Gerber Pixie

kvaughn

Gold Member
I picked up an older Gerber Pixie with the cast aluminum handle. It looks like a great little bird and trout knife. Does any one have any experience with these? Any suggestions as to who could make a nice sheath for it? thanx--

I used a Trout and Bird, same as Pixie, for trout fishing years ago. They're a great little knife made before Gerber sold out.
I'd get ahold of Dave at Lifter's Leather, he does real nice fixed blade sheaths, I'd go with a "swinger style".

Lifter4Him1@aol.com

Win

Tough little knife. In my ultralight backpacking days, I couldn't resist the appeal of a 1 oz. (29g) fixed blade with a 3/4 oz. sheath. It was often the only knife I carried. My only complaint is that the handle is a little slender for a solid grip.

Here's what the original sheath looks like:

Pixie2.jpg

Pixie1.jpg

Pixie3.jpg

I can recommend this style. You hardly notice it on your belt. Note that the belt loop is formed by folding the back of the sheath forward and tucking it inside the sheath, leaving the back completely smooth. I haven't seen this style elsewhere (maybe others have), but it works well.

Enjoy your new knife.

iSaur

The old tool steel ones took a hel of an edge , I knew a Vet. who used one as a PM knife . Good catch !

Chris

Actually the Bird and Trout had an integral "scooping spoon" at the end of the handle. Mine still sports its original brown leather. But if you plan on using it regularly, you may want to think about kydex. Although these older Gerbers can be found at bargain prices at fairs, flea markets, yard sales, etc., a kydex sheath can cost as much! But well worth it.

N.

www.dozierknives.com

Back