German EO - Solingen Tang Stamp?

This one just arrived, and it is pretty nice. It has great 1/2 stops and nice action. Seller described it as stag, jigging is real similar to a Schmidt and Zeigler (Stag) I have and also a Boker (Bone) in the accumulation.

I spent some time researching the M over B stamp and have turned up nothing. Does this look familiar to anyone? Pen blade is not marked.

Thanks

GermanEO013MLarge_zps3c6395cd.jpg

GermanEO022MLarge_zps7c344a14.jpg

GermanEO035MLarge_zpsb2cffd4b.jpg

GermanEO030MLarge_zps67084a47.jpg

I don't think it is stag, most likely jigged bone, although could be second cut jigged stag. Beautiful knife.

Yeah, I'm assuming bone, but was proven wrong via records on the S&Z.

----------

Thanks. It looked to be quality, so I took a gamble on the unknown stamp, but it seems pretty right. Nice condition with a thin master blade, pen is a bit thicker.

Nice knife. It does look like bone rather than stag though. In Sheffield (and perhaps elsewhere in Europe), jigged bone was often referred to as 'stag bone', the term is increasingly in use again (with misleading intent today I feel) because of the shortage of decent stag caused by the export ban on Sambar.

Thanks for all the kind works, it really does carry well. :D

I naturally assume bone also. Here is the S&Z that turned out to be dyed stag, and the Boker that is is sure to be bone.

Researched a good bit yesterday and was not able to turn anything up on the "MB". The hunt continues.

SampZStockman023Large_zps4ee4adb9.jpg

2013-05-03_16-08-28_774_zps375a4a79.jpg

Did you say that the pen blade is thicker than the master? That's a unique trait, for sure. Nice one ya got there! :thumbup:

Yup, it is hard to get a good pic of it. The blade stock is the same thickness at the tang, but the main is ground to about 1/2 the thickness or less at the tip. The pen reaches all the way to the EO cutout, and it doesn't look short.

P1010002M_zps1273dc1c.jpg

Ah ha. Mystery solved.

According to a friend, "Goins says..."FORGED STEEL MADE IN GERMANY g 1950-1970 "B" inside a circle is stamped on the front of the tang" "

So "FORGED STEEL" appears to BE the brand, not just a description. Now, ya know how hard it is to find specific info about "Forged Steel"? Ha ha......

Back