1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gerber StrongArm Real Vs Fake Counterfiet

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Yellowfin 2na, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Hey guys. I was duped into purchasing a fake Gerber Strongarm knife. I have made a video showing how to spot a fake strongarm knife as there are not any good comparison videos out there. I hope this video helps someone out. I am new to the forum so sorry if it's posted in the wrong spot. This video is not intended to promote the sale of counterfiet knives.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Mo2 and GIRLYmann like this.
  2. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    "I have purchased a knife off eBay....."

3. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    I see where you are going however there are legitimate knife sellers on Ebay......

4. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    craytab likes this.
  5. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    I just looked at the knife, and they all look fake to me.

6. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Lol not everyone knows that fake knives even exist. Its not a normal thing a regular person would know to even look for.

This post isn't made to gripe about me getting duped. It is simply for information purposes as there is very little information out there other than people saying "don't buy from ebay".

Jceckrosh
    Yes I am sure if you are so into knives to the point that you register to a forum and get into daily conversations about them then yes you would be able to identify them. But regular Joes would not.

7. jceckrosh

Mar 2, 2016
    I am not hassling you, or people who get scammed.

But you did completely miss my point.

8. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Maybe I did. For the record I didnt get scammed paypal protects all purchases and issued a refund.

9. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I consider videos like this to be a public service. Thanks for that.

However, did you ask to return the knife and follow up the request w/eBay if the seller refused to accept it? Doesn't matter if the seller says s/he will not accept returns. You can return any item if it is "not" as described. A knife purported to be real which is determined to be fake is "not as described" and eBay will support your claim for a return & refund. So, if you didn't do this, you weren't "duped" into buying the fake; you just accepted it.

FWIW, I've spent thousands of dollars on knives that I purchased on eBay and the vast majority of these sales have been problem free. I have successfully filed a claim for certain knives that were "not as described" which were supported by eBay. I have also returned knifes for free w/o question to sellers who offer that service. On the other hand, I was actually tipped BY THE SELLER that the Yojimbo that I bought from him might be a fake; a fact he only learned after he posted the ad and that I was not aware of at the time I bought it. After doing some research that I reported to the Seller which determined that the knife was a fake, he immediately refunded the purchase price to me.

So, I don't accept the "never buy a knife on eBay" slogan. Many vintage and discontinued knives can only be found on eBay, if they can't be found here or on other knife trading sites, and you can buy knives (and any thing else there) without difficulty if you are a careful and informed buyer. Just as with all things you purchase, caveat emptor.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    B Griffin likes this.
  10. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Thank you for that information. Yes I was issued a refund for the knife and the seller has been reported.

B Griffin likes this.
  11. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Welcome to the forum

12. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Thank you very much!

13. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Thank you very much!

14. jceckrosh

Mar 2, 2016
    What I meant was this is the type of bland uninspired budgety knife that just looks like a poorly executed rip off of something else.

15. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Aww man sorry you feel that way. I think its a great knife.

B Griffin likes this.
  16. jceckrosh

Mar 2, 2016
    It may in fact be a great knife.

17. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    OP your right about the average person not knowing about knife clones so glad you made the video and explained the differences. My initial response was going to be that the clone could possibly even be an upgrade to original cause it's a cheap knife(and I'm a snob ;), tho like many gerber models) but that does not look like the case at all. Grind looks awful on the clone and sure ht is worse too. I own a clone that was gifted to me and VERY surprised how good the edge retention is, the pivot screw has already stripped tho. Didn't realize was a clone until a mod here pointed it out to me.

I remember years back i had bought like 4 fallkniven f1s for $30 a piece cause thought i found a "deal", but after i bought them i seen someones video on fallkniven clones and quickly canceled the order before they shipped. So good to see people making clone comparison videos even for cheap knives as chances are it will save someone from buying a clone. :thumbsup:

LizaMari likes this.
  18. Yellowfin 2na

Yellowfin 2na

Mar 27, 2019
    Thank you for your response and taking the video for what it was intended.

19. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Hopefully gerber would use strongarm tactics to address the situation.
    But yeah, the vdo does highlight the issue of buying from a virtual platform versus a brick & mortar store where savvy folks with a keen eye for fake spotting could at least be able to avert supporting fakers.

20. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Had good luck on eprey for years, then they decided to side with the peddler of fakes. Never again.

Mo2 likes this.