"German" Bull Brand Knife

Disappointed with this “German” Bull Brand Congress.

The dye used in the bone handle is not color fast. I have soaked this knife at least four times, this is the fourth round, the dye is water soluble; as you can see the water is pink. If you use this knife with wet hands you will end up with red fingers.

I consider this very poor as dyes should be colorfast.

I used a paper towel to wipe down the knife, that color is what the dye will look like on your clothes.

The handles were a darker red before I started soaking. I like the current "Candy Apple Red" but that will fade as more dye comes out.

A little bit of surface rust has appeared.

IMG_3987Germanstampontang_zpscb5670b4.jpg

IMG_3983RedBullKniferedwater_zps1ca91402.jpg

IMG_3985GermanBullCongress_zps1b5c5416.jpg

I am skeptical whether these are German made, regardless of the tang stamping. The overall fit and finish is consistent with Chinese made knives except the bolsters are crudely ground. Instead of a pleasing contour someone just broke the edges unevenly. Looks chunky and asymmetrical.

I suspect that Frost Cutlery has figured out a way to “game” content laws so they can label Pakistani or Chinese knives as German made.

A brief review of the literature tells us the place of origin of these knives is wrapped in mystery. Caveat emptor.

I was drooling over the german bull sodbuster pics I found last night. you may have saved me 45 bucks. thanks.

I have several of the lock back German Bull Sod Busters. They are well worth the $45 price......They are made in Germany under contract. The stag is amazing on some of them. The lock up is good, but a few have slight play. The one I carried has held a good edge. For $45 I can't see how you could go wrong.....

My wife got me one for Christmas. I like it lots. it does have a very slight front to back play, but not enough to worry me. not fantastic stag, but very nice. It is much bigger than I imagined.

I have a Boker copperhead. The blue bone covers bled die for quite a while. I kept soaking & washing, the problem stopped after a while.
From memory, the blades are stamped like yours, I shall have to check. The fitting of the covers is less than perfect. You make me wonder if mine is fake.
The walk & talk, & blade quality, are perfect, however.

Back