Gerber - LMF 2 - Crap Machine

Hello All,

I was out testing my Gerber LMF 2 when I hit the handle on a tree and became very disappointed. The blade still feels solid but I know this is not a full tang design, some kinda "screw job" about half way down the handle. Anyways, you guys think I should worry about this? Please look at the pictures..

Link: http://imgur.com/a/cp4wk

That's a pretty insulting thread-title :thumbdn:

So you were throwing a plastic-handled knife at a tree and became disappointed by your poor technique? Or you were hammering on the FRN+rubber and were disappointed by your ignorance of what could happen? How does this make the Gerber a "crap machine" ? :foot:

Here is a pic from Gerber's website high-lighting the deliberate separation of tang from pommel:

LMF-II-tang.png_fulljpg.jpg

As you can see, the tang of the Gerber extends >3/4 the length of the handle and is fixed in place by notches as well as a screw at the end. The heavy hammer/spike pommel is isolated from the tang to prevent channeling electric current should the knife be used for severing power-lines/cables, something it was designed to be able to do.

The handle itself is made from fiber-glass reinforced nylon (i.e. FRN) with a rubber overmold to insulate the user and reduce noise. The downside of this is that neither the rubber nor the FRN is as durable as solid metal or G10 or micarta and can be damaged by heavy impacts more easily than the aforementioned materials. Smashing FRN with a hammer or block of wood (or throwing) is likely to result in damage.

That said, the LMFII can endure a LOT of abuse before failure, as epitomized in Noss' destruction test of the knife many years ago, here is a link to part1 of that test, you can find the remaining parts on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKrGPjxWMiY

Regarding your cracking the FRN around the guard, that has nothing to do with the tang design at all, not sure why you brought it up :confused: You could certainly try gluing it together if it bothers you. You can also contact Gerber's customer service department: http://www.gerbergear.com/Meet-Gerber/Contact-Us/Customer-Service
Gerber offers a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials. Your situation is probably not covered since it sounds like you misused your knife, but they may cover you anyway, doesn't hurt to ask.

In the future, if you are going to beat on a knife, understand its probable limitations first so you pick the right tool for the job. Knives are tools, they are not indestructable, and a little knowledge of what they can and cannot be expected to endure will go a long way to your satisfaction.

Oh, and please don't go blaming the design or the manufacturer for your mistakes. THAT will go a long way in earning respect from others. Thank you.

That's a pretty insulting thread-title :thumbdn:

So you were throwing a plastic-handled knife at a tree and became disappointed by your poor technique? Or you were hammering on the FRN+rubber and were disappointed by your ignorance of what could happen? How does this make the Gerber a "crap machine" ? :foot:

Here is a pic from Gerber's website high-lighting the deliberate separation of tang from pommel:

LMF-II-tang.png_fulljpg.jpg

I doubt the hammering bit, throwing would be more likely. They can take a good bit of abuse doing in-line impacts with the pommel.Their biggest weakness is lateral stress at that separation. It was a trade off of losing some strength to achieve both electrical insulation and a striking pommel as per the request of the Air Force when seeking to have such a knife made. They also don't do well with impacts to the handle against hard surfaces.

Not a huge fan of the LMF 2. I liked the original LMF and BMF I had back in the mid 80s. But the LMF-2 was designed as an ASEK or (Aircrew Survival & Egress Knife) It was purpose-designed with a very specific set of tasks in mind. Breaking Plexiglas with the pommel to get out of a downed air craft, cut through sheet metal and wires, and perform what few knife tasks an airman may need to do in the 72 or less hours until his rescue. Ot was not designed to be a be-all-do-all indestructible knife. Damaged knives could be replaced when the pilot got back to the rear.

Lol, this reminds me of that time the guy tested Brent Beshara's Besh Wedge as a bushcraft knife, then complained about how poorly it performed as one :D

If you want a super tough knife in that size range, check out the Zero Tolerance 0180. It will cost more than three times as much as your LMF2, but it will take much, much more abuse.

