Gerber Guardian info needed

I have a Guardian II that I was given as a gift. It has a camo handle, and matte black blade. It was supposedly a Vietnam carry knife; the serial # is 87825s. Can anyone out there tell me any info about it, value, age, etc? I would be most grateful.

I am sure you will get more definitive answers.....but : I don't think the Guardian II came on the market until the early 80s.
Nor the original Guardian.

But, I do look forward to more knowledgeable posts.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343
Money : spend it before it's all gone

Pardon the double post, but I get all screwed up whenever I try editing a post that has HTML attached....
Brian, I believe that you're thinking of the Guardian Backup, that small (3.5 inch blade?), double edged boot knife. That came out in the early 80's.
The Guardian was around during the Vietnam War, though. If I remember correctly, many of the knives were returned to the maker due to the bent shape of the blade. Nobody realized that the bend was intentional. Something about being the right shape for silent sentry killing. Gerber then came out with another version that was basically the same, but with a straight blade. Afterwards, they re-introduced the bent blade.
I'm waiting for more edumacated folks too!
wink.gif

VG

------------------
Vampire Gerbil: similar to a domestic gerbil, except for the odd accent and little black cape.

VG
I know the knife you refer to....the Gerber "Mk2 Survival". Popular in the Viet Nam War. But, as far as I know, it was not called "Guardian"
The small one (Guardian Backup) by Loveless was much later (mine is early 80s) and was followed (in the mid 80s) by (I think) the "Guardian Mk2" which was similar to the "Mk2 Survival". The Guardian Mk2 did come in an optional camo format.
to complicate things further, the Mk 1 Survival also came out in the early 80s (AFTER the Mk2 Survival) It's design was, I believe, incorrectly attributed to Al Mar who worked for Gerber at the time.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

BTW, I believe the "bent" handle on the Mk2 was ,simply, to make it sit closer to the wearer's body when carried in the sheath.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

There was a lot of discussion concerning the angled blade issue.

Some said that the blade was angled in order to better reach the heart when stabbed in an upward motion at the solor plexus.

I have always felt that this was a better explanation than the carry profile issue.

Thomas Zinn

[This message has been edited by tzinn1348 (edited 29 September 1999).]

Vrian,
See what happens when I try to think after 2:00 am?
wink.gif

I was speaking based upon the pictures I was viewing at Gerber's site. I mistakenly called their "Mk II", the "GUARDIAN Mk II".

I think we're all a bit right and a bit wrong, and think that the only definitive source would be www.gerberblades.com

I fugure they must have plenty of time on their hands sice they do not spend any time HERE!
smile.gif

Yeah.....I have heard the one about the angled blade and upward thrusts.
Considering that it is a double edged knife with a symmetrical handle profile, in the heat of hand to hand difference of opinion, there is every chance the blade is going to be wrongly aligned (ie, the offset is going to be downwards).
If there was a real advantage in an angled blade, there is a similar disadvantage if the incorrect alignment is selected .
A strike from under the ribcage with a straight blade should, automatically be at a sufficient upward angle for the purpose, anyway.
Frankly, the theory is about as good as the one about blood grooves.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

Back