Get rid of Killer Bees

If they are regular honeybees then look for a local beekeepers organization and somebody would be happy to get them.

The bad news is you are in TX right?? So chance of them being Africanized and to my understanding there's not really any way to know for sure.

But as somebody mentioned when a swarm takes off all the workers gorge themselves on honey and are docile. If you can find the queen and move her they will follow her. That is how they do the "bee beards" you just put the queen on your chin and all the bees swarm to her.

Anyway usually a swarm will light in a location while the workers look for a new home. Then they take off en masse heading for that new home.

A beekeeper can just go up and sweep them into a box or nucleus hive, making sure the queen falls in and all the bees will go right in.:thumbup:

PS Pic?

I say fire up the weed eater, put on some gloves and mow em down!

And have your wife ready with the video camera.

Of course shooting with a gun is a great way to disturb them:D They should give up soon enough. Good thing they went into that tree as they also like setting up home inside attics and other enclosed spaces.

Of course shooting with a gun is a great way to disturb them:D They should give up soon enough. Good thing they went into that tree as they also like setting up home inside attics and other enclosed spaces.

"Your firearms are useless against them!"

[youtube]HQriSWN6JQc[/youtube]

Curious mind want to know?????:eek:

...and I discovered a nest of yellowjackets has established itself in the landscaping next to my front door.

So now *I* need to kill some bees.

...and I discovered a nest of yellowjackets has established itself in the landscaping next to my front door.

So now *I* need to kill some bees.

Yellow jackets are nasty, mean-spirited beasts! I found out the hard way when I disturbed a nest that I didn't know was there. I never got off a ladder faster in my life.:(

What I've used in the past is the insecticide Sevin (carbaryl). It is very toxic to bees, wasps, and yellow jackets. It is probably what an exterminator would use. It comes in both liquid and powder forms. I'd go with the liquid.

Yellow jackets are nasty, mean-spirited beasts! I found out the hard way when I disturbed a nest that I didn't know was there. I never got off a ladder faster in my life.:(

What I've used in the past is the insecticide Sevin (carbaryl). It is very toxic to bees, wasps, and yellow jackets. It is probably what an exterminator would use. It comes in both liquid and powder forms. I'd go with the liquid.
Thanks for the tip!!!

I'm not sure what I've got, but it's worked really well in the past. The problem with the ground nests is they basically put in a P-trap, so you can't easily fog them out, and if you pour liquid down it... well, it doesn't make it into the actual hive. Ground nests are the biggest pain when it comes to these guy.

My late sheltie was very good at catching yellowjackets in her mouth and killing them with a snap. I miss her every day, but really wish she could help me out with these guys today.

Last edited:
Back