Gerber LHR ( Larsen, Harsey, Reeve )

This looks a lot like Reeve's Pacific. I'd like to have that lower guard shortened just a tad.

Hey Mist, how 'bout an epic, head-to-head budget combat knives face off: CRKT Ultima vs. Gerber's LHR? :wink:

Isn't 420 often used for dive knives because of the high resistance to rust? Would the LHR make a good Dive Knife?

I dont care for serrations but those large scallop ones looks nice

I like that and that the edge stops at the serrations so you don't have edge to sharpen on both sides of the serrations.

This looks a lot like Reeve's Pacific. I'd like to have that lower guard shortened just a tad.

Hey Mist, how 'bout an epic, head-to-head budget combat knives face off: CRKT Ultima vs. Gerber's LHR? :wink:

This one found it's home a while back.

Isn't 420 often used for dive knives because of the high resistance to rust? Would the LHR make a good Dive Knife?

Well, it may be a little long for some people's tastes, but I'm pretty sure it was made with salt water in mind.

I like the look of this knife and just may get one but I have a few observations:

1) if you mount it on your vest and intend to draw it in the reverse grip it looks like it'll be impossible
2) looks like it could take some nice G10 scales easily enough
3) Not a serration fan but its not a deal breaker.

I like the look of this knife and just may get one but I have a few observations:

1) if you mount it on your vest and intend to draw it in the reverse grip it looks like it'll be impossible
2) looks like it could take some nice G10 scales easily enough
3) Not a serration fan but its not a deal breaker.

Seldom use the word impossible, but it would at best be difficult, uncomfortable, and slow...

Oh, I'm sure new scales wouldn't bee much of a problem.

These definitely aren't the worst I've seen, and they cut well.

Good looking knife and great photos, Mist. Your writeups are always top-notch.

A carbon steel version would be awesome!

I like it! I remember reading about this one when it was first released, but haven't heard much about it since then. I think a lot of folks are getting a little confused on the 420 issue. 420HC is very respectable stuff. No one complains about how Buck uses it as their standard steel. 420J is the stuff that tends to be used in low-end pieces or dive knives, and is less desirable. Usually when a knife simply says "400 series stainless" or "420 stainless" they mean it's 420J. 420HC is usually referred to by name as it's pretty good stuff.

Looks like a very versatile knife--I wouldn't consider it strictly a fighter at all. I'm willing to bet that if you dropped a guy in the woods with a basic kit and that knife he'd be able to get along with it just fine. :thumbup:

Good looking knife and great photos, Mist. Your writeups are always top-notch.

A carbon steel version would be awesome!

Thank you very much. Well, it is a hi-carbon stainless, not as tough maybe but better corrosion resistance, which is a consideration with a tactical/survival knife.

Looks like a very versatile knife--I wouldn't consider it strictly a fighter at all. I'm willing to bet that if you dropped a guy in the woods with a basic kit and that knife he'd be able to get along with it just fine. :thumbup:

I agree, I think so too.

Thank you very much. Well, it is a hi-carbon stainless, not as tough maybe but better corrosion resistance, which is a consideration with a tactical/survival knife.

True. I'm biased. I like high-carbon, non-stainless steels for my big knives. :D Still, it looks good and effective in multiple roles. Good knife.

True. I'm biased. I like high-carbon, non-stainless steels for my big knives. :D Still, it looks good and effective in multiple roles. Good knife.

Yeah, I understand, I rather like 5160 for larger knives myself :) I still think it will serve well for the intended purpose though :D

Just bought one... the more I looked at it, the more it became a must-have. Can't dispute the makers involved in its creation, and I've had great results with both Gerber and Buck's 420HC steel.

It looks like a pretty knife and the ergos look good too. It would be nice to see how this holds up in the long run. It's been a while since Gerber put out something nice that's made in USA. I still use my BMF and it has held up nicely. How is your BMF doing mistwalker?

It looks like a pretty knife and the ergos look good too. It would be nice to see how this holds up in the long run. It's been a while since Gerber put out something nice that's made in USA. I still use my BMF and it has held up nicely. How is your BMF doing mistwalker?

I know what you mean, there is no telling how many times I've wished I had any one of my old BMF, original LMF, MK-Is, MK-IIs, or early Guardians back. The one BMF I had has been gone since the late 80s, sadly, but the newer LMF I had most recently and is in some of my earlier posts found a new home with a friend a couple of years ago, it's still alive and kicking though :thumbup:

I almost bought an old BMF at Blade back in June, but for the same money I bought 2 nice customs by makers I admire. Maybe next year...

Well, I got an LHR for Christmas. It's a very nice knife. The leg-drop sheath is really impressive, and the feel and balance of the knife are very impressive. I own the Christ Reeve Pacific and the Warrior (both in s35vn), so that's what I'm basically using for a comparison.

The ruberized, "tac-hide" handle feels good, but it's different from the micarta on the CRKs... and though I think the micarta feels better, the rubber is nice and seems more durable. Also, the "tac-hide" seems like it would work better in a wet environment. All things considered, I really think the Gerber LHR would make an excellent "Over The Beach" knife. The retention system on the sheath is really great, and the whole set up would work well in the water (no worries about the knife getting loose underwater)... it's also Molle compatible, but the retention system limits where you might place it because getting the knife out is a little tricky from certain angles.

Regarding the arguments concerning 420HC steel, there's no doubt in my mind about this knife's durability: it's a thick blade. Honestly, if I were going down range, I would grab this knife before my other 2 CRKs... it's cheaper to replace and it seems like it might even hold up better in amphibious conditions... So, if you were an Army Officer going to Afghanistan and you wanted to impress people with the knife hanging from your LBV, the CRK would be great. If you were an Infantryman, a paratropper, a Ranger, or a Marine and you thought you might actually get wet, or be in places where you need to use your knife and it might get damaged, you might prefer the Gerber LHR: cause it's tough and you can buy three of them for the price of that CRK Pacific/Warrior/Green Beret knife.

Honestly, I have no doubts in the ability of the LHR. It's very well designed, well built, and reminds me of what Gerber used to be, which is saying something. Knives with great "Super Steel" are often so expensive that I'm reluctant to really use them in the field. This knife is tough, but cheap enough that I have full confidence in it, and I'm not "wallet-scared" to actually use it.

440C if done right is an improvement over 420HC from edge holding perspective. However, not owning any large fixed blade, I don't know the impact toughness factor.

Can this particular knife be sheathed securely with a cordwrap job on it sans original handle material with included sheath?

Last edited:
I'm necro bumping this thread vs starting a new one. I hope that's kosher. I'm a tour/answer guy at the UDT-SEAL Museum and noticed this knife in the gift shop covered in dust hiding on a bottom shelf. Went home and did a little research and found this thread. With my discount and such, I decided it was worth the purchase as i don't have a big fixed knife like this. Mine says 440HC, which is a tad confusing. I assume it's 440C which they went to from 420HC. Maybe Gerber used something with a tad more carbon they named HC or it's a typo? No clue. Anyway, I'd like to here from the OP how the knife had done over the years since posting. Most of what I read various places, are very favorable to this knife for it's intended use and price point. I like the idea of a combat oriented knife that can double as a survival/SHTF knife as needed even of more optimized for the former. The sheath is very high quality and well thought out, but I wish it could be configured to carry using other methods. It's a nice enough knife to possibly warrant having another sheath made for it, but not sure yet. I have not used the knife for anything that would be considered legit testing for such a knife.

Back