• STOP USING PAYPAL FRIENDS & FAMILY
    Please, help us prevent you getting ripped off because someone got their account compromised by reusing their email & password. Read the new best practices for using the Exchange FAQ page.

Gerber Fatty, or Carl's Crummy Knife Report #2

A lot of people have mentioned that the Fatty looks cool, but were not sure they wanted to actually buy it. I felt the same way. It's a neat design, but it's also a cheap imported Gerber. Well, let me remove that indecision for you.

Remember that the Fatty sells for the same price as a Byrd, which even a criticizing grouch like me can love.

Thus, I give you Gerber's fine cutlery:

That sure is a crappy knife. More like a one-dollar knife from the flea market.

How's the blade play?

-Bob

p.s. I would write a letter to Gerber and ask why their products are now junk.

Thanks for the warning. Good documentation.

I heard that there are one or two Gerber models that are still pretty good. Apparently this is not one of them.

I have a Gerber Fatty lying around and it is a cheap knife for sure.

The blade does not close all the way even if you push down on it, the tip of my blade sticks out past the grip just a tad.

As far as blade play goes, well..that's just about the only good thing i can say from my experience with the knife..it has hardly any play side-to-side and front-to-back has a little play but not much at all...

But it is a $12 knife so you should not expect much, but either way if you want a reliable knife at a low cost, I would look elsewhere.

hmm, that's at least three positive comments on the lock-up of this knife i have read. Might have to get me one, hopefully the blade will keep itself shut without me having to do some mods.

But it is a $12 knife so you should not expect much, but either way if you want a reliable knife at a low cost, I would look elsewhere.

The Knifecenter has it for $21.95, as do a lot of stores, although I got it for $10 from bladematrix.

But I have seen better stuff from Schrade's Irish factory for $5.

Back