I just bought one of these and started using it yesterday. I noticed that where the blade goes into handle it looks like it's two pieces were molded together and coming apart.
I can actually open the gap by hand when putting pressure on handle and blade. It just makes me think that it's going to come apart, I don't know if it will but that's how I feel. Done buggered up the grip some too. I have the Bear Grylls USK and love it, I have pounded it, battoned it and it hasn't even broke loose (I prefer my LTW Genesis thought).
I will prolly send it back and put that money towards another LT or similar.

I doubt the hammering bit, throwing would be more likely. They can take a good bit of abuse doing in-line impacts with the pommel.Their biggest weakness is lateral stress at that separation. It was a trade off of losing some strength to achieve both electrical insulation and a striking pommel as per the request of the Air Force when seeking to have such a knife made. They also don't do well with impacts to the handle against hard surfaces.

Not a huge fan of the LMF 2. I liked the original LMF and BMF I had back in the mid 80s. But the LMF-2 was designed as an ASEK or (Aircrew Survival & Egress Knife) It was purpose-designed with a very specific set of tasks in mind. Breaking Plexiglas with the pommel to get out of a downed air craft, cut through sheet metal and wires, and perform what few knife tasks an airman may need to do in the 72 or less hours until his rescue. Ot was not designed to be a be-all-do-all indestructible knife. Damaged knives could be replaced when the pilot got back to the rear.

Lol, this reminds me of that time the guy tested Brent Beshara's Besh Wedge as a bushcraft knife, then complained about how poorly it performed as one :D

This is a perfect summation of the knife.

I just bought one of these and started using it yesterday. I noticed that where the blade goes into handle it looks like it's two pieces were molded together and coming apart.
I can actually open the gap by hand when putting pressure on handle and blade. It just makes me think that it's going to come apart, I don't know if it will but that's how I feel. Done buggered up the grip some too. I have the Bear Grylls USK and love it, I have pounded it, battoned it and it hasn't even broke loose (I prefer my LTW Genesis thought).
I will prolly send it back and put that money towards another LT or similar.

Get a refund. Buy a knife more up to your desired tasks and expectations.

I was not intending to participate in that thread but today in my yard I was trying to repair a water system for the garden. My today EDC, a Kershaw Knockout, found some difficulties to cut a plastic water pipe (heavy duty plastic pipe, diameter = 0.5”). I used my old LFF-2 which cut the pipe like (approx.) butter….
So that was the “ignition” to me, to write something in the current thread.
What I want to say is that I am very satisfied with that knife.
I have bought that 6 years ago and it has been used in some hiking excursions. I has been used for chopping, batoning and ALL the other (camping) activities. Without any problem…
Of course it is heavy for hiking, BUT it cuts…
It cuts, it cuts very well, according to my humble opinion, while other much more expensive and with “greater reputation” knives like my Fallkniven S1 cannot…
My remark is referring to one of the general knife duties: to cut efficiently (amongst other duties).
I have to add that the S1 has been sent to the manufacturer in Sweden with some remarks and complains and they returned it back. They sharpened it again a little (according to their sayings) but still it cannot cut like the LMF-2.
Now the LMF-2 remains in home (for home, back yard duties) because has been replaced in my back pack by the Gerber Strongarm. The latter is a lighter and more practical tool which also cuts very well.
The Strongarm accompanies my TOPS BOB in my back pack which is still, after 3 years of extensive usage, superb…, absolutely practical, functional, reliable and so on…. (cutting efficiently - without any sharpening attempt - like a dream).

I have never heard of a knife referred to as a machine. You learn something new every day.

All we know that the knife is an ancient tool, a primitive "simple machine", which is continuing to contribute to his owner efforts in specific fields and activities, in everyday life.
The problem is that some of them are better than the others, of course...
Another problem is that many times the promotional and marketing departments of many companies are working very well trying to persuade us that their products are the best of all.
Sometimes, though, we are discovering that some super-promoted products are not so superior comparing to others, much more cheaper.
And of course what is remaining to us is to have a clear view of these products.
Is the tool efficient and functional? If yes, then this tool is good... enough...
If not, we can leave it for somebody else...

The life has to be simple...

Back