Gerber Parabellum

I have a Gerber Parabellum that I have been considering offering FS/FT. However, before I do so I'd like to be able get some idea of its value. I've tried several searches (here, Web search engines, newsgroups, KnifeForums, eBay, A.G. Russell's Cutting Edge, dealers, etc.) without any success.

Does anyone know the approximate value of this piece? Also, is there a good online source of knife values? Thanks.

------------------
--+Brian+--

The PB was a HELL of a good knife, arguably the "first megafolder". WAY, way ahead of it's time, had a strong lock to rival even a REKAT. "Only" a 4" blade but FAT and thick. Doesn't have a thumbstud or similar, it predates the Spyderhole but it doesn't need it, there's so much blade there to push it opens right up.

If you've got the original sheath that allowed carry either open as a fixed blade or closed as a folder and the sheath's still in good shape (they were canvas, subject to wear) it's worth...well...what somebody'll pay. It's a GREAT knife though. Try doing a 4sale ad with "best offer". I saw a new one at a gun shop that probably didn't know what they had marked $50 and somebody snatched it quick. You might get a minor bidding war...

Jim March

Thanks for your note & your suggestion, Jim. Gee, if you were any more enthusiastic, people could think that you're acting as my shill.
wink.gif
I may do as you suggest regarding the "best offer" 4sale ad -- just have to think about it a bit first.

BTW -- to whet appetites a bit -- I do have the original sheath & it was barely used. I also have a custom-fitted, black, leather belt sheath (my own creation) that, IMHO, allows for a more comfortable carry.

------------------
--+Brian+--

brian
how about a trade ?
Maybe a Benchmark Rolox with sheephorn handles ?
Larger model....forget the name.
The Para is one of those knives I wish I had bought back when....

Come to think of it......so was the Rolox
smile.gif
-

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

My opinions are based on information available to me. Don't attack my opinions....give me more information.

Brian -- Sounds interesting. If I do decide to let it go, I'll make it a "best offer" for sale or trade ad.

------------------
--+Brian+--

So indeed it seems as I missed a good deal... I had a chance to buy a new PB for about $50 half a year ago, but I didn't take it. Thought It looked a bit too ungainly. I have never handled one, though.

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

Jim,

I've heard about the strong lock in the Parabellum, and heard it's something like an Axis lock. Can you describe it (the lock) in more detail? Thanks!

Joe

The lock...well...thing is, it's very "enclosed" so it's hard to sort out. It *appears* to actually BE the AXIS or a very close relative, the lock release works the same way but it's only on one side (set up for right-hand use). Instead of a round button it's a knurled slide lever.

It's a flat-ground blade based on a REAL thick stock for a folder. Very "fat" with a deep belly and I think the steel was 440C.

Jim March

My memory may be faulty (it is a long time since I handled one) but I think it was a Blackie Collins Bolt Action. similar to the one I described in the Gerber Chameleon thread, last week.
The Bolt Action was very strong. The only doubt I have is that it seems to depend on the shear strength of the handle material (Zytel ?)
But my old Gerber Bolt Action has done some pretty heavy-duty work without failure.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

My opinions are based on information available to me. Don't attack my opinions....give me more information.

Brian E. did a great job of describing the bolt action so, for everyone's convenience, I'm quoting it here:

"...Blackie Collins "Bolt Action"... there is a sliding button on the handle. It is attached to a rod that rides in a channel in the spine of the handle. A spring forces the rod or "bolt" forward to mate with a cutout on the top of the tang preventing the blade from closing. Slide it back and the blade unlocks. Like a door-bolt."

The shear strength of the handle material should not be an issue on the Parabellum. Since the action is largely enclosed it is difficult to see exactly what is happening. However, there appears to be nearly 1/2" thickness of handle material on top of the locking bolt at the point at where it engages the tang.

I thought it deserved a better picture than what I had before...

Parabellum-1.JPG

The new pic over in the FS/FT forum includes the piece as well as both the original & custom belt sheaths.

------------------
--+Brian+--

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 08 February 1999).]

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 10 February 1999).]

Thanks, Brian.
I was not, really , concerned about shear strength. I am, just, reluctant to give totally unprovisional approval for anything devised by Man
smile.gif

My old Bolt Action was subjected to some pretty hard use and locks up just a firmly today as it did more than 10 years ago.
I recall using it to cut up industrial carpet ruined by floodwaters. The carpet was still waterlogged and covered in gritty silt. The office was a huge open-plan room and it was necessary to cut the stuff up into manageable pieces so it could be removed. Needless to say, the knife needed a full edge job when I had finished.
I really was expecting to have to junk it and was suprised that it survived.

Yeah...I was the only one of about eight adult males who had a knife.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

Hey Brian,
Are you and Jim March in cahoots to see that every forum member has one good two-handed pocket knife to carry around.
You two guys are throwing off magnetic North.
smile.gif

Doc

Doc,
Just because you know I'm trying to get Peter Bauchop to make a full-sized folding Alley Cat you start picking on me.
smile.gif
Some friend!

------------------
--+Brian+--

I went through a period when I was very enamored of heavy folders. During that period, I bought a Gerber Parabellum and an Al Mar SERE folder. I still have both with their original sheaths. As have said in a different post, I occasionally carry the SERE, but have concluded that when I need a larger knife, I am better off with a fixed blade. I am uncertain what to do with either at this point, but am considering a possible sale or trade. Any suggestions?

I just included a new pic above as well as another with the sheaths in the FS/FT forum.

------------------
--+Brian+--

Back