and a PST II on two separate occasions, so I knew I needed something heavier-duty, but the Super Tool was always a little too heavy/cumbersome for me. The Wave seemed kinda fragile, along the lines of a PST II. I've succesfully used a SOG Paratool for the past couple of months, but I got tired of bashing my fingers into the amplifier racks when the philips bit decided to fold under duress. So the big question for me was, would the Gerber be light & tough enough to carry. So far the answer is YES. On the hip, it actually feels about as light as the Paratool or a Leatherman, even though it is a bit heavier than both.
As to the tool combination I picked, I knew I needed a philips bit, the saw coupler, a file, a knife blade and scissors...I really like the P1/P2 combination so far, except I also got the bit kit, which makes the mini flat screwdriver a little redundant. Otherwise it's an excellent combo (for me).
My only real concerns are: the locking bar only uses one spring to secure the bar in place, I would have liked redundant springs (although this is minor); and that the pliers only touch at the very tip--this seems very common on multitools, but still, I always hope for the perfect alignment.
So, all in all, it's pricey, but for the unmistakable pleasure of designing it yourself, not to mention (for now) unique styling (read: color), I think it's worth it. We'll see how long it lasts...
-vikram
p.s. Sorry for the extrememly long post, just trying to be thorough.

Thanks for the review! Been thinking of complementing my Wave with one of those.

I can't tell what colour their "Wine" is -- looks more like red-orange. Used to look more like maroon. I liked that one better -- matched my truck.

I like the U1/S2 combination, Still an option with no knife blades would be cool I think (I know it is sacriledge, but it would be easier to get on a plane with one...)

Still, a bit salty...

Hmmm...

Joe Talmadge: Did you ever order one?

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847
Indianapolis, IN (but still a true-blooded Tennesseean!)

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by CD Fleischer (edited 17 November 1999).]

I've been wavering on ordering one. I found that I like the standard (non-custom) tool options just fine on the 600 Deluxe, and you can get it at a deep discount instead of paying retail. The colors are cool, but since I'd probably go with the standard Deluxe tool selection, it's probably not worth the extra $30 to me for colored handles.

Joe

Yeah, but the Deluxe has a half-serrated knife blade. Ugh!
wink.gif

I would like to see the 400 series offered with the same BYO options, as the current 400 only has a half-serrated blade and lacks a file (which is, for me, the tool I use most, every day it seems.

Even at this expense, I still like the idea of semi-customizeable tools and knives. Hope this trend continues.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Mahatma Gandhi

Vikram -- can you scan or take a digital pic of yours? I would love to see a real pic.

Thanks

I went ahead and scanned in a couple, you can see the results at http://www.ahcsnet.com/vikram/gerber
btw, that weird looking thing on the left (in the splayed open picture) is the stock Rem-Grit jigsaw blade in its coupler--I'm still trying to decide what kind of blade I want to replace it with (although I haven't really tried the Rem-Grit one, but it doesn't seem like it could cut metal or wood as effectively as a dedicated blade could).

(Hoping the UBB code auto-linked the URL.)

-vikram

Great scans, thanx. I liked the rest of your site too.

I think that the Phillips drivers are different on different packages. They look shorter on the U2 and W2 but longer on the S2, P2, and T2. The longer ones also look skeletonized.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Mahatma Gandhi

Interesting tidbit I got from Gerber in response to an email I sent:

Thank you for contacting Gerber Legendary Blades. The color displayed on
the site has been changed to more fully reflect the true color of the
item. This product was received with the redder color, all others were
approximately as shown.
Sincerely,
Gerber Blades Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 1:39 PM
To: GB1/GERBER01/LAURI
Subject: BYO Multi-Plier

<< File: UUCP_ENV.TXT >>
Hi,

It looks like the Wine colour has changed on your Website? Is this the
case?
It
used to look more maroon and now looks more orange-red? Which is more
true? Do
you have any other scans?

Thanks!

Clay

Regarding the philips bit size, I think they are all the same...in a way I hope so, since I got the P2 kit, and if that's the longer one we're in trouble!
smile.gif

I *think* the skeletonizing is just the result of their scanning job, or else maybe it's on the other packages but not P.
-vikram

I have had 2 Multi-Pliers, a Multi-Lock and Multi-Lite. The latter 2 have skeletonized phillips and the former two didn't. Don't know if there is any reall length difference.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Mahatma Gandhi

Back